3 Ups, 3 Downs, 3 WTH's Week 8

Bucketheadsdad

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

Offense was definitely the bigger issue yesterday, but the defense has still played well below their talent level and that's on Woods. We've benefited from playing against some crap offenses (Chicago, Denver, and Pittsburgh). The Minnesota game was the only game where I felt we did a really good job on defense. Chicago to a lesser extent, as they just had a horrible offensive game plan.

Woods' game plan every week is hope Garrett causes the QB problems and that's about it. No exotic looks, constantly playing your CBs with huge cushions despite them excelling in press coverage, having a great box safety in JJ3 playing deep centerfield way too often, etc. I mean, how often did we concede underneath throws yesterday despite Ben not being a legit threat to throw it deep?

Most of the time our defense has been solid to good is because our defensive talent just severely outmatched the opposing offense's talent and not because we had a great defensive scheme or game plan. Just imagine how good this defense could be if we had a good to great DC.

If we are going to blame the Chargers loss on the defense for giving up 47 points, we have to blame the offense for only scoring 10 point, on their home field, in a season defining game.

The defense wasnt Chicago Bears level of dominant yesterday, but if you only give up 15 points to another team--you expect your offense to be able to score 17+.

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s what irked the hell out of me at the end of the game.  Like, just score a TD on one of those drives, go up by 2 and it’s essentially a TD deficit as they can’t kick a FG.

Hell if Juice hadn’t fumbled we could have potentially won the game by kicking a pair of FGs.

It's hard to fathom much easier wins than that.  I know their defense is stout but you're playing a team with no kicker and no ability to throw downfield....and the QB is a statue.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

If we are going to blame the Chargers loss on the defense for giving up 47 points, we have to blame the offense for only scoring 10 point, on their home field, in a season defining game.

The defense wasnt Chicago Bears level of dominant yesterday, but if you only give up 15 points to another team--you expect your offense to be able to score 17+.

They only gave up 15 points because Pittsburgh did that disastrous fake field goal.  They would have given up at least 20 between that field goal and two extra points, it might have been more but I'd have to watch the game again.  Pittsburgh's offense is terrible and we were getting manhandled up and down the field and had no takeaways. 

Both sides of the ball were terrible yesterday.

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We also suck at forcing turnovers. We’re 31st in the NFL.

We need playmakers. We’re really strong in the trenches, but you need guys who can make a play in a ugly game.

Hard to get a turnover when your DBs are 10 yards off a WR on 3rd and short. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The defense played well enough to win for sure, but the numbers are a little misleading.

14 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

They only gave up 15 points because Pittsburgh did that disastrous fake field goal.  They would have given up at least 20 between that field goal and two extra points, it might have been more but I'd have to watch the game again.  Pittsburgh's offense is terrible and we were getting manhandled up and down the field and had no takeaways. 

Both sides of the ball were terrible yesterday.

Yep.  Should have taken the 3 there.  Would have had 2 more from the extra point attempts. Hell Pittsburgh even converted a 2 pt conversion and we got lucky with a penalty.

I also think if they had a kicker they wouldn’t have went to the half.  They had 2 timeouts and 40 seconds or so iirc.  Could have possibly been more there.

I’m not saying the defense didn’t do enough to win, they did, but the 15 points allowed is somewhat deceiving.

• Like 1

Up's

1. Special Teams, they were on it this week, great coverage, solid returns and stopped a fake FG.

2. Baker Mayfield, playing hurt and still putting it on the line. I am not proceeding to the level of when I see Baker Bashing, I will just ignore the rest of the post. Chubb Playing hurt and putting it on the line.

3. Up Players: The CB's Williams and Newsome played VERY well today.....I think we might really have something with these two, especially Newsome. Myles Garrett might be the best rounded front 7 player in the NFL...PERIOD, run, pass, Inside, Edge, standing up, dont matter. The TE's showed up again today....baker wouldnt have had any yards if not for them, besides that one drop from Hooper (possible TD), they blocked well (our interior got stuffed today, but chubb and Johnson made yards on the edges).

