Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

On 9/20/2021 at 2:19 PM, turtle28 said:

Joe Namath comes to mind…

It’s hard to tell where any you QB will be in their development a year from now or two, I do know that three Alabama QBs started the season for their teams this year - Jones, Hurts & Tua - now are they good enough to be their teams starting QB week 1 next year?

Thats up to debate, and we’ll have to see if they even finish the season as their teams starters, but Alabama did have three QBs as starters week 1. I believe more than any other college team did in week 1 of the NFL.

Joe Namath was a different decade, era, coach, and team than any of the Alabama QB's comin into the league now. I would seriously not add him into my comparison considering that was nearly 50 years ago. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

Who was the last starting NFL QB that came from Alabama to have any success as a starter? 

Jalen Hurts is an exception because he started with Alabama but transferred to Oklahoma. 

As was mentioned - Joe Namath, Bart Starr and Ken Stabler, thus the no recent. 

5 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

Joe Namath was a different decade, era, coach, and team than any of the Alabama QB's comin into the league now. I would seriously not add him into my comparison considering that was nearly 50 years ago. 

Yeah, that wasn’t mentioned as a necessity by MikeT14.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

As was mentioned - Joe Namath, Bart Starr and Ken Stabler, thus the no recent. 

As I’ve mentioned numerous times, most colleges have only have 1 QB all time who became a good starting QB, let alone a franchise QB. Just bc a school hasn’t had a good one in the pros in 40 years doesn’t mean they won’t have one w/ the recent draft picks or w/ a draft pick from their school in a few years.

You grade the prospects, not the school. If we were drafting players just off of what college they played QB at & if that QB had a good or great QB in the pros, Drew Brees wouldn’t have been drafted, Dan Marino,  Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, John Elway, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr or Ryan Tanehill.

Heck, RG3 wouldn’t have been taken #2.

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Matthew Mcconaughey GIF

Man I wish C Y showed me ..sumthin'. I've watched him . he seems slow off the ball, all he ever does is try an outside speed rush. The tackle easily steers him by the pocket.  Doesn't try to work inside . Doesn't have the strength to bull rush the tackle back into the Q B . He looks lost . I just know what I see. I think we've wasted a #2 overall pick . Hate to say it . he looks pedestrain . Go ahead ., tell me what I'm missing. Oh yeah, read today they've been "chipped 16 and 20% of the time -first two games. Seems pretty normal so don't tell me about the double, triple teams . 

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Man I wish C Y showed me ..sumthin'. I've watched him . he seems slow off the ball, all he ever does is try an outside speed rush. The tackle easily steers him by the pocket.  Doesn't try to work inside . Doesn't have the strength to bull rush the tackle back into the Q B . He looks lost . I just know what I see. I think we've wasted a #2 overall pick . Hate to say it . he looks pedestrain . Go ahead ., tell me what I'm missing. Oh yeah, read today they've been "chipped 16 and 20% of the time -first two games. Seems pretty normal so don't tell me about the double, triple teams . 

Hey man, if you think he’s a bust then he’s a bust. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Hey man, if you think he’s a bust then he’s a bust. 

That's a stupid post. I'm expressing an opinion. what I see. I respect you. You tell me what you see . 

I made my explicit points ! I'd  love to hear your counter points . Not some off the wall stupid crap .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. Because at times I see this too. I sometimes see him give up as he is blocked. On ome plays it's almost as if he is (for lack of a better word) not pissed enough and is just there. But those plays are very few and far between.

But I also see him do the things you haven't seen. I've seen him bull rush. I've seen him duck and turn and get underneath the tackles. I think he'll put it together and improve as he improves his repertoire of moves (and deals with QBs that are mobile). Right now? I think he's earned his #2 pick status. If he continues to play like this all year and into next? I will re-evaluate my comment.

But man, what I wouldn't give to combine Ioannidas' pass rush skills and raw power with Chase's pass rush skills and his ability to make things happen (FF, etc...).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. Because at times I see this too. I sometimes see him give up as he is blocked. On ome plays it's almost as if he is (for lack of a better word) not pissed enough and is just there. But those plays are very few and far between.

But I also see him do the things you haven't seen. I've seen him bull rush. I've seen him duck and turn and get underneath the tackles. I think he'll put it together and improve as he improves his repertoire of moves (and deals with QBs that are mobile). Right now? I think he's earned his #2 pick status. If he continues to play like this all year and into next? I will re-evaluate my comment.

But man, what I wouldn't give to combine Ioannidas' pass rush skills and raw power with Chase's pass rush skills and his ability to make things happen (FF, etc...).

I just watched the James Harrison Football Life & I think Chase Young could learn some technique & leverage things from James Harrison. Harrison had one or two pass rushing moves, he’d go wide but grab the OTs left arm and pin it to them, it helped him easily get the corner & once he was even, he had them beat. Then, obviously with leverage Harrison had the bull rush. I think Chase plays too high sometimes & he needs to learn a few tricks like the GOAT pass rushers did that help them beat the OT on almost every rush even if they don’t get home.

Also, as you and @RSkinGM have addressed, Chase isn’t lazy but he could always give more consistent relentless effort like no one is stopping him no matter what. Chase has to find how to get in a James Harrison type focused mean mode on game days & just attack. If he does that, no one can stop him bc of his natural talent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

That's a stupid post. I'm expressing an opinion. what I see. I respect you. You tell me what you see . 

I made my explicit points ! I'd  love to hear your counter points . Not some off the wall stupid crap .

Didn’t mean it like that brother. Meant it more in the sense of how you feel is how you feel. I personally don’t think you’re right but we’re on separate ends of this argument and the only one who can convince you otherwise is Chase Young himself. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think Chase plays too high sometimes & he needs to learn a few tricks like the GOAT pass rushers did that help them beat the OT on almost every rush even if they don’t get home.

He plays too high a lot, to be honest. He's basically standing straight far too often and with his height, it leaves him with no leverage.  That takes the bull rush off the table and simplifies life for the OT.  Coaches need to challenge him to get that pad level low.

• Like 2