It’s time to admit the mistake

lavar703

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That’s fine. They could’ve rolled with Moreland and picked a corner in the draft which they did. Unless the stuff I read about him in the off-season was wrong this past season prior to free agency was his toughest. He hadn’t played all that well and it’s hard for me to say whether that’s true or not because I don’t watch the Bengals. Not to mention he’s older. Yes, I wanted to keep Darby and maybe it might’ve failed but he played well for us and I thought it would be smart to reward him for it. 

While I wanted to keep Darby & Moreland too, we have to realize that both have been injured to start the season so it’s likely that if we kept them they would have barely played for us the first month of the season anyway.

Darby hurt his hamstring week 1 & just came back from the injury yesterday and from what I could tell didn’t have a great game vs the Raiders.

Moreland has ZERO defensive stats for the Texans this year, he’s been on their special teams the last 3 games.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That’s fine. They could’ve rolled with Moreland and picked a corner in the draft which they did. Unless the stuff I read about him in the off-season was wrong this past season prior to free agency was his toughest. He hadn’t played all that well and it’s hard for me to say whether that’s true or not because I don’t watch the Bengals. Not to mention he’s older. Yes, I wanted to keep Darby and maybe it might’ve failed but he played well for us and I thought it would be smart to reward him for it. 

It's all hindsight unfortunately. Knowing what I know do I take Darby's 3 year 30 mil + Moreland over WJIII? Yeah, at this point, I do. Both probably aren't good. I don't think it was the right move at the time (the Darby part). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

If the building of a team is gradual, it should also show improvement. At this point, the defense is 31st in the league and the team has 2 wins against bad teams. Would Fitzpatrick have been able to muster more wins? IDK. 

What I do know is, if you have a first round draft pick that has a first round grade on him, he should be playing. PERIOD. Wasting time and energy to coach a player to the NFL game takes a lot more effort than to just put him on the field and let him go. There is no better learning curve than being on the field. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers. They rarely sign high price free agents and rely on smart drafting, good coaching, and players who are ready to play. THAT ladies and gentlemen, is a franchise to model after. Save money to keep your players that have panned out, draft players that smart, healthy, and meet criteria for their position. Its not rocket science, its football. Football. 

But all this stems from the top. Daniel Snyder. He has not set a good culture in 22 years and until he goes, this team will never be successful. 

Here is the problem……..this is what I wanted.  Hire a GM to rebuild the front office, who would also hire a coach and take it slow with rebuilding.  Build the team through the draft and not free agency.  

However, Rivera has said he wants to win.  He went all-in last year and won the division with a losing record.  He’s now doubled-down on that, signing a QB pushing 40 and splurging on multiple free agent signings.  

It’s why giving the coach GM powers rarely works.  Rivera can not decide on a direction because he’s being pulled too many ways.  The head coach in him wants to win.  The GM in him has to build a sound roster built for now and for the future.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, taylor made said:

JOK is out for the next few weeks with an injury. A lot can change quick. Maybe Jamin Davis can catch up to him, but I think the people calling him a DPOY candidate were setting their expectations too high. 

On top of that, I think JOK was getting hyped up off of playing well just off a few plays & bc the Browns were obviously playing him more so than he was really doing anything special on the field. 

There just was zero reason why Del Rio wouldn’t play Jamin more to start the season, but Jamin can’t do anything about that. It’s pretty clear that how he played yesterday was a better option than having a healthy Bostic out there for 100% of the snaps, even in week 1.

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Here is the problem……..this is what I wanted.  Hire a GM to rebuild the front office, who would also hire a coach and take it slow with rebuilding.  Build the team through the draft and not free agency.  

However, Rivera has said he wants to win.  He went all-in last year and won the division with a losing record.  He’s now doubled-down on that, signing a QB pushing 40 and splurging on multiple free agent signings.  

It’s why giving the coach GM powers rarely works.  Rivera can not decide on a direction because he’s being pulled too many ways.  The head coach in him wants to win.  The GM in him has to build a sound roster built for now and for the future.  

I would just say, as I said to Thai, a lot of what happened the 2nd half of last year was out of Rivera’s control. Going to Kyle Allen over Haskins seemed necessary at the time when you look at it in retrospect & Rivera made the right move there as he was losing the entire lockeroom by continuing to trot Haskins and his cavalier attitude toward his job out there week after week.

If Kyle Allen was our starter weeks 5-17, I don’t think we would’ve won the division and Rivera couldn’t do anything about Kyle’s injury and how that pushed Alex Smith back in as our starter which is the biggest reason why we finished the season 5-2.

If Kyle Allen had started the final 7 games of the season I feel we would’ve ended up 5-11 or 6-10 with the Eagles 10th or Giants 11th pick in the draft and hopefully if that had happed Rivera would’ve taken Justin Fields with our 1st round pick, and just eight that one selection I think this forum & WFT nation would be having an entire different feeling/discussion about Rivera & how he’s building the team for the future.

Again though, most of what happened and us going 7-9 to win the division was out of Rivera’s control even if he did say he was benching Haskins bc he felt we could win the division with Kyle Allen as our QB. Just bc Rivera felt that way after our week 4 loss to the Ravens doesn’t make that statement true.

2 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

A first round pick should be on the field at all times. if they are not, then you should not have had a first round grade on him. PERIOD. 

