Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

What's he doing at the Patriots practice then?

Good point .. it just ruins his case about wanting to get surgery.  Basically he wanted to get surgery with Brett Hundley as his QB, but is willing to practice with Tom Brady.  I think the whole thing stinks ... would like to see the Packers file a grievance against the Patriots.  You almost know they put the bug in his ear about getting out of his deal.

One thing is true - we were warned this would happen. During the summer when all those posts "loving" this guy's personality were popping in many Packers forums (Bennett visiting some random kid and spending time with his parents, Bennett doing creative things, Bennett with funny tweets...) there were always posters from Bennett's previous teams saying "this is all good but you'll see when things go wrong you'll sour greatly on him". Well, they were right.

"They panicked. Thinking that I was trying to go on IR and be on their books next year. "

Sure, MB. Yea, I'm really sure TT & crew want to go through all this crap over some chump-change bonuses.~ 
Whether or not he went on IR this year shouldn't have made any meaningful difference on the 2018 cap. 

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

"They panicked. Thinking that I was trying to go on IR and be on their books next year. "

Sure, MB. Yea, I'm really sure TT & crew want to go through all this crap over some chump-change bonuses.~ 
Whether or not he went on IR this year shouldn't have made any meaningful difference on the 2018 cap. 

Thought the same when I read that. Maybe he doesn't know how the cap works.

EDIT: This may come as overly aggresive, maybe he's right and I'm missing something.

10 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

One thing is true - we were warned this would happen. During the summer when all those posts "loving" this guy's personality were popping in many Packers forums (Bennett visiting some random kid and spending time with his parents, Bennett doing creative things, Bennett with funny tweets...) there were always posters from Bennett's previous teams saying "this is all good but you'll see when things go wrong you'll sour greatly on him". Well, they were right.

Yes they were.

And was Bennett "Packer people" 2+ weeks ago before he announced his possible retirement?

The record is clear, Marty B who garnered so much love from at least a subset of posters on this board was a complete ****** in Dallas and Chicago well before he ever landed in Green Bay.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Yes they were.

And was Bennett "Packer people" 2+ weeks ago before he announced his possible retirement?

The record is clear, Marty B who garnered so much love from at least a subset of posters on this board was a complete ****** in Dallas and Chicago well before he ever landed in Green Bay.

Bro-ken

Re-cord

Cha Cha cha

26 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Thought the same when I read that. Maybe he doesn't know how the cap works.

EDIT: This may come as overly aggresive, maybe he's right and I'm missing something.

Yea there could be something I'm missing, but if so, he didn't explain it very well. And I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of players have little or no working knowledge of the cap. To me, cap hits are cap hits and it's not that relevant which year they're in, so long as teams are allowed to carry over unused cap space from year to year. Even if the Packers reached the decision to cut him and IR somehow guarantees the roster bonus or something for next year, it's really peanuts. And if they were worried about some sort of cap hold that would limit their ability to spend in FA in the offseason, they could still have just cut him now w/o the "failure to disclose" comment. work out an injury settlement like they've done countless times w/ other guys. 

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The link to the thread was posted.  Find 5 comments that suggest they would rather have had Cook.  Find two people who said they'd rather have had Cook. 

My statement was that some questioned not bringing back cook. I don't have to find 5 of one or 2 of another sorry I am not going to go back and read every Cook post i have other things to do. I'm quite certain though if i did review every post i find more than one person who was like wow i thought Cook was just fitting in. I recall reading the threads at the time and a few people were surprised.

Also some would think having a year in the system like Cook had would provide an advantage to a newcomer like MT.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Bro-ken

Re-cord

Cha Cha cha

March 12, 2017: "i just have this gut feeling bennett is going to fit in so well here. I get the impression he and Rodgers are going to get along swimmingly. Both intelligent guys." 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586606&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

Just classic.

Archived