It’s time to admit the mistake

lavar703

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

And?  Who cares? 

I think this is a gross exaggeration, and IMO Fuller is worse than him. 

I agree he isn't very good, but he was a band aid on a position I expect them to address this upcoming offseason.  As I stated before, you can't fix everything in an offseason. 

That's a coaching decision not a GM decision.

That's a coaching decision not a GM decision.

If you really want to demand a GM get fired over a Kicker then have at it. 

We drafted depth. They need time. 

Right, but we also added several new WRs which mitigated that. 

From all reports they are here to do the day to day admin stuff and don't have a lot of say over personnel. 

Ya and he's just a rookie.

I mean he's like the 4th option on offense, I don't really see that as bad. 

How can you even say that without seeing the next offseason?

The coach and the GM are one in the same. Or are we pretending Rivera isn’t in control? 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

This is a ridiculous statement. 

The Ryan Fitzpatrick signing doesn't matter, he never mattered. You completely glossed over the team retaining Taylor Heinicke on a very team friendly 2 year $4.75 mil deal, and he's been the best QB we've had since Kirk Cousins. We traded nothing for this guy, didn't spend a single draft pick and have found a decent starting QB.  That alone is worth its weigh in gold and you're not giving the credit due there. 

Charles Leno was signed for an extremely reasonable 1 year $5 mil deal. He's been adequate as a starter and an upgrade over what we had last year. 

We traded for LG Ereck Flowers by swapping late round picks, so pretty much nothing, and he's been a solid starter. 

The team extended starting Center Chase Roullier to a reasonable 4 year, $40.5 mil extension. 

Instead of giving RG Scherff a billion dollar extension, we franchise tagged him, which was the smart thing to do. 

We cut the declining Morgan Moses and replaced him with 2nd Round Pick Sam Cosmi, which by all reports has been an upgrade. 

WR Adam Humphries has been a low key nice addition as a slot WR, he has 15 receptions for 149 yards through 6 games. 

WR Dynami Brown seems to be a solid depth WR addition. 

TE Ricky Seales Jones seems to have not missed a beat when Logan Thomas got injured, he already has 12 receptions for 137 yards and a TD. 

Speaking of Logan Thomas, the team rewarded his hard effort with a 3 year, $24.065 mil extension this offseason.  Its good to show the locker room if they work hard the organization will pay them. 

On defense, we let Ryan Kerrigan leave, who has 1 recorded tackle and no sacks for the Eagles. 

The Dline didn't need any tweaking, just some back fill depth. We went with the draft young cheap guys approach.  Since the Dline has been struggling in hindsight it may have been better to bring in a vet who maybe could have dug them out of this hole. Or maybe that wouldn't have done anything either.  Hard to judge. 

Linebacker was the teams biggest need on defense and we spent a first round pick on one.  Not sure how you can complain about that.  Judging a rookie linebacker 6 games into his career is ridiculous. 

Swapping out the more expensive William Jackson from Darby hasn't been a homerun, until you remember that Darby is on IR. I would argue the bigger problem with the CBs has been the regression of Fuller. They seemed to want to fix our slot CB problem by playing Jackson and rookie St Juste outside and moving Fuller in the slot. He has played terribly there. St Juste has had his struggles but he's a 3rd round rookie. Honestly its the Jamin Davis argument, let the rookie take his lumps it should pay dividends down the road. Also there just seems to be something really wrong with the defensive scheme because the players look confused out there all the time, but that's a different discussion than GM moves. 

They probably should have addressed the FS position but you can't fix everything in an offseason.  They picked up McClain off waivers, and honestly he hasn't been that impressive. But we have nothing invested in this guy we can just move on. 

They inherited the awful Landon Collins contract and there's nothing they could have really done about that this offseason. 

Good counter argument.  It hasn't all been bad.  There has been some good.  But I think there is more bad than good and my biggest issue is that it takes a quarter of the season before you start recognizing the mistakes in how you are using players and adjusting.

I do agree that the Logan Thomas extension and I think he was contributing before getting nicked.  I even more agree with the Jon Allen extension and that has shown solid returns. 

But the other big moves you got to question.  I like the William Jackson acquisition.  But if you are the Coach and GM, why do you let Darby walk and bring in a man corner if you want to play zone?  Why does it take being chastised by fans and media for weeks to start implementing man.  Are you blind?

If you are rebuilding, why on earth do you throw 18 million dollars at an often injured guard who clearly doesn't want to be here long term?  Surprise, he got injured.

Samuels has been a disaster of a signing.  And why invest that much into a slot receiver when the draft is absolutely loaded with them and you can get guys like Humphries, Carter, etc on the cheap.

I give zero credit, in fact, I will give Rivera negative points for all 1 year deals.  This is the second year Rivera has done this.  You can't build a team like that.  McCain, Leno, RSJ, Humphries, Fitzpatrick, etc.

