How best to set up IDP scoring?

cddolphin

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Does anybody have any experience with IDP? I want to add one, how do you usually score them? I was thinking something like:

• sacks: 2 points
  • tackles: 0.5 points
  • INTs / FFs / FRs: 3 points
  • defensive TD: 6 points

Too high for FF and FR.

I would do 1 for FF, and 2 for FR. The turnover is more important.

Solo tackle should be 1 point, assisted tackles, 0.5 points. 

Safeties? 4. My opinion.

12 minutes ago, CentralFC said:

Too high for FF and FR.

Safeties? 4. My opinion.

A tackle is worth the same as a FF? I'm not familiar with IDP leagues so I'm really not that sure. 

24 minutes ago, CentralFC said:

Too high for FF and FR.

Safeties? 4. My opinion.

Most successful IDP league I've been in just scrapped D/ST units and kickers entirely, bulked up the size of the benches, and made teams start 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, and 2 FLEX IDP every week, but then also factored return TD's in regardless of position (so DB's who were also returners had a slight premium to them).

13 hours ago, CentralFC said:

People suck. IDP adds a whole new element. 

Most people don't know how to pick players.  For DB's, sometimes you don't want to pick the good ones because offenses shy away from them.  Casual fans also have a hard time naming half a dozen defenders outside of their own team.

I don't play with them either, but mostly because my three leagues are full of casual fans.

If you want to balance out the scoring of the defensive players to be somewhat close to the RB and WR you really need to bump the scoring up enough.  You should be able to google search the defensive stats from previous seasons....https://fantasydata.com/nfl-stats/nfl-fantasy-football-stats.aspx?screen=idp

If the scoring is low for the defensive players, they have very little value and will be treated similar to kickers.  Also, I would consider adding more IDP starters.  If you are only starting 4-5 IDP, then there are just too many players and no real reason to invest in top tier ones as teams can get replacements on the FA waiver wire.  

In my league we have 2 IDP starters and use these settings. 

LB with high tackle counts are the safe picks but safeties are the boom/bust picks with the occasional pick-6/high tackle count games. It's hard to get a balance that profits playing a DE opposed to a linebacker but a few DE's are worth starting in this format. 

Also worth noting is points stack on a sack (counts as one tackle 1pt, one TFL .5 pts, and one sack 2pts giving a total of 3.5 pts for a sack and if that sack is a safety well you get another 4 points on-top of that) 

Tackle Solo 1  
Tackle Assist 0.5  
Sack 2  
Interception 3.5  
Fumble Force 1.5  
Fumble Recovery 2.5  
Defensive Touchdown 8  
Safety 4  
Pass Defended 1  
Block Kick 3  
Tackles for Loss .5  

no offense, but these IDP templates are very weak. if i were in these leagues, I'd treat IDPs as I do kickers and D/ST in standard leagues and draft them with my very last picks. they just don't score enough in these templates to matter much. 

I've got decent experience in IDP formats, and I tend to lean towards big play scoring over tackle heavy. as a rule of thumb, big play IDP scoring means whatever you've set the basic unit of scoring (tackles) as, make sacks 4X that. if tackles are 1 pt, sacks should be 4 pts. 

here is a quick template for big play IDP scoring in the leagues I commish 

tackles 1.5

assists 0.75

sacks 5 or 6

tackles for loss = half sacks (usually 2.5 or 3)

INTs 6 

fumbles forced 4

fumbles recovered 2

safeties 8 (how often do you see a safety?)

passes defensed 1.5 or 2 

hope this helps 

Archived