Week 8 GDT Eagles @ Lions: Srianni's knee caps are in danger.

BugzBunny101

22 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Word. Like don't get me wrong I'm not gonna be pounding my chest about beating Detroit, but it was nice to see the things we've been asking for and have a relaxing/enjoyable game day. High picks are nice, but I'd rather play the right way and build something towards next year. We can always root for Indy and Miami to lose to get a better pick.

Yup. Winning games helps build a winning culture. Which might be the most important thing, possibly even more than personnel. Coaching was good in this game and showed they aren't tone deaf. Should be the biggest takeaway from today. 

1 minute ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yup. Winning games helps build a winning culture. Which might be the most important thing, possibly even more than personnel. Coaching was good in this game and showed they aren't tone deaf. Should be the biggest takeaway from today. 

Agreed. Fletcher Cox going rogue in that press conference and him having a sit down with Gannon and discussing what Fletch wants to see done differently might be a turning point. We'll see if those adjustments continue into next week against a much much better team in the Chargers. 

36 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Agreed. Fletcher Cox going rogue in that press conference and him having a sit down with Gannon and discussing what Fletch wants to see done differently might be a turning point. We'll see if those adjustments continue into next week against a much much better team in the Chargers. 

Yes we need to see a consistent effort to remain adaptable from the coaching staff as a whole. Today was a good step. 

12 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Do you think DeVonta Smith is disappointing or is it the fact that he doesn't have a good qb throwing to him... Jamar Chase is just going off this season and smith hasn't had really a break out game nor has he had a TD since week one 

Nah. He's a good WR that would have a lot more yards with a better QB/passing game. He's getting open most of the time. If DeVonta was in Cincy he wouldn't be putting up Chase numbers but they would be better than what he has with us for sure. Same if he was in Minnesota like Jefferson with Cousins who is a borderline top 10 guy.

Edit: Like these are Hurts passing yards in the games since KC when DeVonta had his most yardage of 122 yards on 7 receptions: 198 yards (Carolina), 115 yards (Tampa), 236 yards (Vegas), 103 yards (Detroit). Not sure how much production you can expect him to put up when that's happening. Like Goedert should have 100 yard games, but his most yardage in a game this year is 72 yards today and 70 yards last game.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

Do you think DeVonta Smith is disappointing or is it the fact that he doesn't have a good qb throwing to him... Jamar Chase is just going off this season and smith hasn't had really a break out game nor has he had a TD since week one 

Heavy run games like today won't make any receivers look good. Personally, I think he's a good receiver but is being held back by Hurts whether it be physically or cognitively. Frankly, I think all pass catchers are being held back by Hurts.

3 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Heavy run games like today won't make any receivers look good. Personally, I think he's a good receiver but is being held back by Hurts whether it be physically or cognitively. Frankly, I think all pass catchers are being held back by Hurts.

Don't think Sirianni's scheme is helping anyone neither. His obsession with WR screens is absurd. You would think He'd try to utilize the speed on offense with more then just that 1 concept?

He hasn't shown that yet IMO. Seems like Hurts thrives in the tempo/hurry up offense but rarely gets a chance to do that. Good coaches adapt to their players instead of trying to have players adapt to their scheme.

Round peg- square hole mentality 

I think today was an inditement of how this coaching staff feels about Hurts.

They don't want to let him throw it more than they really have to, they just feel like that any time they're trailing that running the ball kills to much clock or something to that effect.

52 minutes ago, Danger said:

They don't want to let him throw it more than they really have to, they just feel like that any time they're trailing that running the ball kills to much clock or something to that effect.

Didn't get that impression at all. I think Sirianni's tired of hearing everyone screaming from rooftops to Run the ball, players starting to voice there opinions towards the scheme/losing so Nick/Gannon finally caved.

Bet both had no idea we'd run with that much success or create that much pressure! That game plan right there was Dak/Zeke/Cowboys circa 2016.

Let's hope they use it going forward and don't do a complete 180° next week vs LAC. Which I believe Nick will revert back to unfortunately. 

49 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:
1 hour ago, Danger said:

Didn't get that impression at all. I think Sirianni's tired of hearing everyone screaming from rooftops to Run the ball, players starting to voice there opinions towards the scheme/losing so Nick/Gannon finally caved.

You're both right imo. I think it's some of not trusting him and also the noise from the outside about running it.

These are the RB carries from week to week in order: 

24 (Falcons) - 19 - 3 - 10 - 13 - 9 - 18 - 37 (Lions)

Oddly enough Hurts played really well in those two games where we ran it a lot with our backs. I don't know why. Maybe cause he wasn't throwing it almost every down and the defense knew what was coming and wasn't respecting the run and when we did run it a lot and successfully it made teams play more guys in the box and resulted in more open throws. It also helps the Lions and Falcons secondaries are also really bad, but I digress.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Let's hope they use it going forward and don't do a complete 180° next week vs LAC. Which I believe Nick will revert back to unfortunately. 

Let's not. Expectations breed disappointment. 

Wait until the coaching staff shows its not a one off. 

But, yeah I don't give a crap if we lose to the Chargers if the process is good like it was this week. 

Does anyone have Hurts passing game chart for this game?

I feel it was pretty bad again. 

11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Bet both had no idea we'd run with that much success or create that much pressure! That game plan right there was Dak/Zeke/Cowboys circa 2016.

That what's the should have been doing from the beginning but they haven't been doing because Howie/Lurie don't want him to.

Nothing in Sirianni's resume tells us he is pass crazy. But it is pretty evident that this season is all about Hurts and seeing what he has right now, so instead of grooming him to grow inside the role and for future seasons, they are giving him all they can to see if he swims or sinks, so they can look somewhere else sooner rather than later. 

You believe Howie and Lurie are forcing Sirianni to call 50 passes a game and abandoning the run in order to see what they got in Hurts at the expense of losing NFL games?🙈

If anything, both might of actually interviened this past week vs Detroit to do the opposite? Sirianni is acting exactly like Doug when he got hired. Pederson wanted to prove how smart and innovative he was as a play caller (not just Andy's clipboard holder in KC) and Sirianni is doing the same in regards to Frank Reich in Indy.

Problem was for both, they believed to do so, it must be by passing the ball not running. Showing off Wentz's ability in "My scheme/offense" for Doug and now Hurts as a passer/QB for Nick. This applies to Gannon as the DC as well IMO.

The Eagles were so horrific last season under Schwartz giving up chunk play/TD after TD"s he too thought creating a Defensive that is the complete opposite (actually one of the best in the NFL limiting those same chunk plays now) would work. Gannon just didn't realize his philosophy might end up making his defense even worse playing that bend don't break. Refusing to blitz, playing zone, only rushing 4, ect.

I think both realize now unfortunately after 5 losses and almost losing the locker room that they needed to adapt said philosophy to fit their personnel.  Blitz/play more man to man or at least mix it up more on Defense. On offense run the ball, utilize Hurts legs which will in turn open up the play action and passing lanes. Have Jalen "manage games" instead of putting the weight of the entire offense on him. All the while eating up the clock, time of possession and keeping said defense off the field.

Guess we'll see vs the Chargers what's been learned or not? They sure as hell aren't the Lions.

Edited by Nabbs4u