Packers release Martellus Bennett

marky mark

3 hours ago, th87 said:

Now I'm no cap expert, but in a weird way, shouldn't we be thanking MB?  

He gave us an out to escape the remainder of his contract (seemed like he wasn't a fit), and maybe get additional money back too.  Experiment failed - little harm, little foul.

For his part, he came to chase a ring, and that door slammed shut with 13 screws.  Now he doesn't have to blow his possible last year having to show up for Hundley in a lost year. 

Win-win.  Except for Dr. McKenzie, sadly.

I wish we knew the exact situation in terms of money, but I saw some talk the Patriots could benefit cap wise in some way. I have no clue what happens with this, compensatory picks etc.

Because they have no obligation to make it public. Talking only hurts them if there are any potential legal proceedings, and it really doesn't matter if fans or the media understand exactly what happened.

Not much difference from the Sitton situation. They are never going to actually explain.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good question. IMO TTs refusal to talk to the media during the season has always been one of his dumbest attributes. He should be addressing this situation, not MM.

possibly because the media are generally parasites these days that just like to fan the flames of conflict and sensationalize things

13 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Course, the Ted lovers all insisted it was a genius move by Ted at the time, now he needs defending right? LOL

I don't recall a lot of posters against signing Bennett at the time.  Most felt he was an upgrade over Cook.   MB is a decent athlete but we all now know he's a quitter once things went south.  We don't need that kind of loser in our locker room.  NE can have him.  If things go south for the Pats he'll bail on them too.

6 hours ago, th87 said:

Now I'm no cap expert, but in a weird way, shouldn't we be thanking MB?  

He gave us an out to escape the remainder of his contract (seemed like he wasn't a fit), and maybe get additional money back too.  Experiment failed - little harm, little foul.

For his part, he came to chase a ring, and that door slammed shut with 13 screws.  Now he doesn't have to blow his possible last year having to show up for Hundley in a lost year. 

Win-win.  Except for Dr. McKenzie, sadly.

With all of the players, both current and past, singing Doc's praises it show what kind of creep Bennett truly was.  

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Because they have no obligation to make it public. Talking only hurts them if there are any potential legal proceedings, and it really doesn't matter if fans or the media understand exactly what happened.

Not much difference from the Sitton situation. They are never going to actually explain.

There's no obligation but someone has to answer because the media is going to ask about it.  Since Mike is the only one who talks to the media he ends up having to do his job as well as answer for the front office.  It really wouldn't hurt for the GM to take some of the heat off the coach and answer for moves he's responsible for, it's part of the job.

15 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Course, the Ted lovers all insisted it was a genius move by Ted at the time, now he needs defending right? LOL

I am far from a TT lover, and I don't see where the decision to sign Bennet requires defending.  There was nothing wrong with the signing in and of itself.  It's a FA move that didn't work out.  Happens all the time.  

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am far from a TT lover, and I don't see where the decision to sign Bennet requires defending.  There was nothing wrong with the signing in and of itself.  It's a FA move that didn't work out.  Happens all the time.  

He's a hindsight poster. Probably blames Ted for Hayward and Hyde too, but at the time, there were no issues.

I think the fact that Bennett is preparing to play as a Patriot after opting for surgery when he as a Packer tells you the team is better off without out him. Not sure I've ever seen a clearer example of a player not buying into the team plan.  As a Packer, it's pretty clear that Bennet checked out the minute Rodgers went down.

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think the fact that Bennett is preparing to play as a Patriot after opting for surgery when he as a Packer tells you the team is better off without out him. Not sure I've ever seen a clearer example of a player not buying into the team plan.  As a Packer, it's pretty clear that Bennet checked out the minute Rodgers went down.

if you watch the replay of Aaron getting tackled by Barr, its clear that Bennett gave up on the team around the exact moment ARs collarbone broke

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Good question. IMO TTs refusal to talk to the media during the season has always been one of his dumbest attributes. He should be addressing this situation, not MM.

Do other teams GMs talk regularly to the public ever? Only one I can think of is Jerry Jones. How is it dumb too? It won't elevate the situation more than MM speaking on it. MM is suppose to address it anyways. He's the leader of the team, that's his job.

I've never been in a situation where I hope another team's QB gets hurt just so a second string tight end can suffer before, but that's exactly where I'm at now.  Don't want Brady to get hurt even though I hate him, so I guess I'm going to have to hope he gets caught red handed in a clear example of cheating that he gets suspended for the rest of Bennett's contract. 

Also, we play the Patriots next year.  I hope we have somebody that can guard Bennett by then. 

I don't even understand Bennett's side of this story.  He says the GB medical staff wanted him to continue playing, but as a Packer, he opted for surgery on the advice of 3 doctors outside of the organization.  Now that he's a Patriot, he's preparing to play.  Seems to me he is validating the opinion of GB medical staff.

Archived