Panthers trade for CB Stephon Gilmore (2023 6th rounder)

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

2019- DPOY

2021- traded for a 6th

Almost without fail, man CBs go from all-pro to journeymen when their athleticism begins to slip, which for most is right around 30. We’re not even talking anything extreme like dropping from 4.3 speed to 4.6 speed, probably more like losing 1/10th of a second, and that’s enough in the thankless world of CB play.

Makes what guys like Champ Bailey did all the more impressive.

Yeah.....this is not even surprising to me....if anything I think he got DPOY by default haha

But yeah corners go from Revis Island to barely making a roster super quick....most recent is Josh Norman who is like a joke after getting trucked

17 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Almost without fail, man CBs go from all-pro to journeymen when their athleticism begins to slip, which for most is right around 30. We’re not even talking anything extreme like dropping from 4.3 speed to 4.6 speed, probably more like losing 1/10th of a second, and that’s enough in the thankless world of CB play.

I wonder why more CBs don't transition to FS when they get up there in age - that lost athletic ability is mitigated when you're lining up further back and not required to turn and burn with WRs. You also have better sightlines playing deeper, so the ability to sniff out plays has to be enhanced as well.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but what do I know...

• Like 1

Great low-risk, high-reward move by CAR.

Patriots fumbled this by not trading him earlier last season, when they could have gotten something of value in a season where the Patriots weren't going to contend. Could've maybe gotten a 2nd anyway. Their initial trade value for him was too high and then he got injured and the market for him became zilch.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:58 PM, wackywabbit said:

So...  is there any reason the Pats didn't just keep him and let him walk for a comp pick? Surely it would have been better than a 6th and it would have come on 2023 anyway.

Am I missing some reason for him not being eligible for one?

Lets see how he plays, you might be very wrong about that comp pick