2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

You know what?

If the top 3 CBs, top 4 EDGEs and top 3 OTs are off the board when we pick, and we don’t trade down....F it. Garrett Wilson. Allows us to move on from Hollywood in 2022 and not be searching for a WR to pair with Bateman for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

You know what?

If the top 3 CBs, top 4 EDGEs and top 3 OTs are off the board when we pick, and we don’t trade down....F it. Garrett Wilson. Allows us to move on from Hollywood in 2022 and not be searching for a WR to pair with Bateman for the foreseeable future. 

If we don’t trade down, we’ll take BPA, if it’s a wr then so be it. We’ve filled some of our immediate needs, especially OL, in FA. If we were to draft for need at this point it seems like the pick would be DL. That being said, we could be in a prime position to trade back for some team looking to take a swing at one of the top qbs. Could be around the sweet spot for a team to jump up for the first qb off the board.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

If we don’t trade down, we’ll take BPA, if it’s a wr then so be it. We’ve filled some of our immediate needs, especially OL, in FA. If we were to draft for need at this point it seems like the pick would be DL. That being said, we could be in a prime position to trade back for some team looking to take a swing at one of the top qbs. Could be around the sweet spot for a team to jump up for the first qb off the board.

Good point, hadn’t considered that about the QBs.

Agree that if all those positions have come off the board, we’re likely going DL.

Not to belabor the point, but I can’t shake the feeling that Jordan Davis is the guy. I mean, if anyone looks like a Raven, it’s him. He doesn’t carry the same league impact that he would’ve 15 years ago, but I was watching a breakdown recently that made an excellent point.

Davis might be so elite at his one trick that he could allow us to use only 4 hats to stop the run and use the additional defender to protect against PA/pass on any given down.

Making our pass defense even more efficient on earlier downs. Not to mention if we’re able to mine any pass rush ability out of his freakish athletic profile.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

You know what?

I’ll have to look over the WR tape, but I’m confused why Wilson- despite him having my last name (shameless non associated plug)- is considered over Olave as a WR prospect within the overall draft community.

Both have almost the same athletic profile and age, but Olave has the superior collegiate production and breakout age.

He was one of my favorite WR prospects last season before he decided to not declare. Can’t help but wonder if this is a combination of him being a senior and perceived as older than he is (early enrollment) and/or a case of him being considered “old news” and thus getting less hype.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yea, you and me were big on the Olave hype train. 

Absolutely. He had the speed, route running, clutch playmaking, and early breakout age.

Also didn’t have the production dip Bateman had from covid (which was a little disconcerting for me).

I like the fact that he’s produced with two different QBs at this point as well. If I were to go with a WR early, it’d likely be him. But I haven’t evaluated his and Wilsons’ 2021 tapes either, just their 2020 tape where Olave was certainly the superior/more consistent option.

Along that same vein, another WR I was high on last season was Justyn Ross, if he’s good on the medical end, I’d love for the Ravens to draft him at some point in the 3rd round.

He’s the exact type of WR addition I feel Lamar needs, an intermediate, physical, strong route running, big window, red zone threat type that is basically a twin of Tee Higgins. I like Olave, but with both Hollywood and Bateman, his skill set is a little redundant, however Ross isn’t like anything we’ve currently got on the roster.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Absolutely. He had the speed, route running, clutch playmaking, and early breakout age.

Also didn’t have the production dip Bateman had from covid (which was a little disconcerting for me).

I like the fact that he’s produced with two different QBs at this point as well. If I were to go with a WR early, it’d likely be him. But I haven’t evaluated his and Wilsons’ 2021 tapes either, just their 2020 tape where Olave was certainly the superior/more consistent option.

Along that same vein, another WR I was high on last season was Justyn Ross, if he’s good on the medical end, I’d love for the Ravens to draft him at some point in the 3rd round.

He’s the exact type of WR addition I feel Lamar needs, an intermediate, physical, strong route running, big window, red zone threat type that is basically a twin of Tee Higgins. I like Olave, but with both Hollywood and Bateman, his skill set is a little redundant, however Ross isn’t like anything we’ve currently got on the roster.

