TNF: CAR @ HOU

Sad People

Who wins TNF?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Panthers
    • Texans

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2021 at 12:30 AM

The Panthers could be the 2021 party crasher based on the first 2 weeks. I'm very interesting how they keep playing especially on defense but looking at their schedule they could be 7-1 after 8 weeks. They were on my list of teams that could surprise this year and the way their defense is flying around I could see it. Don't look now but this could be a force to be reckon with if Darnold doesn't turn the ball over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

The Panthers could be the 2021 party crasher based on the first 2 weeks. I'm very interesting how they keep playing especially on defense but looking at their schedule they could be 7-1 after 8 weeks. They were on my list of teams that could surprise this year and the way their defense is flying around I could see it. Don't look now but this could be a force to be reckon with if Darnold doesn't turn the ball over.

I like Matt Rhule and the Panthers have talent at all 3 levels of the defense with Brown/Burns on the DL, Reddick/Thompson at LB, and Horn/Chinn in the secondary. They've dominated time of possession through the first two weeks too, if Darnold can take care of the ball and CMac stays healthy they are going to have a good year.

Click here... edit there... carry the one... and share what I said in the Texans GDT:

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't think this one will be particularly close - the Panthers defense is a crushing unit on several levels, Sam Darnold is demonstrating why he was the #3 pick a few years back, Christian McCaffrey is the best all around RB in football, DJ Moore and Robby Anderson are the best WRs this Texans team will face to this point in the season... even a fully staffed Texans team would have big problems in this one. (Luckily, they can blame this one on several injuries on both sides of the ball).

Davis Mills has one of the most memorable "welcome to the NFL" games in recent memory, as Derrick Brown and Brian Burns completely evicerate him on every dropback. This team takes a beating, but does put up a valiant effort in a very lopsided loss - the Texans will never seem out of it, despite being out of it from jump street.

Panthers win, 38-6. (Joey Slye misses an XP vs his old team).

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Davis Mills preseason stats: 47% comp, 2 TD, 4 INT

Making his first start against the best pass rush in the league thus far on a short week, it's going to get ugly. 

If preseason determined success, then Nathan Peterman would be on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

• Like 1

Just now, biggie. said:

If preseason determined success, then Nathan Peterman would be on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

Davis Mills last week was 8/18 after Tyrod Taylor started the game 10/11. Mills only started 11 games in college and is going up against a talented defense on a short week for his first NFL start, lol. 

• Like 1

For anyone interested, this is a great read about Phil Snow and the kind of defense he has brought to the NFL.

https://sports.yahoo.com/phil-snow-turned-panthers-defense-130802046.html

I was very concerned when Rhule brought on Snow as his DC.  To me, it seemed like an example of a coach just sticking with his buddy.  But boy, was I wrong.  Even last year, although our defensive numbers weren't great, any Panthers fan will tell you how good of a job he did.  The talent and turnover on defense last year should have had us finishing near the bottom of the league, but Snow had our players in position every time.  A lot of the problems stemmed from guys just being inexperienced or not making the play.

This year, talent is finally matching the scheme, and it's amazing to watch.  Granted, we still have more to prove - it isn't like we've faced a murderers row of QBs.  But we've accumulated a lot of talent.  Our first and second round picks look like potential All-Pros (for my money Derrick Brown is already the best player on our defense, but Burns is a high-level pass rusher... then you've got Chinn, Gross-Matos, Horn, Jackson) and we've made some really smart signings in the front seven.  Morgan Fox is such a great depth guy to have as a pass rusher, and DaQuan Jones has done a good job helping improve our run defense too.  Him and Brown are really good together inside.  If Roy and Nixon keep improving, boy.  I mean the Saints routinely have a very good OL and they got slapped by our rushers last week.

It will be interesting to see if any of the concepts the Panthers are running become more rampant across the league, and if we begin to see more evolution with how defenses are ran.  And if we start to see more college defensive coaches get brought into the NFL.  I think that was what was most concerning to a lot of Panthers fans about Snow... a college-lifer being hired as DC.  But with the amount of college, spread concepts you see in the NFL more and more, it makes a lot of sense to get a guy who is actually familiar with coaching against those offenses.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Don't look now but this could be a force to be reckon with if Darnold doesn't turn the ball over.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

My only hope is that the game gets out of hand early and former Houston Roughnecks QB MVPJ Walker gets in for a half...

SickEqualAfricanrockpython-size_restrict

*sigh*

What could have been...

MVPJ will get the job eventually after Darnold hits the wall. Darnold has a 6:5 career TD:INT ratio and has thrown 40 INTs in 40 games.

18 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:
5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Don't look now but this could be a force to be reckon with if Darnold doesn't turn the ball over.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

My only hope is that the game gets out of hand early and former Houston Roughnecks QB MVPJ Walker gets in for a half...

SickEqualAfricanrockpython-size_restrict

*sigh*

What could have been...

Expand  

MVPJ will get the job eventually after Darnold hits the wall. Darnold has a 6:5 career TD:INT ratio and has thrown 40 INTs in 40 games.

I put that more on NYJ than I do Darnold. 40 INTs in 40 games is 15 INTs in 40 games anywhere else...

I love MVPJ, but I see a Gardner Minshew-esque career if he starts for an extended period.