The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

If Raiders do hire Josh McDaniels, don’t overlook chance they improve in redzone offense. Been a problem for a long time. Patriots ranked 7th in RZ TD scoring (63%) last year with a rookie QB. They also finished 6th in 3rd down conversion rate (44%).

i dont get all the hate though. honestly i thought back with broncos he needed more time. He def needs a top notch DC regardless.  Id prob take him over bowles

Edited by roi34
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

How would we feel about this hire if Harbaugh had never been on the table? I get the feeling that the fact we’ve all been drawn to one very prominent prospective hire has made everything else feel underwhelming by comparison…

He would still be among my least wanted candidates in the same tier as Rich/Quinn/Bowles/some others.

Take a look at his successes and honestly ask yourself how much he had to do with it. He had the greatest Quarterback of all time who often rebuffed his decisions at pivotal moments AND was under the greatest coach of all time. With that kind of surrounding it simply requires knowing your place and not being a total idiot to have success.

Mac Jones had a very solid year for a rookie. But his most impressive games were against cupcakes and his game-plan in the wildcard was dreadful. As was his tenure in Denver after the first 6 games. His St. Louis OC year was so bad he didn't get a second. He ran back home where he knew he could build his profile back up by simply being around the best and hoping another fool down the line would think it rubbed off on him.

Even if I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he's gotten better at scheming or coaching, he would still be a slimeball. I don't believe most people change. Less so if that person is 32 and hasn't had to in order to succeed. He was lined up for a job a the Colts just a few years ago and bailed at the last second. He was awful with players and coworkers as an adult man and I think it's naive to think that goes away. A coach does not have to be an amazing person to succeed but there has to be a) a buy-in from others that he's competent which I question and b) has to be to convince his guys to believe in his vision. He checks neither of those for me.

He would also be surrounding himself with many of the same people he was at in Denver, so the "he has a GM who makes decisions now" is not very convincing for me in regards to personnel. Nor does NE's personnel record inspire me enough to be excited about them joining this organization (but in fairness Bill runs decisions there so its possible Ziegler may have his own views that were suppressed). 

Edited by Dodo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Bill Belicheck flamed out in his first head coaching gig and then created the Patriot way.....

Season 10 Omg GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ah right, it must happen again then. Better hope we draft the GOAT in the 6th round. How has Bill done since GOAT left? 

56 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah the Patriot way has not worked out anywhere. Maybe because the “Patriot way” involved something called Spygate their first few Super Bowls. Yeah, I went there. NFL (and MLB) sweep any cheating scandal under the rug. ESPN report came out seven years later in 2014 Spygate was way worse than anyone could possibly imagine. They had practices taped of everyone, all signals for every team, etc. It was bad. 

Some of you forgot Al Davis's rule #1: Cheating Is Encouraged

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Its not the same thing, Flores has shown he can be the guy outside of NE. 

So did Bill O'Brien, but we'll just ignore that too.

McDaniels was the youngest coach ever hired at the time. He was clearly out of his depth. He handled things wrong from the jump with trying to trade for Matt Cassel and creating a rift with Cutler. The rest as they say is history. 

Not a stretch to think that maybe the guy has grown up a little. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Ah right, it must happen again then. Better hope we draft the GOAT in the 6th round. How has Bill done since GOAT left? 

christmas vacation GIF

He rebuilt the team in 1 year and got to the playoffs with a rookie QB and coaching defense. What he did this season was damn impressive. Nobody saw them as a playoff team coming in.

• Like 1