In regards to Ross, I don't know how accurate some of these mock draft simulators are, but I consistently see him available in the 5th-6th rounds whenever I play around with them recently.

• Like 1

I don’t here this much but what do u guys think about putting Devin Lloyd next to Patrick Queen… The thing about football is u have to create a dominant unit… ZDS PQueen Devin Lloyd DoubleO… it gives us arguably the best group OF backers (3 of which are well under 25) in the league… and think about when this team was the best… it was the linebackers that made us go… and this isn’t even taking Bowser into account who could be our new Adalius Thomas… it’s just something to think about especially if the DBs are gon and we feel 14 is too early for center and we feel like we’re good at WR… Devin Lloyd is a sneaky game changing pick for this defense…

Edited by bmorecareful

17 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

. That being said, we could be in a prime position to trade back for some team looking to take a swing at one of the top qbs. Could be around the sweet spot for a team to jump up for the first qb off the board.

Agreed. Interesting trade partners IMHO could be Tennessee to come up from pick 26 or Detroit to come up from end of round to snag their respective QBotF if either thing the top guy in the draft has slid sufficiently far. Detroit is intriguing as the #32 pick and #34 pick is almost a perfect alignment per the JJ pick value chart. Tennessee is a bit trickier as they don't have a #2 this year, so would almost have to be #26 + first next year, then maybe we swap one of our fourths for a fifth or something.

58 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

I don’t here this much but what do u guys think about putting Devin Lloyd next to Patrick Queen… The thing about football is u have to create a dominant unit… ZDS PQueen Devin Lloyd DoubleO… it gives us arguably the best group OF backers (3 of which are well under 25) in the league… and think about when this team was the best… it was the linebackers that made us go… and this isn’t even taking Bowser into account who could be our new Adalius Thomas… it’s just something to think about especially if the DBs are gon and we feel 14 is too early for center and we feel like we’re good at WR… Devin Lloyd is a sneaky game changing pick for this defense…

Personally, my second favorite LB to pair with Queen after Dean is Chad Muma. Think his coverage ability and football IQ are perfect to pair with Queen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

In regards to Ross, I don't know how accurate some of these mock draft simulators are, but I consistently see him available in the 5th-6th rounds whenever I play around with them recently.

Mostly because none of the draft media has any idea what his medicals are like.  Purely based on film he's a 2nd/3rd rounder (depending on how much weight you give to 2021 tape when he was playing injured)

• Like 2

I am very uninformed about the prospects this year....

but some of you who know better tell my why all the Ravens fans seem to be hoping for an edge in round 1. Isn't this our first round edge:

Before the year started, I said Oweh looked like a top 10 talent based on what I saw from his college cut-ups. He fell because of a great edge class and a statistical anomaly of a 0 sack season his final year in college. Do we think we'll get a better prospect at 14 in this class? Bowser will take time to recover (hopefully back for later in the season) and he's more of a utility piece. We'll need some rotational pieces, but I think Oweh is going to the star of that group.

Ignoring the BPA aspect which will of course be the biggest factor that high up... wouldn't it make more positional value sense for us to get a corner round 1. By the time that corner's 5 year rookie contract is up, Marlon will be 31 and Peters would be long gone.

That's if we are going defense. A tackle would be great too. O-line and cornerback are the positions that I'm going to watching during the draft hoping they don't get taken in the first 13.

Edited by wackywabbit

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

but some of you who know better tell my why all the Ravens fans seem to be hoping for an edge in round 1.

