2021 Week Five GDT Steelers vs. Broncos

Steeler Hitman

2021-steelers-vs-broncos.jpg

The 1-3 Steelers host the 3-1 Broncos

Sunday, October 10, 2021 @ 1 pm. 

Broncos lead the series history 20-12-1

Last game played at Heinz Field in 2020 won by the Steelers 26-21. A game the Steelers dominated everywhere except the score and made Jeff Driscoll look like Jeff Garcia. 😀  The Steelers offense floundered opportunities and helped keep the defense on the field for half the game. The defense had problems getting off the field at times in the second half. Denver has historically matched up well with the Steelers. 

uspw_6875420_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200&h=120

Big Ben is taking some heat for his play the last two games. The OL play improved in both games allowing more in the rushing attack, but despite a 65% completion rate in Green Bay, Big Ben's play was subpar by his standards. And ours as fans. Ben missed some completions that would have made the game more competitive. 

729a55eaf31990b1be356815b96a6baf

It is heating up in the coaching front as well. We can talk player decisions and execution, but we also have to talk about putting players in the best position to succeed. The team throws swing passes on 4th and 10 or goal. They throw long passes on third and 3 or 4. Then throw 5 yard passes on third and 11 or more. The Steelers are 1-3 for the second time in three seasons. Prospects are not looking great that it won't be 1-5 for the second time! Seahawks are coming to town next! For all the talk about offensive creativity and giving Ben weapons, and taking the pressure off of him, the offense struggles to put 10 points a game. There's too much talent and too many weapons for that to happen. some of it falls in the laps of those game planning and making the strategic decisions to run five yard routes on third and 15. 

WattFitzpatrick013_RegWk03_49ers-1200x60

The foundation of the Steelers defense has some dents. The Steelers need their two franchise studs to step things up. Injuries, missing players along the defensive line, an ILB trying to get his sea legs back, teamed with a new counterpart, and some very inconsistent play have hurt the Steelers defense. While the offense has not done them many favors this season, they have room to elevate their game and make some more splash plays. That would go a long way to restoring some confidence and consistency on defense. 

juju-smith-schuster-1.jpg

The usually smiling and cheerful Ju Ju Smith Schuster was not happy after Big Ben failed to put a few passes in his zip code. He finally gets to run more than a four yard drag, he gets open and the balls sail over his head. It is a game of inches and feet in some cases. 🤢 Hang in there Ju Ju! 

StockOffensiveLine1.jpg

The Steelers OL played their best game against the Packers. While far from perfect, they made some strides in run blocking and pass protection. Will it continue? As the OL improves, the overall offense should as well.

14294874-Pag9g1.jpeg

Most of Steelers Nation is hoping that Zach Banner can return this week. He would be a welcome site to the OL. Hello Big Sexy!!!!

TDP-L-BRNX49ERS_81919_EL408x.jpg?w=1024&

BTW: We miss you Coach Munchak. No shade or anything towards Coach Klemm. I actually think Coach Klemm is doing as best he can with what he has to work with. But I am just sending genuine love from Steelers Nation to a guy who had an imprint on this team. Best wishes, but not this weekend! Steelers Nation extends best wishes to you and your family Coach Munchak! 

b3a1a117-a777-4ea1-8ad7-73bc1a3a10aa-768

This is a game that the Steelers will again need help from special teams or I should say the starting defense on special teams! Potential game changing play in most games (I think the Packers were just too much for the Steelers). However, this type of play could make a difference this week. Provided the refs get it right!!!!

usa-today-8912022.0.jpg

The Steelers have to get their homefield mojo back! They have not won at Heinz Field since barely defeating the Colts late last year. You don't let people just walk in your house open your refrigerator and make themselves comfortable. Next thing they are trying to go upstairs!

nationallampoonschristmasvacation-inflat

My pigskin prognostications could use a more varsity effort. (Touché Coach T!!!) I am at a whopping 1-3, just like my Steelers.😁 Maybe we can both get on the winning side this weekend. Big maybe because my confidence in this team is close to being shot. Realistically, I see some life on the OL. With Von Miller attacking with 4.5 sacks already, the Steelers OL may fall back to reality in the pass protection and passing attack. However, I am going to go out on a limb and say the Steelers win at home (finally) 24 - 19. Varsity efforts all around and the offense scores more than 17 points (with some help from the defense). Being 2-3 shouldn't be much to smile about, but at this point, I will take it.

Aaron-Rodgers-says-he-has-a-lot-of-respe

Edited by Steeler Hitman
corrections and type-o's
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

I see the boo birds flying Sunday. I think den wins

At this point, I cant pick the Steelers against anyone except maybe Detroit, Jacksonville and NYJ.   

This is just a historically bad offense and the defense isnt as good as last year.   Missing 2/3rds of our starting DLine and our CBs are meh.    

I cant see us winning more than 6 games...and even 4 wouldnt shock me.

I think this game is pivotal for Ben. he needs to show improvement over the first 4 weeks, and the Steelers need to win this game. If it is more of the same with improved O line play and crappy reads and throws, plus another Steelers loss, I am not sure how Tomlin can keep playing Ben. 

Maybe we'll hear more about the hip after this game if they lose?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 43M said:

At this point, I cant pick the Steelers against anyone except maybe Detroit, Jacksonville and NYJ.   

This is just a historically bad offense and the defense isnt as good as last year.   Missing 2/3rds of our starting DLine and our CBs are meh.    

I cant see us winning more than 6 games...and even 4 wouldnt shock me.

looking at the schedule. I got 6 wins for the season as best case scenario with this offense. I see some beatdowns up and down the schedule 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, August4th said:

looking at the schedule. I got 6 wins for the season as best case scenario with this offense. I see some beatdowns up and down the schedule 

I have 4 wins just because they will beat someone we do not expect ( like Buffalo).  Honestly, the only team I think they can beat is Detroit.

Honestly, I could see us winning the next 5 just as easy as us losing the next 5. I don't think this team is done for. The oline is improving every week, Najee is looking better every week, the defense is still solid. This season's success will hinge upon the offense learning how to control the ball and win the TOP battle. I'm not convinced Ben is so bad that he will tank the offense. There's already been growing pains, but I could see the team going on a run at the end. I've thought since the offseason that this team would start off rocky but then figure it out as we go along. It's utterly reliant on health, though. 

• Like 1

Ben has to be more accurate than he was in the Green Bay game. He even said himself that he missed a lot of throws, and those are besides the two potential TDs to JuJu. The O line is still playing poorly, but they showed improvement over the Cinci game. 

I think this team can beat Denver, if they can hold the Broncos to 14 points or less. I am doubtful this team can beat Seattle without scoring at least 30 points.