Back to the Bay- Raiders vs 49ers #3 preseason game

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

My whole thing if It only took a joint practice for some of the starters to get hurt what would happen if we had played them tomorrow. 

At the same time we have a lot of young players that you need to see develop so I can understand either way.

I completely understand why you limit them but keeping them out the entire time is not good either.  Getting a few series in during the preseason would help a lot.  Giving 90% of the reps to the young guys if beneficial to the health of your starters and development of the young guys.  100% is to  much because the preseason games is where you get that first true game speed and intensity.  The only positive I see is that the Ravens are doing the same thing so it is an even playing field.  If we got the starters out there this week that could give us an advantage though in week 1.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I completely understand why you limit them but keeping them out the entire time is not good either.  Getting a few series in during the preseason would help a lot.  Giving 90% of the reps to the young guys if beneficial to the health of your starters and development of the young guys.  100% is to  much because the preseason games is where you get that first true game speed and intensity.  The only positive I see is that the Ravens are doing the same thing so it is an even playing field.  If we got the starters out there this week that could give us an advantage though in week 1.

Right I see that perspective for sure. I just don’t want any more starters getting hurt on some fluke stuff

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

My whole thing if It only took a joint practice for some of the starters to get hurt what would happen if we had played them tomorrow. 

At the same time we have a lot of young players that you need to see develop so I can understand either way.

Our maybe they’re not contact ready which is important cause I’m pretty sure it’s not a lot of tackling to the ground done in practice or scrimmages only in the games. Not to mention crowd atmosphere real refs etc etc nothing can compare to real in game experience I think

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Our maybe they’re not contact ready which is important cause I’m pretty sure it’s not a lot of tackling to the ground done in practice or scrimmages only in the games. Not to mention crowd atmosphere real refs etc etc nothing can compare to real in game experience I think

The refs part I’m not really tripping off of because of the fact that they have refs at practice along with the fact they’re just being in the preseason atmosphere and allegiant stadium you get used to just being in one of the louder stadiums period. I’m more worried about the tackling to the ground like you said.

I feel like in today’s NFL it’s really important to have preseason for that reason alone.

But with the injuries off of to joint practices I can see why if they didn’t play anyone

Edited by Jeremy408

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Its not the same thing.  It is better than just practicing against your own team but still not like a game even if it is preseason.  We will see but teams that sit their starters through the entire preseason start of slow.  

Luckily the Ravens haven't played their starters either, lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

The refs part I’m not really tripping off of because of the fact that they have refs at practice along with the fact they’re just being in the preseason atmosphere and allegiant stadium you get used to just being in one of the louder stadiums period. I’m more worried about the tackling to the ground like you said.

I feel like in today’s NFL it’s really important to have preseason for that reason alone.

But with the injuries off of to joint practices I can see why if they didn’t play anyone

I hear you but last year it wasn’t a preseason iirc and we had injuries all across the board. So not playing preseason doesn’t necessarily equal less injuries. 

10 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I hear you but last year it wasn’t a preseason iirc and we had injuries all across the board. So not playing preseason doesn’t necessarily equal less injuries. 

Yeah for sure. It’s just that when they happen in a game that you didn’t necessarily need to play it’s tough. That’s my whole thing.

16 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah for sure. It’s just that when they happen in a game that you didn’t necessarily need to play it’s tough. That’s my whole thing.

I really wanted to see hr3 especially. I think a solid preseason would do wonders esp for his confidence I highly doubt practice can give him that work that an actual game will. I think players like him would really benefit from preseason. Normally I’d be ok with sitting guys but we have so many new players at different positions I’m really concerned about chemistry. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I really wanted to see hr3 especially. I think a solid preseason would do wonders esp for his confidence I highly doubt practice can give him that work that an actual game will. I think players like him would really benefit from preseason. Normally I’d be ok with sitting guys but we have so many new players at different positions I’m really concerned about chemistry. 

💯 Ruggs in Arnette have everything to gain by playing in preseason. It’s just that I think about how both of them got hurt like the first and second weeks of the season and the impact it had on them throughout the season it just seems like the staff just wants them healthy lol. What I will say though is that we have depth at receiver to where if Ruggs got hurt he wouldn’t need to come back immediately.

It's a tricky decision whether to rest or play certain players in pre season. I think the problem with not playing is that players bodies are not then conditioned to the real speed and intensity of hitting and may be more likely to get injured in the season.

It's a balancing act and as said above, I think players like Ruggs, Edwards, Arnette could definitely use the real game time and I would have risked certainly a series or two especially as they might have been facing backups and gaining confidence and chemistry. I just don't think you can replicate that in practice and if you do you still run the injury risk. We never had a preseason when I played football but when I played rugby it was absolutely crucial to get your body conditioned to the beatings, especially if you'd had an op or two in the off season. You just couldn't replicate that in training, though I did once tear an ACL in pre season so there is that 😬.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Normally I’d be ok with sitting guys but we have so many new players at different positions I’m really concerned about chemistry. 

Do we really though? Almost all of our younger players have played while guys like Carr, Jacobs, Waller, etc. have sat out.