The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

Does David Shaw want an NFL job? He hasn't in the past.

Throwing it out there, what about Jim Harbaugh? He did great things in San Fran. Came into their program in what they thought was a rebuilding year and went 13-3 and won coach of the year behind Alex Smith. He has a .690 record in the NFL. 

Harbaugh is the kind of experienced guy who could come in, tweak a roster with some talent and hire good assistants. He launched the careers of both Fangio (Denver) and Roman (OC Baltimore). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

David Shaw is an offensive minded coach. He played WR in college, was an offensive assistant for us back in the day, and was Stanford's OC before taking over as their head coach. During Shaw's time at Stanford the program has had more players drafted then any other school in the Pac-12 despite not being able to recruit a lot of top guys due to their strict academic requirements. Even then Shaw has put a bunch of notable players into the league including Andrew Luck, Christian McCaffery, Zach Ertz just to name a few. 

I think he'd do very well in a CEO overseeing everything type of role. Under Shaw Stanford really went from being a bottom feeding program to a consistent 10+ win team and he has had to do it by adding lower ranked guys then developing them. Obviously college football is much different then the NFL but he has experience building a successful program and instilling a winning culture at a place that had a losing culture for decades before he showed up. We've seen Harbaugh, Carroll, and Kingsbury all have success making the leap and Rhule looks super legit for the Panthers. 

There are 3 reasons why I think Shaw should be the next head coach:

1.) He was an instrumental part in taking Stanford from being a terrible program to one of the best in the country so you know that he can develop talent and understands how to build a winning culture. 

2.) He was on the staff during our last run as a contender in the early 2000's and had a great relationship with Al Davis. He understands the value of the Raiders brand, what it represents, and I think he'd really be dedicated to ensuring that we get back on track to honor his friend, Al Davis. 

3.) He's a no non-sense, very well spoken coach that values integrity and accountability. One of our biggest issues is that we've lacked leadership and I think that changes instantly if you hire him. 

Sold!!! 😁😁

This makes a lot of sense, Shaw is kind of the antithesis of Gruden in many ways and I think we need that now. Didn't Solomon Thomas play for Stanford too?

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Does David Shaw want an NFL job? He hasn't in the past.

Throwing it out there, what about Jim Harbaugh? He did great things in San Fran. Came into their program in what they thought was a rebuilding year and went 13-3 and won coach of the year behind Alex Smith. He has a .690 record in the NFL. 

Harbaugh is the kind of experienced guy who could come in, tweak a roster with some talent and hire good assistants. He launched the careers of both Fangio (Denver) and Roman (OC Baltimore). 

Money talks though and he already has a good relationship with Mark Davis and ties to the organization. I know he has said that he wants to be at Stanford forever but the program has declined over the past couple of seasons and if he's going to make the leap now would be the perfect time to do it. 

Jim Harbaugh would be a nice hire as well but I just don't think he's interested in coaching in the NFL or leaving a great situation at Michigan. 

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This makes a lot of sense, Shaw is kind of the antithesis of Gruden in many ways and I think we need that now. Didn't Solomon Thomas play for Stanford too?

Yes he did and we've seen Stanford/Shaw produce some of the best players in the league including Andrew Luck and CMac. As a POC head coach that's extremely bright and extremely high character I think he's the perfect guy to get the franchise moving in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like Brady as well but he's so inexperienced. He's only 32 years old, was never an OC/HC in college, and only has 2 years of NFL OC experience under his belt. 

Two years under Sean Peyton.  One college sEason in which he developed then mid rounder in Joe Burrow into the #1 pick and won a national title.  Made Sam Darnold respectable.  Idk.  His trajectory needle is pegged upward.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Totty said:

Two years under Sean Peyton.  One college sEason in which he developed then mid rounder in Joe Burrow into the #1 pick and won a national title.  Made Sam Darnold respectable.  Idk.  His trajectory needle is pegged upward.  

That's all fine and dandy but he was an offensive assistant with the Saints and the passing game coordinator with LSU. Darnold currently has 6 TD/6 INT through the first 5 games of the season and the Panthers were 24th in scoring offense last year and are currently 16th this year. Plus he's only 32 and has zero head coaching experience. I wouldn't hate a Brady hiring but he is still very young and unproven. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:
18 minutes ago, Totty said:

Joe FN Brady or bust.

I like Brady as well but he's so inexperienced. He's only 32 years old, was never an OC/HC in college, and only has 2 years of NFL OC experience under his belt. 

I agree with NYRaider, I think we need a culture shift and I think Shaw may be the guy to do it. Who knows, maybe he wants to stay at Stanford or doesn't want the Raider role but I think it's really, really high risk going with a very young OC and promoting him to HC where he's never been. A few young guys have had success recently but I think our situation is unique in that we don't even know what the GM powers are, is Mark going to decide the head coach on his own, does Mayock have any say? Does Mayock fall on his sword too? I think we need an experienced guy to come in and sort this mess out. That's not to say Brady couldn't be a great HC at a different location but I just think the situation is wrong for a really young guy to step into having not been through the grinder a bit.

Edited by Darbsk

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

That's all fine and dandy but he was an offensive assistant with the Saints and the passing game coordinator with LSU. Darnold currently has 6 TD/6 INT through the first 5 games of the season and the Panthers were 24th in scoring offense last year and are currently 16th this year. Plus he's only 32 and has zero head coaching experience. I wouldn't hate a Brady hiring but he is still very young and unproven. 

Yeah that's all true.  And I understand your stance.  You want David Shaw, correct?  I wouldn't be upset with that choice either.  

Just now, Totty said:

Yeah that's all true.  And I understand your stance.  You want David Shaw, correct?  I wouldn't be upset with that choice either.  

Yeah, David Shaw is my hands down favorite to be our next coach. As I've said before he has ties to the team, has built Stanford into a consistent winner, and is basically anti-Gruden. Would be a perfect hire, imo.

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with NYRaider, I think we need a culture shift and I think Shaw may be the guy to do it. Who knows, maybe he wants to stay at Stanford or doesn't want the Raider role but I think it's really, really high risk going with a very young OC and promoting him to HC where he's never been. A few young guys have had success recently but I think our situation is unique in that we don't even know what the GM powers are, is Mark going to decide the head coach? Does Mayock fall on his sword too? I think we need an experienced guy to come in and sort this mess out. That's not to say Brady couldn't be a great HC at a different location but I just think the situation is wrong for a really young guy to step into having not been through the grinder a bit.

One thing working in our favor is that after the Covid-19 season Stanford has struggled so I think Shaw would potentially be more willing to move on the he was in the past. Mayock also has a good relationship with Shaw so I think we could keep Mayock while hiring Shaw. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, David Shaw is my hands down favorite to be our next coach. As I've said before he has ties to the team, has built Stanford into a consistent winner, and is basically anti-Gruden. Would be a perfect hire, imo.

I don't doubt he'd be a good coach.  I just get excited at the prospect of Brady and what I've seen since his LSU days.  

9 minutes ago, Totty said:

I don't doubt he'd be a good coach.  I just get excited at the prospect of Brady and what I've seen since his LSU days.  

What about Shaw who has ties to the team, has actually shown he can build a successful program even with a ton of things working against him, and is experienced running a program. Stanford was a bottom feeding program before Shaw and he has more 10 win seasons then the program has without him in like 80 seasons, lol.