College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Telling me he's an awful talent evaluator doesn't make me feel any better about him.

I think he's a great coach(especially offensively) and has a fantastic personality for coaching a team. And NO ONE studies film like him. I'd love for the Raiders to can JDR and hire him back.

But yeah his only deficiency is drafting talent and he's always demanded GM level roster power as a HC. But if a team could get him to come back and let a GM or strong recruiting staff work for him while he focuses on coaching, he'd be a top notch hire at either level imo.

2 hours ago, riceman80 said:

I think he's a great coach(especially offensively) and has a fantastic personality for coaching a team. And NO ONE studies film like him. I'd love for the Raiders to can JDR and hire him back.

But yeah his only deficiency is drafting talent and he's always demanded GM level roster power as a HC. But if a team could get him to come back and let a GM or strong recruiting staff work for him while he focuses on coaching, he'd be a top notch hire at either level imo.

I agree on the first part.

As for the second part...I think he would be an absolute beast in recruiting.  Recruits would eat up his enthusiasm.  All aboard the Gruden-tr...Gruden-train sounds kinda dirty.  Gruden...locomotive?  trolley?  scooter?

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think his style of coaching would be a good fit in college.  Plus, recruits would want to play for him as they'd assume it'd be a benefit in them making it to the NFL.  Third, you would imagine he'd be able to put together a very good coaching staff.

#fullydelusional

Let's put it this way:

1. Gruden hasn't coached in college since 1991.

2. Gruden hated young QBs and WRs in his offense in the NFL.

3. There will be gigs open this off-season with proven QBs in the NFL.

4. Gruden is still a hot name in the NFL world.

5. Tennessee fans convince themselves Gruden will accept their HC job every time there's an opening.

Why is Gruden finally going to decide to go to Tennessee this time? Why wouldn't he return to TB where he has Winston or go to Indy with Luck?

56 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let's put it this way:

1. Gruden hasn't coached in college since 1991.

2. Gruden hated young QBs and WRs in his offense in the NFL.

3. There will be gigs open this off-season with proven QBs in the NFL.

4. Gruden is still a hot name in the NFL world.

5. Tennessee fans convince themselves Gruden will accept their HC job every time there's an opening.

Why is Gruden finally going to decide to go to Tennessee this time? Why wouldn't he return to TB where he has Winston or go to Indy with Luck?

#

1.  Don't care.

2.  Good.  Rely on juniors and seniors.

3.  What about him has shown a desire to go back to the pros?

4.  Ok, I was joking before now, but when you did seriously see him ever come close to interviewing for an NFL job recently at all?  Never.  The story was always "he'd never leave that cushy MNF job for one where he actually had to go back to work and not just sit in a booth".  The chances of him leaving are minuscule.  It's a joke at best.

5.  Not true, there were literally no knowledgable UT fans who thought Gruden would be going to UT in 2012 when we hired Butch(I fully admit I was hoping for Charlie Strong the entire time).  That was never even a possibility then.  A couple of idiots called into talk radio and tried to make it a thing...but no one really believed it.  

So forgive me if I go full delusional and want Gruden.  It won't happen.  I know that.  But it would be awesome if it did.  

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

#

1.  Don't care.

2.  Good.  Rely on juniors and seniors.

3.  What about him has shown a desire to go back to the pros?

4.  Ok, I was joking before now, but when you did seriously see him ever come close to interviewing for an NFL job recently at all?  Never.  The story was always "he'd never leave that cushy MNF job for one where he actually had to go back to work and not just sit in a booth".  The chances of him leaving are minuscule.  It's a joke at best.

5.  Not true, there were literally no knowledgable UT fans who thought Gruden would be going to UT in 2012 when we hired Butch(I fully admit I was hoping for Charlie Strong the entire time).  That was never even a possibility then.  A couple of idiots called into talk radio and tried to make it a thing...but no one really believed it.  

So forgive me if I go full delusional and want Gruden.  It won't happen.  I know that.  But it would be awesome if it did.  

I could see Gruden coaching again. What about him has shown a desire for the NFL? He's flirted with NFL teams. I know the Rams approached him last year, and he directed us to McVay. I think he's considering it at this point.

Archived