Around the League 2022

Bobby816

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Looking at regular season rankings…turnovers and sacks seem to be more important than total defense.  Cincy gets pressure and forced 3 TOs.  SF relies on its DL to generate pressure. Chiefs don’t have a great defense but gets TOs.  Bills have a great defense and get TOs. Dallas won in the regular season by getting a ton of TOs.

We need an edge and LB badly then we need another weapon at WR and need a TE. Should be a simple for us, we’ll see how long it takes though. 

TE, S in FA, DE, OL, WR, LB with our first 4 picks. Every other pick you bring in your guys to compete (like how they did with CB). 

Sacks and Turnovers are vital yes, they're what this defense was based around generating but we just dont have the EDGE threats to bring enough pressure, when we did we beat the #1 seed in the AFC even though they were missing two guys on offense you see what heavy pressure does to a QB. 

This weekend really made me want to invest in the O-Line heavily honestly. Something about being able to impose your will on a team and break them down all the way down the field and allow no pressure around your QB has become a bit underrated. 

Douglas and Saleh definitely watched closely this weekend and I'm sure the game that spoke to them the most was GB/SF. That was pure trench warfare. That's where they want us to be great. 

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This weekend really made me want to invest in the O-Line heavily honestly. Something about being able to impose your will on a team and break them down all the way down the field and allow no pressure around your QB has become a bit underrated. 

Douglas and Saleh definitely watched closely this weekend and I'm sure the game that spoke to them the most was GB/SF. That was pure trench warfare. That's where they want us to be great. 

that is the key, that is way we must go in the draft. I want that center from Iowa.

This is really simple. You either have a really good O and average to below average D or a really good D with average to below average O. You can't have both because your money can only pay for so many stud guys. It is very rare to have both. If you try to have good at both you end up at the bottom for years. The Jets need to decided to take the good o or the good D. Now with that said you also have to factor in the QB play. Is Zach Wilson the guy for the Jets. I sure hope so but he has a LONG ways to go. I said this before Zach is not the answer but Saleh and JD put their jobs on the line for this guy. If the Jets are not in the playoff hunt this year and are out early you will see a big change in 2023. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

That said, I still think the primary focus right now should be building the offense, given the investment we have made in Wilson.

Not disagreeing at all, but lets say we get a RG and TE in FA and draft a Dotson and McBride in round 2 or maybe even a Likely in round 3, is that not enough at this point?  Do we need a WR or OL at 4 or 10?  This is with caveat that Becton assumes a starting position.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I'm always pro building the OL. The bigger thing with building the OL is how you can run the ball and control the clock. Most these teams nowadays win by slinging the ball around. And it works. But if you can run AND pass, where a defense has to respect both, all while control the clock... you're in the driver seat. The odds are stacked against Wilson ever being as good as Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc. (trust me I hope he does get in that tier) so to be able to run the ball and control the clock against these great young QBs in the AFC will be big. I feel the only way to beat these powerhouse offenses is by scoring and keeping them off the field. Bc you're not really going to shut them down on defense. They're just too good. 

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Look how having the #1 defense did for BUF? They just lost giving up 42 points. Bc a lot of these good teams you can hope to contain and get key stops on. But you’re surely not stopping them all together. So you have to keep up with them point wise. We’re never going to be able to keep these top teams low scoring, even if we invest heavily on defense. We can try and score with them though, if we invest on the offense. 

So imagine if they didn't have a good defense.  There is a reason why the teams with a good offense AND defense are contending. The only team up that didn't have a top-15 defense is the bengals and that's because they played the Raiders whose defense was worse. 

Our defense was Giving up just as many points as the #1 scoring offense in the league was scoring per game. So just playing anyone at all, Wilson had to score 35 every game. In the playoffs, he has to score 50+ because our defense would have given up more than 42 in that game. 

Like I said,  we're just going to become the Chargers and Saints the years they came up short. Chiefs had the #8 scoring defense in the league,  so they were good enough to contend with. If we're trying to win, can't put Wilson in that position every week. I'm not saying ignore the offense,  I'm saying don't forget about the defense.  

Edited by rickyt31

24 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

So imagine if they didn't have a good defense.  There is a reason why the teams with a good offense AND defense are contending. The only team up that didn't have a top-15 defense is the bengals and that's because they played the Raiders whose defense was worse. 

