2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Ok so @DreamKid and I have been touting all process just how bad of a position the Ravens are in at pick 14 relative to the top prospects at positions of need, and as we get closer to the draft it looks like maybe 1-2 QB/WRs combined may go before our pick? So it looks like our fears are going to be realized R1.

However, a positive spin zone...

It’s likely that damn near 7-10 QB/WRs come off the board after our first round pick and before our second round pick. Which obviously isn’t as ideal as that happening in the top 10 of the first, BUT...if that’s the case we’re looking at a potential top 30ish non-QB/WR falling to pick #45 for us. Which if you wanna look at the bright side is almost like a 2nd first round pick value wise.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Ok so @DreamKid and I have been touting all process just how bad of a position the Ravens are in at pick 14 relative to the top prospects at positions of need, and as we get closer to the draft it looks like maybe 1-2 QB/WRs combined may go before our pick? So it looks like our fears are going to be realized R1.

However, a positive spin zone...

It’s likely that damn near 7-10 QB/WRs come off the board after our first round pick and before our second round pick. Which obviously isn’t as ideal as that happening in the top 10 of the first, BUT...if that’s the case we’re looking at a potential top 30ish non-QB/WR falling to pick #45 for us. Which if you wanna look at the bright side is almost like a 2nd first round pick value wise.

So basically we gon have to “reach” value wise in the first to turn around and get a “steal” value wise in the 2nd… #Tough

• Like 1

Can't shake the feeling that this is one of the worst draft classes of the last 15 years imo. Particularly for the Ravens when factoring in our needs and just how important this window is, with Lamar in or close to his prime and soon to be on his second contract.

We need impact players on Rookie contracts and I'm highly skeptical that this class is capable of yielding us more than a couple of hits- even with so many picks. A 'hit' in this class will likely look much different than usual too.

It's hard to find a player outside of the Top 50 that I would feel comfortable starting Day 1 for us- at really any position of need. 

Don't want to be overly pessimistic but I'm having horror flashes of videos like "Why George Karlaftis just couldn't stick for the Baltimore Ravens" or "Looking Back: Were Cordale Flott and Mathew Butler destined to fail for the Ravens?". 

Part of me really just wants to trade up for Ikem Ekwonu because I know no matter what every down we can just run behind him and gain positive yardage. That security is beyond comforting in a draft as grimey as this.

I think Ravens fans may be overlooking Marcus Jones as a target because of a feared redundancy with Devin Duvernay in the return game. 

- We have no slot CB on the roster.

- Our FO traditionally loves DBs who make plays on the ball and rack up INT return yards. That return ability isn't limited to kicks.

- The FO has also overlooked size concerns at CB/DB if they feel there's talent there. Just last year they won the bidding war for UDFA Ar'Darius Washington(5'7, 4.0 RAS). Webb, Carr, Young, Wilson, Starks, etc etc. Plenty of 5'10 and unders have chilled in our CB room.

If he makes it there, I see him as very much in play for our picks in the 3rd or 4th Round.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Part of me wonders if it was just a fast track.

Lance Zierlein has said on his podcast with Dane Brugler on The Athletic that he was told by people in the Colts organisation that it is a fast track - apparently the Colts laid new turf in 2020 and this was the first Combine since that.

IIRC he was postulating that it might have been worth 0.1sec in the 40

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Outside of the top 4 guys I think Ebiketie and Bonitto might be my favourite EDGE prospects, but they also aren't very Ravens-y.  There's probably far greater chance we end up with Enagbare/Wright/Paschal instead as more of a power rusher/edge setter than a true speed/bendy pass rusher

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think Ravens fans may be overlooking Marcus Jones as a target because of a feared redundancy with Devin Duvernay in the return game. 

- We have no slot CB on the roster.

- Our FO traditionally loves DBs who make plays on the ball and rack up INT return yards. That return ability isn't limited to kicks.

- The FO has also overlooked size concerns at CB/DB if they feel there's talent there. Just last year they won the bidding war for UDFA Ar'Darius Washington(5'7, 4.0 RAS). Webb, Carr, Young, Wilson, Starks, etc etc. Plenty of 5'10 and unders have chilled in our CB room.

If he makes it there, I see him as very much in play for our picks in the 3rd or 4th Round.

If the NFL likes him as much as a number of draftniks seem to, we'd be lucky if he's there at #100. 

He's obviously got great playmaking skills and the organisation historically hasn't had much of a problem with undersized CBs as you say, but I also feel like EDC is more up with the trends of the draft and those trends are leaning more towards having length in the slot so its hard to know where the Ravens would rate him. 

Personally I don't think you can have enough playmakers on D and probably would take him at 100 if he was there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

If the NFL likes him as much as a number of draftniks seem to, we'd be lucky if he's there at #100. 

He's obviously got great playmaking skills and the organisation historically hasn't had much of a problem with undersized CBs as you say, but I also feel like EDC is more up with the trends of the draft and those trends are leaning more towards having length in the slot so its hard to know where the Ravens would rate him. 

Personally I don't think you can have enough playmakers on D and probably would take him at 100 if he was there

Yea, I'd view it as us adding a playmaker to the DB stable more than anything else. Enjoying the historic CB depth we did in the past couple years, allowed us to control the matchups in a matchup league(When everyone was healthy of course). Ideally, we'd try to rebuild that luxury and establish a deep & diverse talent pool once again. Adding a weapon like Marcus Jones would go a long way. 

He's also just a fun player, one you can get excited about. This draft class looks pretty bleak and getting someone like him would be cool for the fans. The Marcus Megazoid in our secondary would be quite the ball hawking trio and quippy treat for the commentators too.