Titans Sign RB Adrian Peterson to Practice Squad

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I will say, if this signing works out and Peterson looks good, I'm going to heavily question the Ravens' FO for signing not one, not two, but THREE completely washed RB's ahead of him and then doubling down and staying with those players after it's clearly failed now for like 5 weeks.

If I'm Baltimore ownership I clean house in the offseason. This is the final straw if you ask me.

• Like 5

AP certainly will help in the 2-down run game.  The issue of course is when AP is on the field, he's either running it, or pretty much a complete decoy.  Now, with the Titans run scheme, that may not be as much of an issue - but it's why he couldn't last in ARI, NO & WFT.   Still, unless the Titans can find someone like MG3 at the trade deadline, it's hard to argue this.

Keep him as a pure runner, and let McNichols get the COP & pass work, and this is decent.   Just keep them in the same roles.    Bad things happen you ask AP to switch roles, or switch anything, for that matter. 

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

AP certainly will help in the 2-down run game.  The issue of course is when AP is on the field, he's either running it, or pretty much a complete decoy.  Now, with the Titans run scheme, that may not be as much of an issue - but it's why he couldn't last in ARI, NO & WFT.   Still, unless the Titans can find someone like MG3 at the trade deadline, it's hard to argue this.

Keep him as a pure runner, and let McNichols get the COP & pass work, and this is decent.   Just keep them in the same roles.    Bad things happen you ask AP to switch roles, or switch anything, for that matter. 

That's literally how they use Derrick Henry.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's literally how they use Derrick Henry.

Actually not true this year - Henry's seen 20 targets this season, with only 2 games with zero targets - the JAX blowout (wasn't needed) and last week (when he started limping early in the game).   It's not massive work, but it's no longer zero-pass work like in prior years.    It's one of the reasons why Henry was beasting in fantasy - free extra points on top of his stellar running totals.  

Either way, though - AP can't do it any more.   He's a good fit with TEN's run scheme.   Will be interesting to see if TEN stands pat or not today.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Actually not true this year - Henry's seen 20 targets this season, with only 2 games with zero targets - the JAX blowout (wasn't needed) and last week (when he started limping early in the game).   It's not massive work, but it's no longer zero-pass work like in prior years.    It's one of the reasons why Henry was beasting in fantasy - free extra points on top of his stellar running totals.  

Either way, though - AP can't do it any more.   He's a good fit with TEN's run scheme.   Will be interesting to see if TEN stands pat or not today.

I'd love to see how those 20 targets have happened because from what I've seen of them, Henry is primarily there when they're in under-center formations and if he's getting targets it's a product of PA screens or something along those lines because what I've seen, when they go shotgun he's not in there.

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd love to see how those 20 targets have happened because from what I've seen of them, Henry is primarily there when they're in under-center formations and if he's getting targets it's a product of PA screens or something along those lines because what I've seen, when they go shotgun he's not in there.

Henry's used it going to flats about 1/3 of time, looking like he's blocking on PA, but then going into the short zone past LOS in the middle of the field another 1/3 of time, and then screens 1/3 of the time.  And other than 3rd and short, yes, he's been doing it on 1st/2nd down (I think he played maybe 1/4 of 3rd downs, mostly 3rd and 5 or less).  He also had 3-4 other catches called back because of penalties this year (I know this because I lost the O2.5 catch prop on him when he had 2 called back on MNF vs. BUF, one incorrectly - D holding call should have let the play stand - yes, it still stings a bit lol).   With Julio out, his usage went up this year, but it seems like the Titans realized there were other ways to get him the ball.   

Henry was on a truly historic pace - 40+ catches in a 17 game season, for 350+ yards, to go with 2000+ yard rushing pace.   2500+ total yards wasn't out of the Q pre-injury.   But the AP-related point - you couldn't just leave Henry alone unaccounted for this year.    

Edited by Broncofan

There has been an unusually strong, positive correlation between Derrick Henry and Ryan Tannehill's performance efficiencies, game-by-game, and so Henry's injury very likely doesn't bode well for Tannehill's ability to pick up the slack in his absence.  The performance of the typical QB in the NFL is independent of that of his run game (i.e., a near-zero correlation between them) -- not so for Tannehill and Henry.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:25 AM, Broncofan said:

They were the Redskins with Adrian Peterson on their roster.