2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Need to get to the bottom of how good Stingley Jr actually is and how much potential I feel he’s got.

Not the biggest fan of his effort vs the run. Not seeing someone that plays like a Raven. Now as he’s a freshman, that wouldn’t normally be a big deal. But paired with the fact that he hasn’t put good tape out since his freshman this is concerning.

10 minutes into this video and need to finish watching the rest, will see how I feel once I watch the remainder of these targets.

So by my count Stingley got worked by DeVonta Smith and to a lesser degree Van Jefferson, he got bodied by Kyle Pitts, and freshman Pickens did solid against him.

That said he had an onslaught of WR talents he faced, Seth Williams, Collin Johnson, Justyn Ross to name some of the other talents.

His ball skills are elite, his agility is great, he showed to be more physical and aggressive as the season went along.

That said, I don’t know if I’d put him on the can’t miss level even when healthy. Watching the tape and there’s still a lot of projection. He was very good as a freshman but not on the same level as Sauce Gardner this season.

Part of what I said about Trent McDuffie is true with Stingley. TMD was always in tight coverage against for example Pitts, but it didn’t matter because he just bodied Stingley. At least Stingley also showed me that if you keep going his way, even if he gives up some big plays, he’s going to eventually pick you off and provide QBs some pause. He’s got elite ball skills. This is what’s completely missing from TMD’s tape and is on Stingley’s tape, how dominant WR talents can perform against him in tight coverage.

It’s hard for me to project Stingley doing a better job against some of the bigger physical options with regard to tight coverage. He just doesn’t have the length to makeup the difference against a truly formidable threat. However he does, as @DreamKid mentions, have the exceptional ball skills and a good catch radius that can make him hold his own in such matchups. He at least has a few elite traits that I’d be comfortable gambling, but I want to watch more Daxton Hill tape now because from what I recall, I’m not sure the gap between Hill and Stingley is so great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

My viewpoint of Davis. He’s disruptive and he’s going to allow other guys to get sacks because of his presence. And if/when he develops, he’s going to finish those plays himself. Campbell teaching this dude how to hand fight would make him the real life version of the Juggernaut.

I think Davis, Stingley, Hamilton, and Daxton Hill are the most likely selections.

Will be interesting to see what direction the front office takes with this draft.

I liked the idea of Davis (a monster pushing back the interior of the opposing OL), but watching the tape makes me think he won't be terribly explosive vs NFL players. More of a clogger than a pusher, if that makes sense. 

I suppose it would be tough for opposing QBs to have to throw it over Calais AND Jordan Davis, those are tall dudes who could block sight lanes and bat a lot of passes over the middle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Keep an eye on this list. The Ravens traditionally don't shy away from older prospects, much to our own detriment. Ferg, Wormley, Hurst, etc. Plenty of recent overaged selections to choose from.

I personally don’t have near the issue most seem to with taking older (within reason) prospects.

Its an astronomically low # of players in the league who get 3rd contracts from their drafting teams, so even in the case of 2 contract guys, the difference in player “life span” with the team is essentially:

21 year old: first contract 21-24/5, second contract 24/25-27/28ish

24 year old: first contract 24-27/8, second contract 27/28-30/31ish

In this day and age I don’t see that as a big difference with how much better these guys are taking care of their bodies. 

I get the whole “a 21 year old isn’t tapped out on his physical potential yet” point, but the converse to that is maybe it takes 2-3 years into their first contract to see those returns, when a 24 year old may just hit the ground running and make up that value

I certainly don’t think it should be a huge deciding factor, and should only really come into play if prospects are nearly identically graded - then go for the young guy sure. But other than that I’m kind of glad we don’t shy away from the older guys

16 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I get the whole “a 21 year old isn’t tapped out on his physical potential yet” point, but the converse to that is maybe it takes 2-3 years into their first contract to see those returns, when a 24 year old may just hit the ground running and make up that value

The 'potential' aspect to it all certainly plays a big part. As does still being 24-25 when your 2nd contract hits. The main reason younger players are so highly valued though is just for pure evaluation's sake. Overaged players have an advantage against their college peers. Frequently, once they get to the league and no longer enjoy that mental, physical, and experience edge- they fail to deliver in the same way that they did in college. Which is why overaged players have a higher bust rate. 

• Like 1