What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

16 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Just finished The Pacific. I think it was a notch below a BOB, but the one thing I think it did better was how it dealt with the PTSD between the characters.

I tried pacific once years ago after BoB for the first time and couldn’t get into it. There was so much inaccessible hubris between the marines. They just acted like murder machines that lacked empathy, whereas BoB felt more like school teachers and kids thrown into disaster. I might have to try it again 

22 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Just finished The Pacific. I think it was a notch below a BOB, but the one thing I think it did better was how it dealt with the PTSD between the characters.

Have you see Generation Kill?  David Simon’s (The Wire) miniseries about the Iraqi invasion and it’s outstanding.  

On 10/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Felt low budget to me compared to BoB. So many small camera shots or angles if that makes any sense.

1 hour ago, Sad People said:

Arent Spielberg and Hanks announcing a 3rd installment here soon? I thinks its suppose to be about the air force? Maybe something about the soliders flying in the flying fortresses.

Masters of the Air, no idea when it's actually coming though

• Like 1

Finished Better Call Saul 

Spoiler

The show did an outstanding job of making me arrive to the appreciate Saul Goodman party, long after everyone else. In such a fantastical world, these characters have so much life and believability to them. I can understand why some prefer this to BB. I don’t (at least for now, I’ll have to update my perceptions of BB if I rewatch).

I noticed some parallels to BB. One, that Jimmy McGill breaks bad. Of course, he started with somewhat innocuous (but undeniably scummy) pranks and eventually just hurts people and schemes. He loses himself in what he’s good at, which is on the other side of legal, even though he had every opportunity to do incredible things the right way. He ‘breaks bad’ his significant other until she sours on it and abandons him. Two close people to him (Charles and Howard) die because of him. He resorts to running away, but eventually weasels his way back into the spotlight (Walter to finish his story, Saul because he wanted to get caught). They both end up with a somewhat righteous redemption, which helps because their actions before that are despicable to the point you have to hate them. The Howard Hamlin death scene was disturbing. But yeah, this whole paragraph almost could’ve summarized a lot of either show. I’m glad I finally saw it through. I’m also glad Saul doesn’t have a happy ending but also doesn’t die in the end. Does seem kinda fitting that he’s in prison surrounded by the scum he protected for years and is now a hero amongst all of them.  

edit: the ehrmentraut scenes were all so good and shows off his criminal competence. He’s as good at what he does as anyone could be. Kim was great and I’d be more mournful about her route as she was a good lawyer if she hadn’t ended up being a lawyer again in the end. I think her negative role model (her alcoholic mom and lack of father) made her mould herself after Howard in her physical mannerisms and also after Jimmy, for whatever reason she would choose it. Howard was a strong character who was also great at what he did, but also showed genuine compassion for others and it’s a shame he got **** on so bad in the end, kinda like Hank did. I was happy when Charles McGill died, he was annoying with his puerile electricity phobia. It all just felt stale and his death set the tone for Jimmy’s fall from grace and brought the show into S tier. Lalo Salamanca is close to being MVP of the whole show. It’s clear to me his death ruined the Salamanca family, even if the family wasn’t aware of his true value. No one was going to ever pull a fast one on him or scheme against the family with him around. He was dangerous, which is hard to project in a show where you know everyone’s outcomes because of BB. Hector could’ve been that too if he was physically capable. Everyone else was overconfident or mindless guns. Beyond those characters, all the cameos were nice.

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 2