2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Translation: "This class sucks".

Does the draft suck or is it just the top of the board/first round that is lacking?

I'm ok with the latter, but a lack of depth would be more disappointing. For us to gain an edge relative the league it's really got to be in the middle of the draft where our picks our concentrated. Those 7 picks in rounds 3 and 4, we need to find a couple starters/good players.

41 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Does the draft suck or is it just the top of the board/first round that is lacking?

I'm ok with the latter, but a lack of depth would be more disappointing. For us to gain an edge relative the league it's really got to be in the middle of the draft where our picks our concentrated. Those 7 picks in rounds 3 and 4, we need to find a couple starters/good players.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that the top of the draft sucks, and the top 15-20ish players wouldn't be high first rounders in most other drafts, but that it's pretty deep - a lot of people have said that 50-120ish range is as deep as there's been in a while

• Like 1

If the draft is as deep as pundits seems to be saying, it isn't at our need positions. I'm not seeing any CB, EDGE, OT, IOL, or DI prospects projected to the middle of the draft where I go "Damn, the Ravens are going to clean up". I see a lot of 'possible' depth and low ceiling development options. 

Lowest expectations I've had for a draft class overall. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Hoping Zrebiec is as wrong about this as he was about the Ravens cutting Bowser 3 years ago and most other things. A Penning selection would legit make me sick. 

Yea…. Finally just watched a few minutes of him and I don’t like him. I don’t like his throws. Seems like so many times he tries to take advantage of leverage and balance and “chuck” defenders to the ground. I don’t see this working against nfl talent. I also didn’t like seeing I’m chasing defenders in run blocking to try to pancake them. If the defender goes away you climb to the next level. Thought maybe I’d see a punishing run blocker who maybe would project to a guard type, but I don’t see it from him. Also he’s gonna do one of his patented “throws” and guide a defender into a quarterbacks knees

• Like 1

In the lead up to the draft really not liking most of the popular Ravens selections. I absolutely detest Trevor Penning and I think he’s the one prospect that unites most everyone on this forum.

Beyond that, I’m not a fan of Trent McDuffie being crowned a top 20 corner when he’s faced all of no one the last 2 seasons, has historically short arms, and wasn’t a senior to get a chance to elleviate my concerns by seeing him line up against some of the better weapons in college. I get the love, but I see an early second round talent in most any other draft personally.

One of my favorite prospect has a knee issue that people are mentioning might shorten his career. So unless he falls to round two to our pick, it makes sense why I haven’t heard any chatter about him going earlier given his talent.

One of the best center prospects of the last decade, isn’t an ideal scheme fit and we’re picking a little high for the normal “positional value” for a center.

There are still guys I like, but @DreamKid I think you’re right, there are far too many land mines in this class. Nothing solid and with great footing. Feels too boom or bust for my tastes.

EDIT: Even guys I like Daxton Hill for example has a high floor IMO, but at pick 14, he’s no Derwin James. George Karlaftis, is he a fit for what we want and he’s probably a little slower than you’d like. JJ and Ebiketie are a little older than you like.

I LOVE Christian Watson, but we’re probably done with the WR position for now… and his drops give him an obvious bust path.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

I'm still highly skeptical that Jordan Davis will reach the heights of a Vita Vea or Haloti Ngata due to his lack of  similar pass rush production in college, but if he's the lone hero to save us from Trevor Penning... I'll run the card up myself. 

• Like 1

I've taken a bit of a step back this year in terms of going in-depth on prospects before the draft. I'm saving that to see who the Ravens actually end up with.

It's interesting to see the almost universal dislike for Penning on this board as opposed to his pre-draft rankings almost everywhere else. On a lot of sites he's at least firmly in that top 25 ranking range with a popular belief that his draft floor is the Chargers' 17th pick. Wouldn't quite be a Hayden Hurst situation where very few liked that pick regardless of this board or anywhere else.

I feel like defense is the far more likely route unless something ridiculous happens where one of the top three tackles fall and the Ravens move up. But if Penning is the pick... I'm kind of worried to dissect that film. 😓