There are situations in which I think this is not true. With QBs, for example, I think it’s important for at least some of them to get some time watching and learning because their college experience has not even prepared to speak the NFL language, let alone play the NFL game.

Also, if you’re playing to win right now, you can’t sacrifice the team’s championship goals to shoehorn a rookie onto the field. You should absolutely be working to find opportunities to let him play — but flags fly forever and rookies always leave eventually. 

On this particular team, though, with this particular player? It’s mindboggling that he isn’t getting all the reps they can get him. I understand it’s probably frustrating for them to play a young guy in the center of the defense who is lost mentally at times — they’re trying to repair a defense that’s inexplicably broken on every level, and I’m sure it’s disheartening on the occasions that they have everyone else in position and the rookie MLB just gets fooled and blows an assignment (and the whole play as a result). 

But at this point, we’re more than 1/3 of the way through the season. You’re the worst defense in the league by points and second-worst by yards. You are what your track record says you are, and at this point, the track record says they suck. So what are they holding onto? It’s a “rebuilding” defense, play the kid and let him struggle now so that perhaps he can shine later. 

• Like 4

The weirdest thing about the Darby/WJ3 situation is that they went out and replaced a guy who played well in their system with a guy who has been at his best in press man. That’s been WJ3’s game, the book on him since he came into the league. That’s basically the one thing I knew about him when they signed him, press man corner (and that he ran really fast at the combine). 

And then I keep seeing them trying to use him in zone. Why would you do that? It’s like the reverse Josh Norman. It’s driving me nuts. Why throw a bunch of money at a press man corner if you’re going to then ask him to sit in zone all the time? I just assumed they were looking to ramp up the coverage on the outside and start smothering people. But it’s been just the opposite. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

But all this stems from the top. Daniel Snyder. He has not set a good culture in 22 years and until he goes, this team will never be successful. 

Youre wrong. The team is very successful. When Snyder bought the team he spent in the neighborhood of 700 million.

Now.

The Washington Football Team is now valued at $4.2 billion, according to Forbes's latest NFL valuations.Aug 7, 2021

How much more success do you want?

Or do you still think wins and losses matter to owners?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He went “all in” how? Cause he won some games? We didn’t make any major trades, use up our cap space on bad deals.  How were we all in?  We’re still in a very good position with all our draft picks and great cap flexibility.  We also have a pretty young roster.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He went “all in” how? Cause he won some games? We didn’t make any major trades, use up our cap space on bad deals.  How were we all in?  We’re still in a very good position with all our draft picks and great cap flexibility.  We also have a pretty young roster.

Sorry, I didn’t mean it in that sense.  I meant it as in the optics of trying to compete.  Everyone, from ownership to the media to us fans, judge the team based on the perception of results.  I think everyone was prepared to chalk up the first two years of Rivera’s tenure to rebuilding.  Well, he said from the beginning that he wanted to win, so in my mind, that started the clock. He doubled down by going for the division. That is what I mean when I say he went “all-in.”  Probably could have worded that better.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Youre wrong. The team is very successful. When Snyder bought the team he spent in the neighborhood of 700 million.

Now.

How much more success do you want?

Or do you still think wins and losses matter to owners?

Here's where we generally agree. I think the owners care about winning championships as they're bragging rights when they are all sitting around the room smoking cigars.

But when it comes to Snyder and pretty much every owner? Owning a team is a license to print money. And they are in a small club of 32 people. So the thing that REALLY matters to owners isn't necessarily winning 9 games vs 7 games. It's "how do I make sure I remain the owner and also maximize revenue". Some owners do that by getting the best organization together to win more games and put more butts in seats. Other owners take the Snyder approach.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

The weirdest thing about the Darby/WJ3 situation is that they went out and replaced a guy who played well in their system with a guy who has been at his best in press man. That’s been WJ3’s game, the book on him since he came into the league. That’s basically the one thing I knew about him when they signed him, press man corner (and that he ran really fast at the combine). 

And then I keep seeing them trying to use him in zone. Why would you do that? It’s like the reverse Josh Norman. It’s driving me nuts. Why throw a bunch of money at a press man corner if you’re going to then ask him to sit in zone all the time? I just assumed they were looking to ramp up the coverage on the outside and start smothering people. But it’s been just the opposite. 

Yep, I said that before on Twitter, what they did with WJ3 is what they did when they signed Norman. Norman was a zone corner that they forced to play man & he struggled at it, now they signed a press man corner and are asking him to play zone most of the game. It makes no sense! I also think Fuller is better in man also.

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean it in that sense.  I meant it as in the optics of trying to compete.  Everyone, from ownership to the media to us fans, judge the team based on the perception of results.  I think everyone was prepared to chalk up the first two years of Rivera’s tenure to rebuilding.  Well, he said from the beginning that he wanted to win, so in my mind, that started the clock. He doubled down by going for the division. That is what I mean when I say he went “all-in.”  Probably could have worded that better.  

Well he’s not going to say “I’m benching Haskins bc I don’t think we can win the division with Kyle Allen.”

I mean what do you expect him to say?

As I said in another post, just bc Rivera said he felt we would win the division by benching Haskins and going to Kyle Allen doesn’t make it true.

Edited by turtle28