2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Josh Norris had the most accurate mock draft last year, and just dropped his 22' edition-

I'm doubtful of many picks in there, but the guy shows his work and has a strong track record.

What did you doubt particularly?

Honestly I felt this mock was one of the better ones I’ve seen. Had no idea that Daxton Hill was getting S#1 mentions from legitimate sources, after the Ravens selection of Williams and Hamilton’s athletic testing (that’s IMO confirmed by the tape as presenting flaws to his game), that’s sort of been where my process is leaning towards (as stated above). I think Olave goes that high absolutely, he’s too talented to not IMO.

I think the order of the OTs is how I’d do it. I still have Icky as more of a guard and in the right system I see an All Pro guard, but he’s also got undeniable traits that could become a PB OT when developed. Really love that fit with the Texans. He’s got some Duane Brown vibes.

My biggest surprise would be seeing Kayvon Thibodeaux fall that far in the draft, though it sounds like teams don’t like his interview more than anything. Not sure what that’s all about, but I’d love for the Ravens to trade up for him if we’re unable to secure a trade up for the player that I feel would be our most preferred target…

———
I think our most preferred target, reading the same tea leaves that we saw with this mock, I think the most likely outcome for the Ravens, considering their deep history of seeking to go all in on a CB with Jalen Ramsey in the draft and when he became available via the Jags, with them sniffing around Xavien Howard, etc… I just can’t see Stingley not being seriously considered in plans via a trade up.

He has shown he’s on a legit path to recovery, the team has already shown a willingness to select Hollywood Brown in round 1 after the same injury.

Then lastly the fact that Stingley at one point in time has proven to be one of the highest grade prospects in HS recruiting history and then followed that up with one of the best freshman campaigns in collegiate history. We’ve shown that with Odafe Oweh that we’re willing to draft a player with some uncertainties and we saw with Rashod Bateman, we’ve shown a propensity to draft a talent that underperformed their final season.

A Stingley trade makes sense for us and it also makes sense for the Falcons as they likely aren’t tied down to any particular player. They could very likely obtain Jordan Davis at pick 14 and if not, they could continue to make trades and obtain assets to fix an impoverished roster.

As we get closer and closer to draft day, if Stingley falls to 8, I see it as a near impossibility that he’s not ending up a Raven at the Lamar Jackson/Kobe Bryant pick (#8). If he falls we might as well throw some shades on him and call it a day.😎

44 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

What did you doubt particularly?

- Malik Willis going Top 2.

- Saleh/Douglas going Walker over Thibs.

- Giants going Cross over Neal. 

- Jordan Davis at 8 to the Falcons

Those are some of the main ones, thought Chargers going WR was interesting too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DreamKid said:

- Malik Willis going Top 2.

- Saleh/Douglas going Walker over Thibs.

- Giants going Cross over Neal. 

- Jordan Davis at 8 to the Falcons

Those are some of the main ones, thought Chargers going WR was interesting too.

I’m kind of like mind with him on most of these moves. Willis going at #2 is rich, but only if he doesn’t pan out. They’ve got a chance to allow him to sit for most of year one and then get time towards the end of the year and his traits is what you most love about him. I don’t think they risk giving that up for a more traditional QB that pails in comparison to the traditional talents of previous years. I could see them look to trade down and make that same selection, but then you’ve got to worry about the Panthers trading up and taking “your #1 QB”. I’m with him, why risk it. Nothing is going to improve the Lions more than having an impact QB and Goff has shown himself to be a QB in the place holder variety moving forward.

I’d strongly consider Cross over Neal. Cross and Neal both offer strengths in pass protection, however Neal has more balance issues on tape and is, despite his size, worse off at the POA as a run blocker.

Jordan Davis to the Falcons makes a lot of sense. He’s an elite talent and was one of the best players in college football, and he’s also got elite athleticism and traits. Thus it becomes difficult not to justify taking that guy and taking the risk of what he could become.

Walker over Thibs I see the least likely happening, but if it does happen, I think it would be because teams are worried about how Thibs might impact their locker room culture. There appears to be some arrogance within him and that could potentially be whats turning teams away from him. Combine that with Walker presented some excellent traits and we know about his motor on the field. That said it’d still be a reach IMO.

Wanted to take a look at who our early round selections will potentially* replace, and our general situations at need spots.

*The Ravens try to roll with Vets whenever possible

- Left off PS shuffle players and other back of the roster types that aren't relevant to the discussion. Example: Aaron Crawford at NT

- BOLDed players are those who a pick would potentially be replacing, and/or who aren't guaranteed significant playing time in 22' regardless of who we add to the spot.

