Urban Meyer rumors thread

.Buzz

I just don't think i understand the philosophy of the people who are really mad about stuff.

Like, Urban has been a terrible HC so far.  There's no math to overwhelm that.  Just awful.

But his whole appeal has been in this "program building" mode.  We're building something here.  And in that...he's at least put us on the map.  For all the wrong reasons.

Is Urban going to be the program director who *actually* fixes things?  If he an bring some solid recruits to us the way he gravitates random blonde girls to his lap...we're in business.  I just don't understand how you could look at Urban...and not consider the college recruiting thing as both a significant jump he's going to have to learn to handle, and also still a key point in what he's worth as a HC.

14 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Is Urban going to be the program director who *actually* fixes things?  If he can bring some solid recruits to us the way he gravitates random blonde girls to his lap...we're in business.  I just don't understand how you could look at Urban...and not consider the college recruiting thing as both a significant jump he's going to have to learn to handle, and also still a key point in what he's worth as a HC.

If that's his issue, I hereby volunteer to entertain all the random blonde girls Urban would normally be distracted with so that he can focus on recruiting.

I may not root for the Jaguars but I'm always up for helping my fellow man.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I know he has had some real knucklehead players, but what else has he done personally over the years?  I don't follow college football, so I haven't heard of much on Urban.

😬 I don’t know if we have enough time but here are a few things.

UF:https://www.al.com/sports/2012/04/from_champs_to_chomped_how_urb.html

OSU:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/9/1/17773300/urban-meyer-retiring-why

• Like 1

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

If that's his issue, I hereby volunteer to entertain all the random blonde girls Urban would normally be distracted with so that he can focus on recruiting.

I know someone who can take care of said distractions however he would have to hire me 😆

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

That's a very generous offer.  It's not everybody who is willing to reach out and help another team in such a selfless manner.  ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Thanks for the link @DuvalsKing!  It sounds like, while he did win a lot, he wasn't overly concerned about how he went about getting that done.

24 minutes ago, Berries said:

Can anyone explain to my why it’s so difficult to go from College to NFL. Just feel like it’s not like he walked into a top 10 team. I just have no real understanding of the college game though.

There’s 125 FCS college football teams, and 129 FBS teams that make up Division I college football. The FCS is the top division and typically play all but one game per year vs each other, and typically 0-1 games vs a FCS team. Only a small percentage of those players are good enough to make it to the NFL.

Then college programs with FCS have clear tiers of play. There’s certain programs where everyone wants to be, whether it’s because the college spends a ton of money that others don’t spend on training equipment and things like that, or they have coaches that are really good at developing players, or they’re a historically great team with a lot of history that it’s worth going to, or they’re seen as legitimate contenders for a National Title, or players know that a lot of college scouts will be at every single game to get a showcase for the next level. Those programs tend to be where practically every single 5 star high school recruit goes. So those programs tend to have a roster that’s close to like the equivalent of a AAA baseball team, a whole roster of guys who will get a chance to prove they’re good enough to make it in the NFL, whereas many other teams might only have 3-4 of those guys or maybe nobody at all.

So a lot of the college game is built on recruiting just better players to go stomp on worse teams, being able to guide these elite talents towards becoming elite players, and calling plays that take advantage of your severe gap in talent. And a lot of the play calling at that level is in using a massive difference in speed or strength to just overwhelm the opposing team.

The NFL, however, unless you’re a team like the Jaguars and have thrown away your roster in the name of a complete overhaul and rebuild (and because Tom Coughlin and Dave Caldwell were pricks) are filled with teams who have a much, much closer talent gap. Pretty much every team has — give or take 1-2 — the same number of superstar players and has the rest of the roster that’s relatively comparable. It then becomes much more about not just having the best players, but having players that work together well to fit a certain scheme you have planned, having players who can handle different things that the opponents do and exploiting minor talent gaps. It becomes more about having a depth to your roster that can sustain an injury, and finding guys that other teams missed that can contribute. You’re not going into every game but 1-3 with a severe talent advantage, you’re going to a somewhat evenly matched game and every minor imperfection has a chance of showing up in a big way, because nearly every team has a way to exploit those imperfections.

It’s just different, and requires more precision and technical mastery on a day to day basis. And a lot of guys who get by on just being able to sell a player on the reasons why they want to join a superstar college team find that they have no means to do the things that actually work for them at the NFL level. 

• Like 3