Week 1- Cowboys @ Bucs - Season Opener

ravishingone

We had no business winning that game with the turnovers and penalties. Still, when we were clicking, we were mf'ing clicking. Lets not forget last year we went 1-3 in primetime games, barely beating the Giants in our 1 win. So already an improvement there this year. 

Hell Yeah

- In a twist fit for M. Night, special teams might have won us the game today. Between a big Mickens return, some great punts, and a game winning FG.. our weakest unit last year actually pulled through in primetime. 
- Tom MF'n Brady. Looked better than ever. Obviously the two INTs were not on him. He could have easily had ~450 yards and 6 TDs if a couple plays go as they usually do. 
- Vita Vea is an animal. I'm already sad he has to retire one day. Should get an All-Pro nod as people notice him with the attention we're getting these days. 
- Gronk is going to have a big year. His connection with Brady is just insane, and he's looking more and more in playing shape. 
- Antonio Brown has not lost a step.
- Neither has Lavonte. He was probably our best player on D last night. 
- Alex Cappa played great for his first real game back from injury after looking shaky in the preseason. 
- Joe Tryon-Shoyinka bringing some pressure on the interception play, had a QB hit, and getting a decent amount of snaps. Very promising for a rookie, on a championship team, playing behind two stars, in his first real game in 21 months. 

Meh

- We let up a huge number of yards in the air, but overall can't be mad at the D. We were playing down two starters in the secondary most of the game, and had to go to our 4th safety for a bit. Dak is the best QB we're going to see all year, we were going up against maybe the best O-Line we'll see all year, against the best receiving corps we'll see all year.  This was probably the toughest game for our secondary, and they did enough to keep them out of the end zone and get us the W. 

- Only 1 sack on 58 pass attempts, but the pressure was there and made Dak throw early. A big reason why he only averaged 6.9 yards/attempt.. which translates to a ~210 yard game if he passed a normal amount (~30 attempts) of times. 

- Tristan Wirfs didn't have his best game, but still overall the OL gave up no sacks on a night where we barely ran the ball. Can't complain too much there. He was going up against Lawrence too, who's had an elite PFF grade over the past 4 years. 

- Devin White had a quiet game, which isn't the worst thing. If this is his low point now then thats a hell of a lot better than before where he got burnt all game. 

Not Good

- Tackling. We missed a few and gave up some extra yards/first downs. Gotta clean it up. 
- Penalties. Over 100 yards, the most since the Bears game. 
- Turnovers. The RoJo/Lenny sequence could have broken the game open for the Cowboys, we were lucky to survive that. The Godwin fumble cost us a TD. Protect the ball over everything down there, we're too good in the RZ we were going to score either way. 

• Like 4

This is a big year for Jamel Dean. Week 1 he got smoked like a turkey but he has a lot of games to redeem himself. Think Bowles put a lot of pressure on his DBs and we just dont match up with shifty fast twitch WR core. 

Davis on the other hand is ready for a pay day. SMB and him look like fluid hip to hip corners, Dean not so much. He’s def a matchup player for big body WRs. It took Davis like 3 years before he came into his own so ima be patient with them. 

If Antonio brown is gonna be Antonio brown especially being paid peanuts than chris Godwin at his salary is definitely a luxury for Tampa. 

There not gonna change anything now but if I was Tampa I would much rather have an elite player in the secondary than Godwin. Heck not even elite just a good consistent number 2 corner to Carlton who is approaching elite status. 

Like Dean is an average corner who shows flashes(first packers game) of greatness but just goes through lapses to much. SMB was one of the worst corners in the NFL all till last year he got some nice playoff interceptions. Carlton is really good but he’s not Alexander or a Ramsey or someone like that. He got torched in the nfc title game.

Edited by CP3MVP

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

If Antonio brown is gonna be Antonio brown especially being paid peanuts than chris Godwin at his salary is definitely a luxury for Tampa. 

There not gonna change anything now but if I was Tampa I would much rather have an elite player in the secondary than Godwin. Heck not even elite just a good consistent number 2 corner to Carlton who is approaching elite status. 

Like Dean is an average corner who shows flashes(first packers game) of greatness but just goes through lapses to much. SMB was one of the worst corners in the NFL all till last year he got some nice playoff interceptions. Carlton is really good but he’s not Alexander or a Ramsey or someone like that. He got torched in the nfc title game.

No need to overreact. The Bucs should have put 42 on the board.

I would not trade Godwin for a #2 corner and you’re not getting a #1CB for a WR. 

Keep the deadly offense, blitz less to help your CB and things should improve. Also, our CBs were playing one of the beat receiving group in the league

Edited by Dalan162
  • Like 2

I think it's worth a discussion but also realistically the secondary from last year should improve from last year as the season goes on.

SMB got torched and then injured and then you were down 2 secondary starters and everything was on real thin ice against the best WR trio you will face all year.

You'll need a really good secondary to win the Super Bowl but I'm not sure why the secondary can't do it again as they get more experience. 

I'm not sure if I would trade someone like Godwin for a corner. There are only so many elite corners. If you could get one of them, okay but they aren't available. 

Bowles is going to figure it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dalan162 said:

No need to overreact. The Bucs should have put 42 on the board.

I would not trade Godwin for a #2 corner and you’re not getting a #1CB for a WR. 

Keep the deadly offense, blitz less to help your CB and things should improve. Also, our CBs were playing one of the beat receiving group in the league

I would absolutely trade Godwin for a number 2 corner. You don’t need him. 

Remember you don’t have great safeties either. You HOPE Winfield can be great down the line. Again it’s never going to happen just a thought. I think there gonna have to choose between brown and Godwin after the season anyway. 

20 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I would absolutely trade Godwin for a number 2 corner. You don’t need him. 

Remember you don’t have great safeties either. You HOPE Winfield can be great down the line. Again it’s never going to happen just a thought. I think there gonna have to choose between brown and Godwin after the season anyway. 

Then do it after the season.