It’s time to admit the mistake

lavar703

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

we staring those bums on D because the bums behind them are even worse. Fact of the matter is this is a QB driven league, If he can land a QB this of season, a real QB, we will be just fine.

The truth of the matter is that if we get a good or great QB this off-season and our D is still 32nd in the league we’ll just be like the 2015-2017 Redskins where we had one of the best passing offenses in the NFL but our defense couldn’t stop a cold so we’ll be around .500.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well he’s not going to say “I’m benching Haskins bc I don’t think we can win the division with Kyle Allen.”

I mean what do you expect him to say?

As I said in another post, just bc Rivera said he felt we would win the division by benching Haskins and going to Kyle Allen doesn’t make it true.

It’s not even that……it goes back to the first press conference saying he’s not one for rebuilds.  This team needed a ground-up reconstruction in the worst way.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s not even that……it goes back to the first press conference saying he’s not one for rebuilds.  This team needed a ground-up reconstruction in the worst way.

Yeah, I realize what he said and I’m saying despite what he said we are essentially doing as close to a true rebuild as this franchise has had since 1994 when we drafted Heath Shuler but even then, we had more veterans on that team than I think we do on this team. 

Our entire front 7 starting D right now is under 26. That’s pretty young, and looks like a rebuild. On offense our starting QB is just a first year starter - even if he is 28 & our back up 25. Our OL isn’t young at LT, LG & RG but our other 2 starting OL are younger. We also have younger WRs & a young starting RB & back up RB.

I’d say we’re doing the rebuild as close as this franchise has come to doing a true rebuild ever even if Rivera doesn’t want to say that word.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He also said he really wanted to come to Washington because we already had a lot of young talented players on the roster. Hence why he didn’t tear it down. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He also said he really wanted to come to Washington because we already had a lot of young talented players on the roster. Hence why he didn’t tear it down. 

So why are there 16 guys left on the roster that he inherited?  And why did he go on a spending spree this past off-season?  

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So why are there 16 guys left on the roster that he inherited?  And why did he go on a spending spree this past off-season?  

Because some of the talent he thought he was inheriting like Haskins, Harmon, Steven Sims Jr, Sprinkle, SDH, JHC, Apke and Anderson didn’t develop like he thought they would. I would argue that JHC and/or SDH should still be on our roster but, oh well for some reason they didn’t like them as back ups… oh yeah that’s right! They got replaced with back ups Rivera brought in from Carolina! 

Gotta admit that I'm with Snider here:

https://www.audacy.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/once-more-wft-needs-an-overall-rebuild-from-ron-rivera

And I had forgotten about Casserly "discovering" Jacoby. One more check mark for Charlie!

The problem is too many people thinking alike. That's a good thing if successful and a backbreaker if wrong. The past offseason of repeated personnel failures from not finding a franchise quarterback to an underwhelming first-round linebacker showed the "one voice" policies of Schottenheimer and Shanahan are once more losing with Rivera.

The greatness of the team's triple Super Bowl era was the balance of power between general managers Bobby Beathard and Charley Casserly with Gibbs. While Gibbs had total say on the field, the GMs held power over the roster. Casserly once brought a rookie free agent to Gibbs saying he would be good. Gibbs didn't want the player, but Beathard had the power to bring him to camp. It was Joe Jacoby.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Because some of the talent he thought he was inheriting like Haskins, Harmon, Steven Sims Jr, Sprinkle, SDH, JHC, Apke and Anderson didn’t develop like he thought they would. I would argue that JHC and/or SDH should still be on our roster but, oh well for some reason they didn’t like them as back ups… oh yeah that’s right! They got replaced with back ups Rivera brought in from Carolina! 

And NFL luminaries such as Landon Collins, Jon Bostic, and even Apke remain on the roster.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, MikeT14 said:

If his sole purpose was to put this team on track to fix everything the Bruce Allen era did wrong within the organization, I can stomach it. Whether that is happening or not is debatable, but it also wasn't going to happen in 2 years. There was A LOT of damage done. 

I tell people when they are unhappy with their current work situation: "You can always switch gigs/contracts/jobs. Just realize that while you can escape the problems that are bothering you now, you'll be taking on different problems at your new place. The grass isn't greener on the other side; it's just a different shade of brown than what you are dealing with currently. The question you have to ask yourself is the 'devil' you know worse than the 'devil' you don't?"

No one can answer that question but the person who is going through it.

So, yeah, potentially cleaning up the toxicity of Allen's era would be a good thing. However, creating a new culture where "the coach's guys" are favored over more talented players is not a great end state either.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, Ghostnote said:

If the building of a team is gradual, it should also show improvement. At this point, the defense is 31st in the league and the team has 2 wins against bad teams. Would Fitzpatrick have been able to muster more wins? IDK. 

*looks at the defense* No.

Here ends another episode of "Simple Answers to Questions Asked." (SAQK)

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

I tell people when they are unhappy with their current work situation: "You can always switch gigs/contracts/jobs. Just realize that while you can escape the problems that are bothering you now, you'll be taking on different problems at your new place. The grass isn't greener on the other side; it's just a different shade of brown than what you are dealing with currently. The question you have to ask yourself is the 'devil' you know worse than the 'devil' you don't?"

No one can answer that question but the person who is going through it.

So, yeah, potentially cleaning up the toxicity of Allen's era would be a good thing. However, creating a new culture where "the coach's guys" are favored over more talented players is not a great end state either.

I look at this the other way.  I prefer Rivera in charge of everything over any meddling from Snyder. 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, MKnight82 said:

We're playing a significantly harder schedule than last year. 

I see this brought up regularly.

Keep in mind, 82% of the schedule was know years ago. The divisional rotations are publicized. Heck, if you want to see what is planned for 2022, check out: https://www.washingtonfootball.com/schedule/future-opponents. Only the now three strength of schedule games were unknown prior to the end of the season (and the Buffalo game wasn't known until they agreed to switch to a 17 game season; note that the link there doesn't mention a 17th game ... yet).

So, to say "oh, well they're playing harder teams" is to ignore that for the most part, Dallas, Giants, and Philadelphia play the same schedule. The Giants and Eagles have basically the same record. Dallas is cruising. Essentially, had Dak Prescott not gotten injured last year, the Cowboys would have likely won the division kind of like they are now.

Waffle just changed his mind from building for the future to win a divisional crown mid-season due to that one injury.

The team is effectively the same as they were last year from a player perspective, but they've regressed badly. Maybe it is due solely to having a hard up-front schedule, but I do not recall the gaping holes in the secondary or the lack of pass rush last year.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:43 PM, PARROTHEAD said:
On 10/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, Ghostnote said:

But all this stems from the top. Daniel Snyder. He has not set a good culture in 22 years and until he goes, this team will never be successful. 

Youre wrong. The team is very successful. When Snyder bought the team he spent in the neighborhood of 700 million.

Now.

The Washington Football Team is now valued at $4.2 billion, according to Forbes's latest NFL valuations.Aug 7, 2021

How much more success do you want?

I would ask if you happen to have all of the team values from 1999 so we can compare them to today's valuations. That way, we could know if it was some special magic that Snyder had or just a combination of inflation and the rising tide of he NFL.

On 10/18/2021 at 3:43 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Or do you still think wins and losses matter to owners?

Alas, this is accurate.

Relative to the other owners though, has Snyder been as successful as they? Is Snyder keeping up with the Jones's?