Wide Receiver: Marquise Brown, Rashod Bateman, Devin Duvernay, James Proche, Tylan Wallace, Miles Boykin

Tackle: Ronnie Stanley(Post Injury), Morgan Moses, Ja'Waun James(Post Injury), Patrick Mekari, Tyre Phillips(Post Injury)

Guard: Kevin Zeitler, Ben Cleveland, Ben Powers, Tyre Phillips(Post Injury), Patrick Mekari

Center: Patrick Mekari, Trystan Colon

EDGE: Odafe Oweh, Tyus Bowser(Post Injury), Jaylon Ferguson, Daelin Hayes

5T: Derek Wolfe, Broderick Washington

NT: Michael Pierce

3T: Justin Madubuike, Broderick Washington

LB: Patrick Queen, Josh Bynes, Malik Harrison, Kristian Welch

CB: Marlon Humphrey(Post Injury), Marcus Peters(Post Injury), Brandon Stephens?, Ardarius Washington?, Iman Marshall(Post Injury), Keven Seymour

FS: Marcus Williams, Brandon Stephens, Ardarius Washinton

SS: Chuck Clark, Tony Jefferson, Geno Stone

Just off the jump, we're staring at a very scary roster. Ironically after TE/FB, WR might be the most stable position for the club right now. It's hard to find a spot where Injury, Age, or Impact isn't a major concern. I left off QB & HB because I don't see us going there early, but even those spots have a slew of question marks. 

CB & the OL are disaster areas where one or two injuries derails our season. They easily stand alone as our biggest needs. The cupboards are bare at DI and EDGE, but I think we'll see a signing or two to improve those spots pre draft. . 

CB is the only spot where we're short a starting talent(NCB) and both of the other presumed starters are returning from season ending injury. Add in that we'll need an impact starter to replace Marcus Peters in a year or two, and our current depth is nonexistent 🤮

• Like 1

Is Andrew Booth CB Clemson a sleeper for the Ravens?

Tall, long, fluid feet & hips, physical run supporter & strong against screens, catch point demon with awesome ball skills. 

Shades of Marcus Peters with his ability to hunt the INT, and we know how much EDC loves Peters.

IDK I think he could be a player our FO really likes.  

This team needs at least 2 more CBs capable of starting Day 1. So until we see a trade or FA signing, all Top 50 territory CBs should be looked at extensively. 

• Like 1

A massive problem with this draft is the value gap that appears after the top 10 or so names, especially as it relates to us.

Our biggest needs are CB, OL, EDGE, & DI. 

The players 'valued' at those spots as Mid-First talents are Trent McDuffie who might be NCB only at the next level and off certain teams' boards because of sub 30" arms. Trevor Penning an overrated, technically flawed, and penalty prone FCS Tackle. George Karlaftis a tweener with no bend, limited length, and issues against the run. Devonte Wyatt a DI/3T who is 24 already, the current age of a couple players from our 2019 class. And finally Jordan Davis, a DI/NT with historic testing numbers and non existent pass rush. 

Outside of our need positions you have much more solid prospects at spots like WR & LB. 

I think this layout will clearly illustrate my frustrations-

CB

Top 10 Value: Ahmad Gardner, Derek Stingley

Top 15-20 Value: Trent McDuffie(Possible NCB only, sub 30" arms)

Top 20-40 Value: Andrew Booth, Kaiir Elam, Kyler Gordon

OL

Top 10 Value:  Icky Ekwonu, Evan Neal, Charles Cross

Top 15-20 Value: Trevor Penning

Top 20-40 Value: Kenyon Green, Tyler Linderbaum(Undersized, Zone Scheme), Zion Johnson, Bernard Raimann(25 Y/O in Sept.), Tyler Smith

EDGE

Top 10 Value: Aiden Hutchinson, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson

Top 15-20 Value: George Karlaftis

Top 20-40 Value: David Ojabo(Injured-Achilles), Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie

DI

Top 10 Value: N/A

Top 15-20 Value: Jordan Davis(NT), Devonte Wyatt(24 Y/O)

Top 20-40 Value: Travis Jones

^^^^The above is why you see Ravens fans screaming for a trade up or down more than in any other recent year. There is no safe middle ground and the board is stacked against us.

Here are some categories(for players typically ranked in that Top 1-20 territory and who are relevant to us) that I'm comfortable with-

For the Ravens, there are 9 'No Debate' Prospects in the class. Players everyone pretty much agrees would be great value and additions to areas of need.

1. EDGE Aiden Hutchinson

2. EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux

3. OL Evan Neal

4. OL Icky Ekwonu

5. OL Charles Cross

6. CB Sauce Gardner

7. CB Derek Stingley 

8. EDGE Travon Walker

9 EDGE Jermaine Johnson

Then you have 3 'Debated' Prospects.  Players who there isn't a consensus on(for draft pundits or the fans), or whose limitations may torpedo their value. / I'm also tossing Kyle Hamilton into this mix despite him not fitting the criteria. There is a consensus on his ability, but his ultimate value to the Ravens is questioned/debated with Safety being a soft need after the Marcus Williams signing. 

1. S Kyle Hamilton - Top 10 Talent at Safety, which often means you'll end up picked outside the Top 10. 

2. DI/NT Jordan Davis - If you get Haloti Ngata or Vita Vea, you've won the 1st Round handily. If you get anything less? You've just spent a Top 15 pick on one of the cheapest commodities in all of football. 

3. CB Trent McDuffie - Some lofty comps out there for McDuffie's ability, but to live on the outside at CB with sub 30" arms and 5'10 height he'll have to buck historic trends- which doesn't happen often. 

