The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He was apart of the Stanford staff from the beginning as their offensive coordinator. Harbaugh coached their for 4 years, only had 2 winning seasons, and was 29-21 overall. In the years following Harbaugh's departure with Shaw leading the team they went 11-2, 12-2, 11-3, 8-5, 12-2, 10-3, 9-5, 9-4. That's a 6 year span of success post Harbaugh. Jim has won less coaching at Michigan in his first 6 years than Shaw in his first 6 years at Stanford. 

Look at other programs like USC and Oregon. USC has been up and down since Pete Carroll left and has had 5 different head coaches leading the program. Oregon has been up and down since Chip Kelly left and has had 3 different head coaches leading the program. 

He was the oc on those teams.  But again Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team and over 4 seasons built them to 12-1.  He also left a lot of recruits around for Shaw to coach.  I am not saying that Shaw is a bad coach.  But I think he is at best a 9 win coach in a conference that doesn't produce many teams that compete nationally.    

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t want David Shaw. Joe Brady, Lincoln Riley, Jim Harbaugh are all sexy signings. Brady is the easiest to get, he’ll be interviewing for Head Coach jobs. He had the greatest college offense in NCAA history. Made Burrow from a zero to a hero. He also has revived Darnold’s career and has that offense clicking on all cylinders. 

If we can’t get any of those three, I’d take a hard look at Matt Campbell. 

Joe Brady has done nothing, he was a QB coach for a year in college and the Panthers offense has been average at best. Revived Darnold's career??? He has 6 TD/6 INT this season and they're averaging 23.0 ppg this season after averaging 21.9 ppg last season. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was apart of the Stanford staff from the beginning as their offensive coordinator. Harbaugh coached their for 4 years, only had 2 winning seasons, and was 29-21 overall. In the years following Harbaugh's departure with Shaw leading the team they went 11-2, 12-2, 11-3, 8-5, 12-2, 10-3, 9-5, 9-4. That's a 6 year span of success post Harbaugh. Jim has won less coaching at Michigan in his first 6 years than Shaw in his first 6 years at Stanford. 

Look at other programs like USC and Oregon. USC has been up and down since Pete Carroll left and has had 5 different head coaches leading the program. Oregon has been up and down since Chip Kelly left and has had 3 different head coaches leading the program. 

The only concern I have about Shaw is that Stanford's offense is absolutely archaic. I don't doubt it's partly a "make do with what you got" scenario, given Stanford is hardly a recruiting dream job, but unless we get a guy in here who manufactures 5500 passing yards and scores 50 points per game, some people will just **** and moan about how he isn't using their favorite player right. 

Personally, I like winning. And I think David Shaw could offer plenty of that along with a tight ship. 

1 minute ago, SodakRaiders said:

He was the oc on those teams.  But again Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team and over 4 seasons built them to 12-1.  He also left a lot of recruits around for Shaw to coach.  I am not saying that Shaw is a bad coach.  But I think he is at best a 9 win coach in a conference that doesn't produce many teams that compete nationally.    

Stanford has had more players drafted then any school in the Pac-12 since David Shaw became the head coach. He won 12 and 10 games in years 5/6 when literally none of Harbaugh's players were on the team anymore. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

The only concern I have about Shaw is that Stanford's offense is absolutely archaic. I don't doubt it's partly a "make do with what you got" scenario, given Stanford is hardly a recruiting dream job, but unless we get a guy in here who manufactures 5500 passing yards and scores 50 points per game, some people will just **** and moan about how he isn't using their favorite player right. 

Personally, I like winning. And I think David Shaw could offer plenty of that along with a tight ship. 

Stanford is at a major recruiting disadvantage due to their high academic standards. They literally can't even go after a bunch of elite kids because they won't qualify academically. Pair him with a good OC/DC and let him be the leader of the team. Everyone else is suggesting guys like Joe Brady who has done nothing but be average in the NFL, Lincoln Riley who inherited a great program at Oklahoma, and Jim Harbaugh who has done worse at Michigan with 10x more resources than Shaw at Stanford. 

My problem with Shaw is he’s not really an expert at anything and just a great leader and his track record at Stanford is impressive but not that impressive. I really think he’d be a very lackluster NFL Head Coach. I don’t even think he’s even sought after very much. 

If you are purely going for a minority Head Coach, I’d much rather get Matt Campbell. He’s been great for Iowa State. He turned down the Lions 6 year 60mil deal, but I don’t think he would turn down the Raiders. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Joe Brady has done nothing, he was a QB coach for a year in college and the Panthers offense has been average at best. Revived Darnold's career??? He has 6 TD/6 INT this season and they're averaging 23.0 ppg this season after averaging 21.9 ppg last season. 

6 TD/6 INT and 4 fumbles. 

He's lucky to not have several more INTs and even luckier that he's only actually been credited with 1 fumble lost. 

If looking slightly less incompetent is considered a revival, then I guess Brady revived Darnold. Seems to me, though, that Darnold is still a turnover machine plopped into a situation where the far superior weapons at his disposal have just mitigated some of his damage. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

McCaffery was the 95th ranked recruit coming out of HS and was a top 10 pick after playing at Stanford... David Shaw was a part of the coaching staff when Sherman played there and he was a WR being coached by Shaw who suggested that he make the switch to CB. But I guess he had no impact, Joe Brady better.

Tbh i feel like that was more racism(the fact that he was a white player playing a position that is predominantly white). He actually mentioned this during the draft process 

Thats something he actually mentioned. He also recruited Sherman to play WR so it still doesn't matter lol.

Yea id rather have Joe Brady. But I like shaw too 

Just now, BayRaider said:

My problem with Shaw is he’s not really an expert at anything and just a great leader and his track record at Stanford is impressive but not that impressive. I really think he’d be a very lackluster NFL Head Coach. I don’t even think he’s even sought after very much. 

If you are purely going for a minority Head Coach, I’d much rather get Matt Campbell. He’s been great for Iowa State. He turned down the Lions 6 year 60mil deal, but I don’t think he would turn down the Raiders. 

We can hire Joe Brady offensive guru, lol. The Panthers offense has been terrible this season. 19 against the Jets, 26 against the Saints but the defense carried that, 24 against the Texans, 28 against the Cowboys (14 in garage time), and 18 against the Eagles.

How is Shaw's track record at Stanford not that impressive? Dating back to 1920 Stanford's football program has had 9 10+ win seasons, 5 of those seasons have came under David Shaw. The program was never nationally relevant and he took the torch from Harbaugh and had even more success. Dude has helped develop some of the greatest players in the history of football that came into college unheralded. 

Matt Campbell is 38-30 at Iowa State, never had a 10 win season, never won a Big 12 championship, and the team has finished ranked once in 5 seasons. 

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Tbh i feel like that was more racism(the fact that he was a white player playing a position that is predominantly white). He actually mentioned this during the draft process 

Thats something he actually mentioned. He also recruited Sherman to play WR so it still doesn't matter lol.

Yea id rather have Joe Brady. But I like shaw too 

So he was actually NFL ready but racist scouts ranked him lower and Shaw, his head coach and play caller, had nothing to do with him producing 2,700 yards in a season. He coached Sherman at the beginning of his career at WR and then suggested he make the switch after he got injured and had to redshirt. 

What has Joe Brady done? Darnold has 6 TD/10 TO this year and their offense has been doo doo, lol.