Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Thx.  I guess they might also get cap credit if the packers file a grievance and win??

How is this a brilliant move? 30 other teams had to decline him the exact same situation for this to happen right? Unless I'm just misunderstanding the mechanics I'm pretty sure this is just a situation where the Pats are happy to take a risk with him (pending a clean medical) when nobody else will because they have recent history with him. I think people only think this is "brilliant" because it's the Patriots so therefore everything they do is plated in gold.

6 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

How is this a brilliant move? 30 other teams had to decline him the exact same situation for this to happen right? Unless I'm just misunderstanding the mechanics I'm pretty sure this is just a situation where the Pats are happy to take a risk with him (pending a clean medical) when nobody else will because they have recent history with him. I think people only think this is "brilliant" because it's the Patriots so therefore everything they do is plated in gold.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

well it's Marty B for 700k, right?  So it's not a huge risk at all.  And the possibility that they get some cap relief in the form of 4.2M or 2.1M basically would mean you get the player, but also potentially get paid to get the player.

NE is only on the hook for his 2017 base salary.  GB is on the hook for the signing bonus (less whatever that GB can get back in an arbitration case).  Since GB has the signing bonus to cover, NE has no guaranteed $$ in this contract for 2018 or 2019.  It is a pretty risk free (from a financial perspective) acquisition for NE.  My guess is the rest of the NFL teams opted to pass based on the actions of Bennett the last few weeks.  NE has a history with Bennett and probably felt he would be a fine fit, and if it does not work out, they can cut him with $0 cap penalty

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

most jobs aren't collectively bargained union jobs.  And unless you sign something or violate the terms of your signing bonus, it would need to explicitly state that you not lie about your qualifications and have that be a provision to recoup the singing bonus.

I don't care what the comparable situations may or may not be, I only care about what the CBA says.

Yeah this is not expressly covered in the CBA. I looked for ANYTHING in it that would cover this situation but I didn’t see anything. Closest thing is, it states both the team and player must negotiate “in good faith” which isnt defined expressly in the agreement but is defined most commonly in a court of law as “in accordance with standards of honesty, trust, sincerity, etc.” 

31 minutes ago, squire12 said:

NE is only on the hook for his 2017 base salary.  GB is on the hook for the signing bonus (less whatever that GB can get back in an arbitration case).  Since GB has the signing bonus to cover, NE has no guaranteed $$ in this contract for 2018 or 2019.  It is a pretty risk free (from a financial perspective) acquisition for NE.  My guess is the rest of the NFL teams opted to pass based on the actions of Bennett the last few weeks.  NE has a history with Bennett and probably felt he would be a fine fit, and if it does not work out, they can cut him with $0 cap penalty

Yea it would make no sense for the league to wipe 2.1-4.2m off the Pat’s books. You can’t get a refund for something you didn’t pay. The signing bonus part of the cap hit stays with the original team when a player is cut or traded anyways. What the Pats essentially have right now is a 2.5yr, $13.7m contract that they can get out of at any time without any dead money. Not a bad move by them, but not exactly some Einstein 4D-chess thing. 

2 minutes ago, packerbacker87 said:

Thats an interesting thought. I hope not. 

Might be dependent on how influential the other FO members were in the signing.  There was some strong speculation that Wolf or Gutekunst had more influence in this past offseason in player resignings/signings.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Will be interesting to see if the Bennett situation has any dynamics on the future FA signings for GB.  Have to think that TT will be more reluctant to dip into the FA pool

This is an unusual situation.  Rodgers does down and Bennett loses interest in sticking around so he finagles his way out the door.  The guys left behind at 1265 won't say it publicly but I suspect they feel like Bennett bailed on them when things got rough.  Not exactly a team player IMO.

Archived