3 Ups, 3 Downs, 3 WTH's Week 8

Bucketheadsdad

So, what are your ups for this week?  Your downs?  Your WTH?!? (actual consonants may vary).

1 Up - Grit. Baker played with grit.  

1 Down - Grit without results don't mean squat.

2 Up - Garrett had a decent day rushing the QB, despite damn near every snap a potential episode on Law and Order SVU.

2 Down - Drops and more drops.

3 Up - The Bengals lost, so we didn't really lose ground in the division leader.

3 Down - This offensive line, before and after losing Conklin didn't really live up to it's reputation.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

1 WTH - When in hell will the NFL finally start calling the holding penalties that should be called?

2 WTH - The Scottish Hammer forgot how to hammer.

3 WTH - This game was so reminiscent of games over the last 20 years when we were making progress (OK, that's what I'm going to tell myself anyways) towards respectability.  Except we are a team that people have said were a playoff caliber team this year. 

Ups

1. Myles continues to save Joe Woods’ job.

2. Baker is a tough SOB

Downs

1. The receivers.  Take the 45 million they’re paying OBJ, Landry, Higgins and Hooper and pay the fans that have to watch this ish show.

2. The OLine.  For all the picks and money spent, they had their ***** handed to them tbh. 

3. Coaching. Both sides of the ball are playing vanilla and/or scared. Take some shots, blitz, attack.  Do something ffs.

Other than Myles and Jadeveon occasionally, the defense flat out sucks.

We need a overhaul of the offense. We need WRs. We have 1 that I like the potential of (DPJ) and another I’d like to use more (Schwartz). OBJ + Jarvis + Rashard can all go. Austin Hooper can go after June 1st.

I love Nick Chubb, but he’s useless as a receiving threat. You almost can’t have him on the field late in the game. That’s his biggest weakness.

Ups: when Stef wanted to use him Chubb looked pretty good

Baker with shoulder and all looked good. Just sucks that he has to play literally perfect because he can’t rely on the WRs/TEs to make a play for him or the refs to make a correct call.

Mclaughin looks pretty good. 

Garrett is Garrett. Makes some plays and should get more holding calls called

Downs: god Damn our schemes are so freaking vanilla on both sides of the ball.

WRs are a slew of adjectives and none of them are positives. So many negative ways to describe that unit right now. 

Offensive coaching was Blah. We know baker is a boss out of play action sets sprint outs and roll out but it felt like we barely did that. Seems like a Butt load of 5wide crap. 

Up chubb playing hurt

Down playing a cb that was on practice squad against Pittsburgh

Delpit excellent game

Down the official not calling Pittsburgh for the hit on Mayfield when he was out bounds.

Good we are 1 game out of the playoffs

And we were playing without 3 all stars.

Njoku should have owned these guys

Edited by mtmmike
Left out

UP: can't really blame the refs this week.  Steelers gave us every opportunity to win and we couldn't get it done.  Yes, there should have been about 8 holding calls, but tbh, a normal crew would have flagged us for 3-4 pass interferences, so I'll call it a push.

DOWN: Landry.  I love the guy, but this was the worst week of his NFL career (probably).

52 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Ups: when Stef wanted to use him Chubb looked pretty good

Baker with shoulder and all looked good. Just sucks that he has to play literally perfect because he can’t rely on the WRs/TEs to make a play for him or the refs to make a correct call.

Mclaughin looks pretty good. 

Garrett is Garrett. Makes some plays and should get more holding calls called

Downs: god Damn our schemes are so freaking vanilla on both sides of the ball.

WRs are a slew of adjectives and none of them are positives. So many negative ways to describe that unit right now. 

Offensive coaching was Blah. We know baker is a boss out of play action sets sprint outs and roll out but it felt like we barely did that. Seems like a Butt load of 5wide crap. 

Eh, outside a couple of runs Chubb didn't do much. Definitely not entirely his fault because our OL had a disappointing day in the run game. Chubb was often getting swarmed seemingly as soon as he touched the ball.

😎 Newsome had a solid day

🤕 Baker was ok even though clearly not 100% got let down by his weapons today

🥲 Jarvis is my favorite player but that's gotta be the worst game of his career

😬 We stopped running the ball too early but Pittsburgh was winning the battle up front, not a great day for the OL

🤬 We lost to Ben again, **** that grey dicked meathead

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, clevenowin said:

😎 Newsome had a solid day

🤕 Baker was ok even though clearly not 100% got let down by his weapons today

🥲 Jarvis is my favorite player but that's gotta be the worst game of his career

😬 We stopped running the ball too early but Pittsburgh was winning the battle up front, not a great day for the OL

🤬 We lost to Ben again, **** that grey dicked meathead

Post more, buddy.

And definitely agreed about Newsome. Dude made some good plays. Second best defensive player today after Garrett.

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Coaches got out coached in our house 

eh, I didn’t see that yesterday.  I think they run some vanilla stuff, but yesterday’s issues weren’t schematic imo.

For all the hate on Woods, we allowed 15 points.  If you allow 15 points, you should win that game.  The defense played well enough to win.

Offensively there’s more blame to go around, but holy hell at some point these players need to do something. The drop by Hooper was a nice play design.  It was an easy score.  Additional, how many more points do we score if guys hold on to the ball or simply catch the damned thing? There’s no offensive scheme that can overcome a lack of execution. There was a play where I believe Baker was sacked (hit at least) where Watt beat Hance to the inside when he had help coming in the form of a chip/double on the outside. HOW TF DOES THAT HAPPEN?!? When you double someone and they still make a play, that’s not a scheme thing. Higgins jumping offsides? That should never happen at that position.

• Like 1