Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

57 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

WoT was before GOT or Harry Potter so it’s not ripping off those two at all. The other way perhaps. I think GRR Martin has said he was influenced by this series.

I meant more so visually and how it was adapted to screen.  In terms of plot points, almost all high fantasy is going to hit a lot of the same beats of the heroes journey.

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

he went all rage monster and killed lost control and killed his wife. Was I not supposed to infer that his weird visions of ember eyes make him lose control? 

They were in the middle of a battle with the Trollocs and she was unfortunately collateral damage. It seemed pretty accidental to me. The ember eyes are a good point but I could have sworn they were in everyone else’s dreams also, which happens after they left their home. I think it’s implied that the main guy doesn’t know which one it is either. But he knows it’s one of the four.

34 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

he went all rage monster and killed lost control and killed his wife. Was I not supposed to infer that his weird visions of ember eyes make him lose control? 

...must not get into spoilers but you're onto something kinda...

BTW, did ya'll notice that his wife had a weapon raised at him? 

12 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

...must not get into spoilers but you're onto something kinda...

BTW, did ya'll notice that his wife had a weapon raised at him? 

Yeah, but I didn’t think it was directed at him, but at the trolloc in case it somehow killed Perrin. That or sloppy choreography, so that Perrin’s abdominal shot didn’t hit her right arm and just maim her. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

ooh.. didn't realize this thread existed

Pre-show thoughts:

I hated the books, and actually quit somewhere in the 4th book. The pacing was atrocious. The character work was awful, particularly the women (I'm not accusing the author of being sexist, I just think he writes women extremely poorly and one-dimensional). Interpersonal relationships are awful. He is the classic "tells, not shows" author for all the important things, yet prattles on for pages and pages of uneccesary description. But the story itself seemed cool.

I was actually VERY excited for the show. Because ALL of the problems I mentioned can be easily fixed in visual media with a new script written by talented writers. And the level of investment and dedication made me excited

Thoughts on first 3 episodes:

Obviously they made changes. I didn't super care for Perrin's wife/fridging situation, but I get it. I'm also subscribing to the theory that she was a darkfriend. In her death, it looked like she was about to kill him, and hard to find an alternative explanation for her behavior. Then in the dream where the wolves were eating her body, I'm interpreting as being a bad sign for her, because reasons. I enjoyed Mat's changes. A lot of people are upset that they made him "a thief", but man, his character sucked in the early books, and I quit before he apparently gets good. Giving him a little bit of development early was a gigantic improvement. Egwene and Rand are basically what I expected from them. I'm totally down with aging the characters up and letting them get it on. Like.. it's 2021. It's fine. We don't have to be all "oh shucks, you wool headed sheepherder". Although I do wish Lan called Rand "sheephearder" more. It was a solid nickname/dig.

Whitecloaks are awesome, and lowkey, I loved how the focus early on seems to be JUST as much on Whitecloaks/Darkfriends/Aes Sedai as it is the Two Rivers 5. It's a massive improvement on the first book, and shows they are going big picture into the world instead of a focused storyline. 

Thoughts from my non-book reader friends:

I talked with 4 people. All 4 of them guessed a different dragon. One of them was correct. One of them guessed someone who wasn't even part of the list, although I appreciate their thought process. I won't say who they guessed, but I'm guessing you can guess who they guessed.

All 4 of them generally had higher marks for the show than more book readers I saw online. That's promising. After the first day it seemed like the book fandom was trying to tank the show by being negative about it.

Outlook

I do think this has "cultural zeitgeist" potential, depending on how the rest of the season goes. It could easily build momentem and become a real thing. I'm not sure they will come up with a proper "Ned Stark moment", which is what I believe was the catalyst for it getting huge. There needs to be a moment that makes fans go "oh, I need to talk to my friends about this and make them tune in also". I haven't seen that moment in the first 3 episodes yet, and I think its critical that they do it during the 1st season

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 5

Episode 4 was a strong entry - easily the best of the season IMO

I love that they are highlighting some "signs" from a lot of key characters. It's keeping up a lot of suspense that I didn't feel from the books, as I thought I had a good beat on things

Giving good story time to each of the groups (although I wish we had some Whitecloaks involved)

I think the show is doing well explaining some of the important things, without ruining the flow of the episode

We're getting a lot of progression from 2/3 storylines, and I'm very interested to see how it goes forward. And I said it in my last post, I'm SO glad its a bigger story than the actual first book. Laying in some of these other factions to a larger degree is VERY good decision making

• Like 3

The Pacing and dialogue is much better after watching episode 4, although I thought Mat’s corruption was abrupt and convenient for that Fade encounter. It still was cool.

After Rand’s dream, I admit I was probably wrong about Perrin’s wife NOT being a Darkfriend.

I hope we get to see or are told how Thom survives that Fade ordeal, if he does. 

I’m glad I haven’t read the books considering how mad some of the book followers are getting at the ending of episode 4, and how much this show apparently departs from the author’s work.
Overall I’m enjoying it, but can see both of why some of the book followers are not, and why some viewers/critics might be put off by all the ‘magic’.

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I’m glad I haven’t read the books considering how mad some of the book followers are getting at the ending of episode 4, and how much this show apparently departs from the author’s work.
Overall I’m enjoying it, but can see both of why some of the book followers are not, and why some viewers might be put off by all the magic. 

These people can get wrecked.. It's a self-important sabotage of the show they love

All adaptations have changes. If the true book one followed the show it would be a weak *** cheap imitation of LOTR

They've made some changes, added some scenes, and introduced some characters that are more "later characters", but that's how to screenwrite a long show effectively. The whitecloaks were not big in the books, the Aes Sedai were not prevalent (only Moirane), one specific character was referenced and mostly off-screen in book one, but its hugely important to get them time now

There are two primary characters who were nothing short of awful in the books, and I assume those are the characters people have a problem with the changes, but it was ABSOLUTELY neccesary to keep people involved

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 4

So ive seen all the episodes, which then sent me spiraling into ~2-3 hours of researching all about the books, the characters, weaving, power levels, different tribes, etc. 

What a mess.... at least now I can enjoy the show with a half-arsed understanding of the general plot dynamics

• Like 1