3 Ups, 3 Downs, 3 WTH's Week 8

Bucketheadsdad

2 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

They need to ship OBJ and his buddy Landry off. Neither will be here next year and they both talk big and can't back it up

I'm not sure wtf is going on offensively, but those 2 are supposed to be the catalysts yet all they do is fail time and time again

Criticizing Juice will make some arses ache with this fanbase, but the truth of the matter is these aren’t his first big drops.  His drop rate is higher than OBJ’s iirc.

I love his fiery nature, but he’s really not much more than a slot guy who has zero top end speed.  He can make guys miss and is more quick than anything, and there’s a role for a guy like that, but it’s not a 15 million dollar a year role.

• Like 2

Tony Romo's mind was blown that we refused to throw down the field. Evidently it's because our WRs stink. Hooper stinks. Our DL was getting pancaked. The list goes on.

That game felt like rock bottom for us. Not because it was the Steelers but because the poor offensive output trend keeps lurking around

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

I don't understand why we don't go press man and send 5-6 guys after the QB on 3rd/4th and long.  Even if it fails, the terrible soft zone coverage has been failing all season.

And if it fails, you’ll have forced them to do what they’re not really good at and, at least with our talent at corner, made them beat you at something you do well.

Roethlisberger can play pitch at catch for 5-7 yards all day.  He’s not gonna miss.  Make him throw it down the field.

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

It's the kind of game you expect our defense to go out and actually win, not just hang on for dear life and wait for the offense to get it going.  They should bury the Steelers on that side of the ball.

Yes. The points allowed fine, but they averaged 5.4 ypp, rushed for over 100, and won TOP. With the money and picks we have spent on defense they need to be winning us some games.  

3 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

Tony Romo's mind was blown that we refused to throw down the field. Evidently it's because our WRs stink. Hooper stinks. Our DL was getting pancaked. The list goes on.

That game felt like rock bottom for us. Not because it was the Steelers but because the poor offensive output trend keeps lurking around

It felt like “the same old Browns”.

Jarvis got his love and support from this fanbase by giving it his all, making clutch catches and bringing energy

He's truly been a shell of his former self. All that love and support can go away quickly when you have a playoff calibur roster and the guys who are supposed to elevate the offense can't catch or hold on to the ball

I think Jarvis is worried about injury, which I understand, but if your QB wears a brace to keep his shoulder in place and still plays fearless, I'd say it's time to sack up

Edited by TeHDruiD
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

Jarvis got his love and support from this fanbase by giving it his all, making clutch catches and bringing energy

Absolutely.

He's truly been a shell of his former self.

He’s always been quick and always been on the border of too slow, at least to be explosive anyway. Now he’s a older, lots of wear and tear on his body, old injuries, current injuries, etc. and he’s honestly just not fast enough and the quickness has faded a touch as well.  Still capable, but by no means does he scare defenses.  He’s a slot possession receiver.

All that love and support can go away quickly when you have a playoff calibur roster and the guys who are supposed to elevate the offense can't catch or hold on to the ball

I think Jarvis is worried about injury, which I understand, but if your QB wears a brace to keep his shoulder in place and still plays fearless, I'd say it's time to sack up

I’m just warning you, mike’s gonna come in here, call you terri, cite Landry’s catches with the Dolphins, reference Chris Carter and point out Andrew Berry’s 5 drafts as a 2nd year GM and be 100% certain he boomed on you. May do it to me too.

And everyone, myself included, is going to gas him up by liking his post and posting some sorta “you got rekt” gif.

• Like 3

In putting together my Offseason (which I will unveil during our Bye Week).....Landry, Janovich, Billings, Harrison and OBJ, will free up roughly 36.75M in salary.......and I go hard with deeper cuts/let walks (Clowney and Kennum) that's another 16.6M in salary. Make those moves and we all of a sudden have 53.1 M in new salary cap space + the 19 (approx) were rolling over this year + a nice bump in the salary cap space (I've heard 14% over what it was this year)....that is enough to resign Njoku, extend Ward (he stays hurt and we wont give him top dollar, but he deserves to be a top 10 paid CB), extend Teller, extend Mayfield, and POSSIBLY look at Conklin extension (and Keep the Union Together)....and still have the cash to purse a top end Free Agent......with 8-9 picks so far before compensatory (am a little confused if we have 2 7th's or 1 7th, plus the additional 4th....and that additional 4th is the Lions pick, which may be the First of day 3).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m just warning you, mike’s gonna come in here, call you terri, cite Landry’s catches with the Dolphins, reference Chris Carter and point out Andrew Berry’s 5 drafts as a 2nd year GM and be 100% certain he boomed on you. May do it to me too.

