Week 5 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

Just now, iknowcool said:

If he busts, I'll be willing to admit I was wrong.  I'm already starting to think I was wrong about him.  I don't remember him looking this inaccurate in college.  

I do think the skill-set is still there but it is really hard to expect someone to improve their accuracy as much as Wilson will need to.  And I don't think it is as simple as pointing at Josh Allen and saying, "Well, he did it."  Josh Allen is a freak.  And even then, he's still not the best pocket passer, but he makes up for it because of his elite physical skill-set.  Wilson has a very good arm and can move but he's not going to be able to compensate like Allen can.

I'm not knocking anyone individually who liked him, but there is an entire machine of Chris Simms type dudes who hopped on his jock the second he started getting mocked high in the draft. 

I get that he's got a big arm and can make impressive looking throws on the run, so I see why teams liked him. But he's bad. Straight up bad.

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

If he busts, I'll be willing to admit I was wrong.  I'm already starting to think I was wrong about him.  I don't remember him looking this inaccurate in college.  

I do think the skill-set is still there but it is really hard to expect someone to improve their accuracy as much as Wilson will need to.  And I don't think it is as simple as pointing at Josh Allen and saying, "Well, he did it."  Josh Allen is a freak.  And even then, he's still not the best pocket passer, but he makes up for it because of his elite physical skill-set.  Wilson has a very good arm and can move but he's not going to be able to compensate like Allen can.

EDIT - And like I said before, he does not see the field well at all.  A lot of sacks and hits he takes are on him.  Locks onto his 1st read.  The game is tooooo fast for him.

The issue is that the game looks overwhelmingly fast for him right now, Allen was inaccurate because of a bad throwing platform with his hips and back foot drag as a rookie, but the game did not look overwhelming too him at any point.

Wilson just does not look like he can handle NFL speed, like you say, he's running into sacks he shouldn't be because he's trying to make college plays on instinct and just can't take the easy hits across the middle because he can't see it.

2 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Not a great game by Wilson but lets not act like he has a lot of help. A rookie like him needs a good running game and good TE as a safety blanket. He does seem like another offseason is necessary to clean up his mechanics and get comfortable in the scheme but already calling him a bust is a bit early imo.

The thing is...I'm not even sure that this is a great draft to really help him out on offense. I think this is a defensive heavy draft at the top. You have some offensive linemen that could help out, but I don't love the skill players at the top all that much. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not knocking anyone individually who liked him, but there is an entire machine of Chris Simms type dudes who hopped on his jock the second he started getting mocked high in the draft. 

I get that he's got a big arm and can make impressive looking throws on the run, so I see why teams liked him. But he's bad. Straight up bad.

Simms had him #1 overall and above Lawrence, based on physical tools, despite the two being functionally identical physically tools wise. 

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Wilson just does not look like he can handle NFL speed, like you say, he's running into sacks he shouldn't be because he's trying to make college plays on instinct and just can't take the easy hits across the middle because he can't see it.

That throw to Corey Davis with 30 seconds left, wide open in the flat where he'd immediately get tackled and would have cost a timeout is just damning.

Not only did he miss an easy throw, he made the first open throw without any understanding of the situation. Totally inexcusable and disqualifyingly bad.

Just now, Forge said:

The thing is...I'm not even sure that this is a great draft to really help him out on offense. I think this is a defensive heavy draft at the top. You have some offensive linemen that could help out, but I don't love the skill players at the top all that much. 

Also the Jets offensive skill talent is not that bad, they're a perfectly average NFL skill position unit. Like I'm sorry I don't buy into the Mac Jones crowning and enjizzening that appears to be happening nationally (I think he's just okay, a guy, poor mans Andy Dalton), but he has demonstrably worse skill  position and OL play across the board than Wilson and manages to look like he's above water!

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That throw to Corey Davis with 30 seconds left, wide open in the flat where he'd immediately get tackled and would have cost a timeout is just damning.

Not only did he miss an easy throw, he made the first open throw without any understanding of the situation. Totally inexcusable and disqualifyingly bad.

He needed to sit and just watch film of a Joe Flacco or a Teddy Bridgewater or an *insert cromulent backup here* in front of him and learn basic NFL concepts. Playing so much is just too much for him, he doesn't have time, or ability, to see what's happening right now and the more he runs into these hits and throws these balls the worse and more ingrained it's going to be. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

They just drafted Mecton and Veta-Tucker as well as Moore/Mims and signed Corey Davis. They do need a legit RB/TE though. Dallas Goedert would be a nice FA signing and Isaiah Spiller in the 2nd round would be a solid add as well.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They just drafted Mecton and Veta-Tucker as well as Moore/Mims and signed Corey Davis. They do need a legit RB/TE though. Dallas Goedert would be a nice FA signing and Isaiah Spiller in the 2nd round would be a solid add as well.

Goedert would be a huge addition if they could land him. 

At this point, I don't think that Mims is a thing and I believe Crowder would be gone. So I'd like to see them grab at least one more receiver.