Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't even understand Bennett's side of this story.  He says the GB medical staff wanted him to continue playing, but as a Packer, he opted for surgery on the advice of 3 doctors outside of the organization.  Now that he's a Patriot, he's preparing to play.  Seems to me he is validating the opinion of GB medical staff.

There is no understanding the mind of a selfish idiot. 

Bennett is a POS but he's no dummy. He signed up to play with Aaron Rodgers, not the Cleveland Browns. Marty is gonna do whats best simply for himself and he doesn't care one bit who he affects in the way of that or how he's perceived. In the end he got what he wanted unfortunately. Now he's throwing McKenzie under the bus so he can try and pocket his signing bonus while simultaneously trying to place all the blame on the Packers organization for his own pitiful behavior

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Bennett is a POS but he's no dummy.

Yeah, he is a dummy.  Not for weaseling his way out of playing for the Packers, but for his attempt at gaining any sort of high ground.  He should have been thanking the Packers to give him the chance to play for a contender instead of blaming them.  He's a dummy, and an idiotic dummy at that.  It shows you inside the mind of a selfish person.  They think they can rationalize their selfishness even when it's abundantly clear that they're selfish.  What Bennett said and did shows signs of a pathological liar.  He probably forces himself to believe his own lies based on what he said and did. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I've never been in a situation where I hope another team's QB gets hurt just so a second string tight end can suffer before, but that's exactly where I'm at now.  Don't want Brady to get hurt even though I hate him, so I guess I'm going to have to hope he gets caught red handed in a clear example of cheating that he gets suspended for the rest of Bennett's contract. 

Also, we play the Patriots next year.  I hope we have somebody that can guard Bennett by then. 

We play them in NE. Better hope Dom isnt within 50 miles of that game.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i would actually kinda love it if Dom went to NE and led a #1 defense.

The schadenfreude would be rich. 

Isn't this the whole point of Capers, though? He'd lead a #1 defense for the first 2 years in New England before he falls off a cliff into average defensive play. It's what he's done at every stop in his career. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, he is a dummy.  Not for weaseling his way out of playing for the Packers, but for his attempt at gaining any sort of high ground.  He should have been thanking the Packers to give him the chance to play for a contender instead of blaming them.  He's a dummy, and an idiotic dummy at that.  It shows you inside the mind of a selfish person.  They think they can rationalize their selfishness even when it's abundantly clear that they're selfish.  What Bennett said and did shows signs of a pathological liar.  He probably forces himself to believe his own lies based on what he said and did. 

Based on recent general events, these traits can apparently get you pretty far.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

i would actually kinda love it if Dom went to NE and led a #1 defense.

The schadenfreude would be rich. 

I'd love it if I won Powerball. But we all know that ain't happening.

Anyhoo, the Bennett Bros are both jags. Who knew?! 

19 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I've never been in a situation where I hope another team's QB gets hurt just so a second string tight end can suffer before, but that's exactly where I'm at now.  Don't want Brady to get hurt even though I hate him, so I guess I'm going to have to hope he gets caught red handed in a clear example of cheating that he gets suspended for the rest of Bennett's contract. 

Also, we play the Patriots next year.  I hope we have somebody that can guard Bennett by then. 

Isn't it easier just to want Bennett to actually get hurt instead? 

22 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am far from a TT lover, and I don't see where the decision to sign Bennet requires defending.  There was nothing wrong with the signing in and of itself.  It's a FA move that didn't work out.  Happens all the time.  

My post was in response to one that implying it was Wolf who was really behind the Bennett signing not General Manager Ted Thompson.

That attempt to deflect responsibility from Ted for signing Bennett was in sharp contrast to the adoration showered upon Ted and Ted alone by his fans when Bennett was initially signed.

As for the decision to sign Bennett, there may well have been nothing wrong with it. Then again, given his well documented history of being an absolute arse, is it really that surprising that Bennett went off the rails?

Or, ultimately is this "a case of buyer’s remorse, with the Packers blaming it on a concealed injury when the reality is that they knew or should have known that they were acquiring a player with a history of being a little kooky and uncooperative at times. He held it together while Rodgers was healthy, and then it apparently all fell apart once the quarterback went down.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/12/packers-reportedly-intend-to-seek-bonus-repayment-from-martellus-bennett/

One thing does looks certain, however, and that is the fact that given the principles and more importantly money involved it is far from over between Green Bay and Martellus Bennett.

35 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

My post was in response to one that implying it was Wolf who was really behind the Bennett signing not General Manager Ted Thompson.

That attempt to deflect responsibility from Ted for signing Bennett was in sharp contrast to the adoration showered upon Ted and Ted alone by his fans when Bennett was initially signed.

As for the decision to sign Bennett, there may well have been nothing wrong with it. Then again, given his well documented history of being an absolute arse, is it really that surprising that Bennett went off the rails?

Or, ultimately is this "a case of buyer’s remorse, with the Packers blaming it on a concealed injury when the reality is that they knew or should have known that they were acquiring a player with a history of being a little kooky and uncooperative at times. He held it together while Rodgers was healthy, and then it apparently all fell apart once the quarterback went down.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/12/packers-reportedly-intend-to-seek-bonus-repayment-from-martellus-bennett/

One thing does looks certain, however, and that is the fact that given the principles and more importantly money involved it is far from over between Green Bay and Martellus Bennett.

Did you at the time think signing Bennett would be an upgrade over Cook?   The vast majority of folks here and elsewhere thought he'd be an upgrade.  Too bad he's a quitter.

Just now, Pugger said:

Did you at the time think signing Bennett would be an upgrade over Cook?   The vast majority of folks here and elsewhere thought he'd be an upgrade.  Too bad he's a quitter.

Everybody did, and TOT didn't say a single thing in the thread where we signed Bennett.  It was considered common knowledge that Bennett was an upgrade on the field.

However, the argument TOT is making is that Bennett wasn't a personality fit.  As much as I hate to admit it, I lean towards agreeing with him.  Green Bay was the wrong destination for Michael Bennett the person. 

26 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Ted couldn’t even be bothered to replace Bennett on the 53. This team needs all the help it can get and We have an open roster spot. Inexcusable.

Who, right now other than somebody on our PS, would you suggest we go after?  I'm not being flippant.  I really don't think there is much out there.  :/

Archived