And everyone, myself included, is going to gas him up by liking his post and posting some sorta “you got rekt” gif.

america burn GIF

• Like 4

I've tried to defend these guys because I know what they're capable of but it's to the point I can't do it anymore. The same things can happen only so many times before it's time concede that we have 0 weapons at wide receiver

What we do have is DPJ and Schwartz. If these stars can no longer compete then it's time to see what you have behind them so you can properly assess where you're at come the offseason

30 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

I've tried to defend these guys because I know what they're capable of but it's to the point I can't do it anymore. The same things can happen only so many times before it's time concede that we have 0 weapons at wide receiver

Yeah they’ve lived off their name recognition for a while here.

What we do have is DPJ and Schwartz. If these stars can no longer compete then it's time to see what you have behind them so you can properly assess where you're at come the offseason

DPJ absolutely.  Let’s see what he can do with more targets.  Schwartz?  Oof, idk.  That kid doesn’t look remotely ready to contribute at all.  I’d rather see Felton actually run some routes other than screens and other crap out of the backfield.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’d kick the tires on Allen Robinson in free agency and then draft the BPA WR in Round 1 and go big at that spot with those two and DPJ, and I MAY CONSIDER bringing back Jarvis as a pure slot.

I’d love an OBJ for ARob trade right now.

Maybe both guys flourish with new situations, both guys are due similar money and neither is currently doing ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I’d kick the tires on Allen Robinson in free agency and then draft the BPA WR in Round 1 and go big at that spot with those two and DPJ, and I MAY CONSIDER bringing back Jarvis as a pure slot.

I’d honestly like to look at someone like courtland Sutton instead , or Michael Gallup

Edited by Dawgpoun8017

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

DPJ absolutely.  Let’s see what he can do with more targets.  Schwartz?  Oof, idk.  That kid doesn’t look remotely ready to contribute at all.  I’d rather see Felton actually run some routes other than screens and other crap out of the backfield.

Yeah, Felton would scare teams playing the slot. You have to account for him because unlike our receivers he can actually house it. Same for Schwartz I suppose he just doesn't seem game ready and Felton does.

Use your weapon. I'd probably try to target getting the ball in his hands 8-10 times per game on offense, mostly as a pass catcher. Try that wheel route again out of the backfield and if a LB is covering maybe Baker doesn't miss this time and that's 6. Then you probably have a CB attached to him or zone so that opens up something somewhere, even if it's just Higgins sitting in a zone, we'll take it.

I'm okay with OBJ but certainly not at his price tag. I would hold on to Landry even at his current price tag because he is versatile and an emotional leader. He obviously isn't a #1 but he never really was. 

Higgins is useful at his price. Schwartz is wait and see. DPJ is a very capable #2. OBJ has to go because of money/production per dollar. Landry can stay and share the slot with Felton and depth/injury starter.

We need a #1.

Hooper isn't much better than average and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt from what he did prior to getting here. We either pay him 13.25 to be here next year or 11.25 to get rid of him and get him off the books in the future. Tough call and neither option seems like a winning option.

Bryant definitely is quicker than Hooper but we need to see more out of him.

Njoku probably isn't staying around, I expect him to sign elsewhere and probably be a bit more productive than he has been here but not significantly.

Overall, we don't have a really dependable receiver. Landry/Hunt/Higgins are probably at the top but Landry and Hunt have their fair share of drops and Higgins isn't a great option to get open quickly enough as a possession receiver. We need a possession receiver probably more than a deep threat. A guy you know will quickly get open for a 7 yard catch when you need it. Maybe DPJ can be that guy, too early to tell but he hasn't been in that role yet.

• Like 1

I think we need to get more snaps to Bryant and Njoku and let Hooper be the number 3. 
Bryant hasnt failed us the way Hooper has, let him play. He is also a big play threat with multiple 20Yard plus catches. 

its time to move on from OBJ for DPJ, let OBJ be the number 3 WR

Get Felton in.