Finally, you have the 2 'Boom or Bust' Prospects. Despite potentially offering lowered to horrific value the prospects in the previous category still have floors that these next two players do not. It's all or nothing for these guys.

1. EDGE George Karlaftis - If you can't bend, can't stop the run, and are short on length at EDGE.... you're a massive liability and far from a safe prospect. Karlaftis has age, technique, motor, football IQ, and displayed power behind him. If he develops you could have Justin Smith. If he doesn't you could have a player too short and small to contribute inside, and too lacking athletically to contribute outside. In other words, a massive bust at 14 overall. 

2. OT Trevor Penning - Hey, did you see the clip of this guy recovering and throwing someone over after he got pushed 8 feet deep into the pocket? Or the one where he drives the 5'11 247 pound DE from Lomchomo State Tech back 20 yards? Just wait till we draft him and he's doing that to TJ Watt on Sundays!!!!... In all seriousness, Penning is obviously about as far from a safe prospect as you can get. Penning is a dominant FCS Tackle with great athletic testing. Prospects with that resume come around all the time and typically go mid to late Day 2 at the earliest. Why is Penning being viewed so differently? Honestly, IDK. All 3 previous FCS OL 1st Round selections since the FCS was founded in 1979 have been draft busts. He makes no sense at 14, and is a clear Boom or Bust candidate.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Video gets into sleepers at a couple different positions, but there's also an interesting chat about Jordan Davis at the 36 minute mark-

Yup. I didn’t like the idea of Davis at first, but after his combine I gave him a rewatch from a less “well he’s a NT” perspective and realized that Jordan Davis consistently dominated at the LOS and was always behind it. That he didn’t play 5 tech, but he would dominate at 5 tech if placed there. He would and has shown he can dominate from 3 tech.

Talk about a true Monstar front. My only issue with going the Davis route is the lack of solutions this draft has for edge.

They touch on Josh Paschal (2nd/3rd) and I really also like Arnold Ebikite (1st/2nd) and if both go on the earlier sides of their value, I like the other edge guys far less. And I’m unsure what the veteran FA market might look like for an edge.

Though the edge conundrum would be the same if we go CB/OL in round 1 as well. So I’m hoping we already have some veteran edge on speed dial and/or we can develop some of the other edge guys that I feel are far more bust than boom.

• Like 1

The way I see it is if we don't go CB in round 1, it is likely a huge issue for us in 2022.

I could at least envision a scenario where our pass rush isn't addressed in round 1 but we are at least somewhat competent next year if Oweh/Hayes make a jump, we draft a guy like Ebeketie round 2 and we resign a guy like Houston. Not great, but at least competent.

I can't, in any way, foresee this corner group being anything other than below average-bad collectively in 2022 unless we get a day 1 ready starter at CB this draft. Humphrey (season ender last year and he wasn't playing great beforehand), Peters (coming off an ACL), and guys like Brandon Stephens, Ardarius Washington, and Iman Marshall vying for the #3 CB job - which is essentially a starter in today's NFL - is an absolute nightmare scenario with the QBs that are in the AFC.

And for that reason I'm really really hoping for McDuffie/Stingley/Booth R1. If we need to trade up or trade back to procure one, so be it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Notice anything about Chris Simms' Top 5 CB & EDGE Rankings?-

FPhJ0ziWUA0YA_F?format=jpg&name=900x900

FQGISY8WQAI5mVI?format=jpg&name=900x900

😂 Hope the teams picking above us feel the same.

I thought Jalyn Armour-Davis was pretty good before the draft process started, but in a lot of mock draft simulators I'd recently seen him going as low as the 6th round. Seems like a huge discrepancy there relative to these rankings.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Notice anything about Chris Simms' Top 5 CB & EDGE Rankings?-

FPhJ0ziWUA0YA_F?format=jpg&name=900x900

FQGISY8WQAI5mVI?format=jpg&name=900x900

😂 Hope the teams picking above us feel the same.

You mean besides how bad they are?  (Or good if you believe the entire point of them is only as clickbait)

18 minutes ago, drd23 said:

You mean besides how bad they are?  (Or good if you believe the entire point of them is only as clickbait)

I guess all of the above. Leaving both Kayvon Thibodeaux and Derek Stingley off is hilariously awful. 

Chris does stuff like this every year, but this is just so out there. Even as clickbait it's odd. It's like putting out a Top 5 OL ranking and just randomly leaving off Icky/Neal. Most won't even care enough to follow up on his reasoning. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, DreamKid said:

Is Andrew Booth CB Clemson a sleeper for the Ravens?

Tall, long, fluid feet & hips, physical run supporter & strong against screens, catch point demon with awesome ball skills. 

Shades of Marcus Peters with his ability to hunt the INT, and we know how much EDC loves Peters.

IDK I think he could be a player our FO really likes.  

This team needs at least 2 more CBs capable of starting Day 1. So until we see a trade or FA signing, all Top 50 territory CBs should be looked at extensively. 

Right on queue, the Ravens are bringing Andrew Booth in for a visit-

• Like 1