For a few reasons imo:

- getting pressure with only 4 rushers is becoming more important with all the good QB/WR combos in the league, and just Oweh isn't enough

- there are a lot of nice EDGE prospects that could been seen as good value at 14

- there is a clearer path to playing time for EDGE than CB or OT (I think this hurts the idea of taking a CB most in fans eyes)

- there isn't an obvious 3-tech DT to take to get interior pressure (Jordan Davis' size obviously leads people to think of him more as a NT, Devonte Wyatt is old for a rookie)

- we haven't addressed EDGE in FA

IMO I don't see an OT being the pick for a couple of reasons

- Too many other assets are currently invested at RT (Moses, James, Mekari etc)

- Unless Charles Cross falls, none of the other OTs that might be available seem like a "too good of a value to pass up" proposition (and Cross has his own issues that might not make him a good fit in Baltimore)

-- Trevor Penning, who is widely seen as OT4 in this draft is very raw and plays way too high  

-- Bernard Raiman, who is possibly OT5, is already 25 and also has questions regarding rawness and about the level of competition he played in college

-- Tyler Smith, another who could be OT5 on some lists, is also extremely raw and plays with bad technique 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Do we think we'll get a better prospect at 14 in this class?

I mean, maybe? I don't know what Oweh's ability has to do with us picking another potential impact pass rusher though...  

Suggs was always the star of our EDGE group. Didn't hurt to surround him with other talents like Dumervil, Kruger, McPhee, etc- did it?. Why wouldn't we want to maximize impact in that faucet of defense?

49 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Ignoring the BPA aspect which will of course be the biggest factor that high up... wouldn't it make more positional value sense for us to get a corner round 1. By the time that corner's 5 year rookie contract is up, Marlon will be 31 and Peters would be long gone.

No one thinks the FO will ignore the BPA aspect though, which is why most draft conversation is shaped around a handful of prospects right now. It looks like all of the Top 15 talents at OL will be gone by the time we pick, we probably aren't going WR... so that leaves CB, EDGE, or DI. 

At CB you have 3 talents generally valued in the Top 10-25. Ahmad Gardner, Derek Stingley, and Trent McDuffie. Gardner is a likely Top 8-10 lock, Stingley is a question mark with big time talent but injury flags, and McDuffie is a shorter(arm length) zone dominant CB that isn't a great fit for what we like to do.

At EDGE you have Aiden Hutchinson who is guaranteed gone 1-3, Thibodeaux and Travon Walker in that Top 10 lock territory, Jermaine Johnson will go shortly after them, then Karlaftis and maybe Mafe(pending a bigger sized trade down(25-32)) round out the group as potential 1st Round targets with David Ojabo getting injured at his pro day and likely slipping to Day 2. 

At DI the only options are Jordan Davis a NT with no pass rush ability or as drd mentioned a pretty severely overaged Wyatt. 

So our options are pretty much naturally limited to CB Stingley, EDGE Johnson, or OT Trevor Penning(A project Tackle imo) falling. The FO liking Karlaftis enough to pick him at #14, or we reach for poor positional value like NT Jordan Davis, C Tyler Linderbaum(Also not a fit for our gap scheme), etc. That or a trade down. 

It's not a great draft for us honestly, at least not at Pick 14 value wise. I do think CB Derek Stingley has a good chance of falling though, and I currently consider him the favorite for our pick. So there's your CB. 

I'm a CB is King guy all the way. I agree that we need another couple starting caliber talents and some pipeline stars as well. There's no need to massively reach for one though. 

Since EDC has been GM, we've extended Marlo, explored/attempted trades for Xavien Howard & Jalen Ramsey, and did trade for Marcus Peters. I'm never going to worry about us neglecting the position. I expect us to hit CB hard in the draft.

Gun to my head, Stingley or Karlaftis will be the pick at #14.

Two of the youngest players in the draft at key & need positions. Athletic and Production profiles are strong for both. Stingley is exactly what we look for in a 1st Round CB(Jimmy, Marlon, McAllister), and he has 'Ja'Marr Chase Experience'- perfect fit. Karlaftis is an educated power rusher with upside and potential inside/outside rush versatility. 

I'm trying to not over think this. Waiting on a couple things like Stingley's Pro Day and I'm curious where Karlaftis lands in DJ's next Top 50 ranking, but I think they're the best bet right now. 

Board seems to be settling strong for you @diamondbull424.

• Like 1