Jamin Davis is a disaster of a pick.  Not because I don't like him or see potential, but why do you make that pick and refuse to play him especially when you have crap in front of him.  The only reason you finally play him seems to be because you are forced to by injuries or the stupid scheming of a 1 linebacker scheme that is an embarrassment.  

I question the coaching staff.  These players seem to have forgotten all technique when it comes to tackling and covering.  Where is the fundamentals?  But you also look at the scheme and just scratch your head.  It is almost like these coaches are outsmarting their own players.

Either way, @lavar703's post is not unreasonable.  Rivera is not looking impressive on any front and he is going to have to show some real leadership to keep this team together.  He is also going to need to look in the mirror and recognize the coaching staff's role in this and that they have not been putting these guys in the best position to excel.

• Like 2

Just now, MKnight82 said:

That doesn't make any sense. 

No. Tagging a guard at $18M that you have no plans to sign long term makes no sense. I was fine with it because I didn’t think they’d go out and spend money and then they did. Especially when you consider the amount of times Scherff is injured. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

No. Tagging a guard at $18M that you have no plans to sign long term makes no sense. I was fine with it because I didn’t think they’d go out and spend money and then they did. Especially when you consider the amount of times Scherff is injured. 

If we didn't tag him we would of had a big hole at RG. 

My whole post was about GM decisions. You responded with answers about coaching decisions.  No its not the same conversation.

And I gave you GM decisions that I believe were poor. The issue is you can’t separate the two when the same guy is doing both jobs. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

And I gave you GM decisions that I believe were poor. The issue is you can’t separate the two when the same guy is doing both jobs. 

No my point is that Rivera the GM has actually been quite good.  It appears to me this year's issues have more to do with schemes and gameplanning than personnel decisions. 

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If we didn't tag him we would of had a big hole at RG. 

Perhaps, however they had to prepare for him to miss games considering he’s done so every season. I do wonder if the trade for Flowers had been made prior to Scherff being tagged if they would’ve let him walk? Scweitzer did play quite well in his absence. 

No my point is that Rivera the GM has actually been quite good.  It appears to me this year's issues have more to do with schemes and gameplanning than personnel decisions. 

Year one, you have no argument from me. He did pretty well. This season has pretty much been a disaster. I really don’t know how you can watch WJ3 and think he’s been better than Fuller? 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Year one, you have no argument from me. He did pretty well. This season has pretty much been a disaster. I really don’t know how you can watch WJ3 and think he’s been better than Fuller? 

Not really - should have resigned Darby , KPL and kept Mooreland. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's one move though.  You're never going to bat 1000.  Even your other criticisms, I pointed out that like 70%+ of decisions made this offseason were good ones.  That's good management. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Perhaps, however they had to prepare for him to miss games considering he’s done so every season. I do wonder if the trade for Flowers had been made prior to Scherff being tagged if they would’ve let him walk? Scweitzer did play quite well in his absence. 

And they had to consider he could have an amazing season too.  They made sure they had quality backups in case he got hurt and it was worth another season with him back to prove himself.  He hasn't, its time to move on.  Tagging him was the correct move.

That's one move though.  You're never going to bat 1000.  Even your other criticisms, I pointed out that like 70%+ of decisions made this offseason were good ones.  That's good management. 

How so? We cut Moreland for Roberts and McTyer.  Both players who couldn’t get on the field. We let KPL walk and kept Norris and signed Mayo. Both are terrible. WJ3, Samuel and Fitz have contributed basically nothing and that was a ton of cap space. So we have Leno, RSJ and Humphries who’ve all contributed more than our big pays but are on one-year deals. 

And the idea that Fitz not contributing doesn’t matter is absurd. That was whom they handpicked to be QB1. So to me it does matter. Him not contributing and being a part of our off-season is the most likely reason we don’t have a young QB on the roster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

No but I expected us to be competitive with Jameis Winston. 

Which, we were except for a handful of plays combined on both sides of the ball in the game. If Landon Collins doesn’t blow his deep coverage vs Harris, then that could’ve ended up being a FG drive for the Aints and not a TD. Then obviously if we just knock down the ball in the end-zone on their hail mary, that’s another TD they don’t score.

You take those 14 pts off the board & says it’s just 3 points or even just the 7 if they ended up scoring on the drive that Harris got a TD, then the score would’ve been: 26 -22 Saints.

Then, if Heinicke doesn’t throw an awful int in the red-zone, at worse the score is 26-25 Saints.

So, we were right there with them. We played better vs the Saints then we did vs the Chiefs which, for our offense is a head scratcher bc the Chiefs D is as bad as ours, I sure thought that Heinicke & company would put up near 30 on the Chiefs D. 

Heincke only putting up 182 yards passing on 24 completions vs the Chiefs D is very very disappointing.