Our defense was Giving up just as many points as the #1 scoring offense in the league was scoring per game. So just playing anyone at all, Wilson had to score 35 every game. In the playoffs, he has to score 50+ because our defense would have given up more than 42 in that game. 

Like I said,  we're just going to become the Chargers and Saints the years they came up short. Chiefs had the #8 scoring defense in the league,  so they were hood enough to contend with. If we're trying to win, can't put Wilson in that position every week. I'm not saying ignore the offense,  I'm saying don't forget about the defense.  

Not true. KC has the 6th worst D in the NFL. LAR and CIN are in the bottom half of the league. SF is the only team with a top D left. While of the 4 teams remaining 3 are top 10 and one 13th in offense. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm always pro building the OL. The bigger thing with building the OL is how you can run the ball and control the clock. Most these teams nowadays win by slinging the ball around. And it works. But if you can run AND pass, where a defense has to respect both, all while control the clock... you're in the driver seat. The odds are stacked against Wilson ever being as good as Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc. (trust me I hope he does get in that tier) so to be able to run the ball and control the clock against these great young QBs in the AFC will be big. I feel the only way to beat these powerhouse offenses is by scoring and keeping them off the field. Bc you're not really going to shut them down on defense. They're just too good. 

Makes sense, also gives your defense enough rest to be fresh enough to get those stops. It has to be demoralizing to go out there possession after possession and never get a stop. 

Balance is all I want. I think Wilson, eventually, will be able to go throw for throw with them but I just dont want to have to rely on that. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not true. KC has the 6th worst D in the NFL. LAR and CIN are in the bottom half of the league. SF is the only team with a top D left. While of the 4 teams remaining 3 are top 10 and one 13th in offense. 

Not in points allowed per game. KC was 8th, Rams 15th, and Cin was 17th. 

Honestly, there is nothing that can be said to convince me that we shouldn't take a balanced building approach. We're not even going to win the AFC east being good on one side of the ball. We don't have to build the 2000 Ravens, but we need a defense that gives Wilson a chance. That's all I'm going to say. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Not in points allowed per game. KC was 8th, Rams 15th, and Cin was 17th. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Honestly, there is nothing that can be said to convince me that we shouldn't take a balanced building approach. We're not even going to win the AFC east being good on one side of the ball. We don't have to build the 2000 Ravens, but we need a defense that gives Wilson a chance. That's all I'm going to say. 

No one is saying we shouldn’t have a balanced off-season. I’m merely saying that we can build the defense sure. But in the AFC with Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, etc. We’ll have to score points to win. A good defensive game against these QBs is keeping them under 28. Which means we still need to score 4 TDs to be in games against these teams. And these guys are going nowhere I’ve rage next decade.

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No one is saying we shouldn’t have a balanced off-season. I’m merely saying that we can build the defense sure. But in the AFC with Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, etc. We’ll have to score points to win. A good defensive game against these QBs is keeping them under 28. Which means we still need to score 4 TDs to be in games against these teams. And these guys are going nowhere I’ve rage next decade.

And no one said ignore the offense. I was literally talking about how it takes building with balance because the top teams not only have great offenses, they have good enough defenses. You jumped in talking about low scoring games and it wouldn't matter even if we improved the defense as if I said invest everything in the defense. Our defense is so bad, us giving up 28ppg would be a small improvement. We need our defense to get into the top half at least if we want to make the playoffs and actually have a chance. 

The chargers averaged more points than the Pats, Bengals, Rams, Cardinals, 49ers, and Titans. Why did they miss? Because their defense didn't give 5,000yds & 41Tds Herbert a chance. Even their defense was better than ours. We need guys on that side just as much as we need guys on offense. 

Good, we're on the same page about balance building. 

I've mentioned the idea of Trading for Michael Thomas before, I'm still open to it, but I have my concerns. At the same time, the Saints are about to have a fire sale and MT could come without a high pick. I'm stuck on this one. 

DK maybe interested in coming to us if he can call his shot. Him and Moore are friends. 

Edited by rickyt31

44 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Good, we're on the same page about balance building. 

I've mentioned the idea of Trading for Michael Thomas before, I'm still open to it, but I have my concerns. At the same time, the Saints are about to have a fire sale and MT could come without a high pick. I'm stuck on this one. 

DK maybe interested in coming to us if he can call his shot. Him and Moore are friends. 

I do think we make some sort of trade for an established player this off-season. My guess would be at WR, DE or TE.