Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

44 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

So he basically forced a move? Wonder if Rodgers going down was the trigger though his teammates aren't exactly glowing about his time here.

I say good riddance.  Who wants a guy like that poisoning your locker room at the first sign of a set back = losing Rodgers to injury?

57 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

There's a Tweet above saying the Patriots would get that cap refund, not us. I don't know if it's true or how it works, just pointing it.

I'd like this explained as well. I know the cap can be hard to understand but I really don't get how the Pats would get a refund on money they didn't pay. 

I wonder if the packers released him because they knew New England was going to claim him if they did?  It gets the packers off the hook for the rest of the contract.  I'm not sure how the signed bonus repayment will go down .. would suck if we get stuck with it. I wonder also if the packers will consider filing a grievance against new england if they think people from their organization were in cahoots with Bennett's representation. Whole thing smells fishy. 

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wonder if the packers released him because they knew New England was going to claim him if they did?  It gets the packers off the hook for the rest of the contract.  I'm not sure how the signed bonus repayment will go down .. would suck if we get stuck with it. I wonder also if the packers will consider filing a grievance against new england if they think people from their organization were in cahoots with Bennett's representation. Whole thing smells fishy. 

I think we should file a grievance against NE if there is evidence of tampering and against the player for faking an injury to get released.  If he plays for NE this weekend we have a case the player at least IMO.

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Thx.  I guess they might also get cap credit if the packers file a grievance and win??

From reading that guys Twitter it sounds like the Patriots only receive the credit if Bennett suddenly retires as now the Patriots hold his rights. If he remains and plays for them, he shouldn't. Otherwise I imagine every team in the NFL would've put in a claim for a chance at free money.

Also, the comp pick guru for Overthecap has no idea how Bennett will factor into the formula for 2018, but to his best guess he believes he won't be factored in. Meaning the Pats won't get a pick for him and we could get the 5th for Cook.

Us getting our money back has zero to do with whether he plays again and 100% to do with, DID HE NOT DISCLOSE AN INJURY? IF he lied, IF because we’re innocent until proven guilty (America), his contract with us is 100% void. Not sure how that works on New England’s end, not our problem though. I don’t know of any profession on the planet you can lie on your resume, get a signing bonus, and keep it after it’s revealed you lied about your qualifications.

34 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Us getting our money back has zero to do with whether he plays again and 100% to do with, DID HE NOT DISCLOSE AN INJURY? IF he lied, IF because we’re innocent until proven guilty (America), his contract with us is 100% void. Not sure how that works on New England’s end, not our problem though. I don’t know of any profession on the planet you can lie on your resume, get a signing bonus, and keep it after it’s revealed you lied about your qualifications.

most jobs aren't collectively bargained union jobs.  And unless you sign something or violate the terms of your signing bonus, it would need to explicitly state that you not lie about your qualifications and have that be a provision to recoup the singing bonus.

I don't care what the comparable situations may or may not be, I only care about what the CBA says.

Archived