Down's

1. The Receiving Corps, huge drops on 3rd and 4th down, a drop on a sure TD, a crucial fumble and penalties at crucial times.

2. Our 4th Down defense is the Worst I have ever seen in my life.

3. Down Players: Andrew Billings, last week he got man handled on that Blocked FG, today when he was in there is when the Pitts Running game made most of its damage, I was SO HIGH on him coming back this year, I am almost in tears. Ronnie Harrison, I know he has some skills and means well, but to sum up his day in 3 plays, ANOTHER dumb 15 yard penalty on that late hit out of bounds, 2 that long conversion on 2nd and 25 when steelers wr was running WIDE OPEN in the middle of the field, Harrison was supposed to be there, and that TD by the steelers rookie TE on 4th down....true he was in GREAT position, but Great Coverage must successful in breaking up that 4th down pass. Landry, has done so MANY GOOD things, I am not going to get on him for one bad game, it was a bad game. OBJ, I love the fact the he is toughing it out, but he played like he was out there trying not to get hurt again....one cannot be effective if they are playing not to get hurt.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Offensively there’s more blame to go around, but holy hell at some point these players need to do something. The drop by Hooper was a nice play design.  It was an easy score.  Additional, how many more points do we score if guys hold on to the ball or simply catch the damned thing? There’s no offensive scheme that can overcome a lack of execution. There was a play where I believe Baker was sacked (hit at least) where Watt beat Hance to the inside when he had help coming in the form of a chip/double on the outside. HOW TF DOES THAT HAPPEN?!? When you double someone and they still make a play, that’s not a scheme thing. Higgins jumping offsides? That should never happen at that position.

When I saw that replay, that was the first time I started getting "THAT" feeling in the pit of my Stomach.....we as Browns Fans ALWAYS know "THAT" feeling.....like when we score a TD to go up by 21...and we miss the extra point on only go up by 20.......and you go "Uh Oh, I hope that dosent cost us"......I was literally standing on my coffee table screaming at the TV "HANCE?!?!?! you KNOW You have help on the outside with the back....if ANYTHING overplay his inside move and force him to your help".....

FORGIVE HIM Father Callahan and accept thy humble servant back into thy good graces

giphy.gif

• Like 3

They need to ship OBJ and his buddy Landry off. Neither will be here next year and they both talk big and can't back it up

I'm not sure wtf is going on offensively, but those 2 are supposed to be the catalysts yet all they do is fail time and time again

Edited by TeHDruiD

Good offenses go to their best players with the game on the line(see Amari Cooper last night). Not only are these 2 incapable of taking over a game, they're incapable of doing anything.

OBJ with 1 reception shows how much Baker trusts him. I'm pretty sure it's clear we bought a lemon

It's going to continue to be hard to run the ball so long as we keep dropping passes, getting stupid penalties and/or fail to stretch the field. No one is scared of this pass offense. Until they figure it out we'll continue to run the ball into 8 defenders and hope Myles breaks the game defensively 

Edited by TeHDruiD

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The defense played well enough to win for sure, but the numbers are a little misleading.

Yep.  Should have taken the 3 there.  Would have had 2 more from the extra point attempts. Hell Pittsburgh even converted a 2 pt conversion and we got lucky with a penalty.

I also think if they had a kicker they wouldn’t have went to the half.  They had 2 timeouts and 40 seconds or so iirc.  Could have possibly been more there.

I’m not saying the defense didn’t do enough to win, they did, but the 15 points allowed is somewhat deceiving.

I don't understand why we don't go press man and send 5-6 guys after the QB on 3rd/4th and long.  Even if it fails, the terrible soft zone coverage has been failing all season.

It's the kind of game you expect our defense to go out and actually win, not just hang on for dear life and wait for the offense to get it going.  They should bury the Steelers on that side of the ball.  Our offense should be starting with great field position all day.  We got manhandled by one of the worst lines in football.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1