Week 9 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

I don’t know either way, just asking. But if you do the same and break down film on Brady or Kyler Murray or Patrick Mahomes or some of the other guys who are seen as great QBs right now, do you see the same thing? I don’t ever break down tape on other teams, but just watching some niner games I know I’ve said plenty of times we’re lucky the opposing QB didn’t see someone. I guess is there a stat on something like wide open missed receivers or something? I’m just guessing, but I think we could pull tape on any QB and show plays from every game where they didn’t see the open guy a couple times. 

To be clear, not saying Jimmy’s a good QB, but just wondering if we as fans dissected everyone like we do Jimmy, we might think they all suck. 

Yes, like OBJ's dad you can do that with anyone. Really depends on the person and what they decide to spotlight. A one play sample size between two players performing the same task does nothing to make definitive conclusion. Sometimes people have an agenda or an axe to grind to some extent and focus on the negative in regards to certain players...because well, it's easy to sound like the smartest person in the room when you have a negative slant via hindsight (Grant Cohn). With Jimmy no one in 2019 was whining about air yards or All 22 tape in 2019 because he was playing well enough with the team winning. After his struggles it's open season on just his negative plays. Would be nice if everyone had a more balanced approach focusing on positives/negatives regarding of what your overall conclusion is with anyone whether they are bad or good. Some people to their credit do that that like J.T. O'Sullivan, Alex Rollins, Johnny's Football Academy, etc. Others even when proven wrong might decide to move the goal posts first. It's just human nature to not want to be wrong or have bias, and some folks just adhere to that nature. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Didn't expect this even. Interesting they gave up 2 BTT throws yesterday, most he's had in a game all season. 

Anyway, even if we had Dan Marino in his prime this roster just isn't living up to it's potential. More demoralizing than having a seemingly talented roster is losing or playing lackluster with that caveat in your pocket. Because at that point it points to a deeper problem than just Jims and Joes. Squad shouldn't be looking like an expansion team. On to the Rams. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shockingly by PFF's metrics the 49ers at 3-5 are still tied with the Titans for the best overall team in the league. Heehaw. Anyway, keep fighting. Still in the wild card hunt, no first round pick, might as well. 

I don't agree that we're the best team in the league, but i do think we're better than our record. The defense has generally been playing well until Sunday's disaster. Turnovers are unpredictable and unsustainable but a huge indicator of wins and losses and i believe we're -8 in that category. 

Its not even INT's, its losing fumbles. Feels like every fumble we have on offense bounces right into the defender, while most fumbles we cause go back to the offense or right out of bounds. The Aiyuk fumble alone was a 10 point swing as we lost a good opportunity for 7 and the Cards got 3 on that drive. 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shockingly by PFF's metrics the 49ers at 3-5 are still tied with the Titans for the best overall team in the league. Heehaw. Anyway, keep fighting. Still in the wild card hunt, no first round pick, might as well. 

*10th best team.

13 hours ago, straighthate said:

I don’t know either way, just asking. But if you do the same and break down film on Brady or Kyler Murray or Patrick Mahomes or some of the other guys who are seen as great QBs right now, do you see the same thing? I don’t ever break down tape on other teams, but just watching some niner games I know I’ve said plenty of times we’re lucky the opposing QB didn’t see someone. I guess is there a stat on something like wide open missed receivers or something? I’m just guessing, but I think we could pull tape on any QB and show plays from every game where they didn’t see the open guy a couple times. 

To be clear, not saying Jimmy’s a good QB, but just wondering if we as fans dissected everyone like we do Jimmy, we might think they all suck. 

100% every QB misses throws. Murray is weak over the middle in the intermediate part of the field at times for sure (height thing, maybe?). Do they miss so many while not making any other plays that we would think that they suck (That's not an implication that Jimmy does, just to be clear, just a question on how far you could tear them down by watching the tape, though I'd wager that Jimmy misses a lot more than the guys we consider good quarterbacks in terms of his hesitancy to throw the ball downfield)? I'm not going to go that far. But you can pretty much create whatever narrative you wanted for any QB you want because individual plays are such a micro sample size and frankly, you're just never going to be able to watch enough tape of everyone. 

As far as I know, there's no stat like that. The closest thing would likely be something that PFF builds into their grades through tape watching, but it's pretty hard to take PFF seriously when Sam Darnold was their #1 rated QB in week 8 lol. I don't think anyone really takes the grades of PFF all that seriously (some of their actual stats are very good though). 

Honestly, watching the 22 is really just informational. The amount you have to consume to really support a stance isn't worth it, and frankly, it's hard to go back and pull these plays to prove a point. You can generate a conclusion from watching it, but again, you have to do it quite consistently and have to have a reasonable sample. A lot of times if I do it (which I haven't done at all this year; figure it's not really worth it as Jimmy's play is inconsequential and the team as a whole just isn't good enough. Jimmy wasn't anywhere close to being an actual reason that we lost to the Cardinals) to figure out the why of something. Generally speaking, there's a reason in mind as to why you would watch it.  At least for me there is, because honestly, you can the general feel of what's going on just from stats (especially as sample sizes get bigger and bigger) and watching the games on a televised broadcast. . Do I need to watch the tape to see where Jimmy is comfortable throwing the football? Not really. It really just adds context and additional information. 

The love for Hufanga was premature. He had a very bad game this week. Plays hard, but plays with no discipline. 

Being a S, you need to know when its time to try and press and make a play and when its time to prevent the other team from making a play. Huf tries to make the big play every time and got burned because of it. 

Rams are salivating looking at this tape. our secondary is the worst in the NFL right now. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't agree that we're the best team in the league, but i do think we're better than our record. The defense has generally been playing well until Sunday's disaster. Turnovers are unpredictable and unsustainable but a huge indicator of wins and losses and i believe we're -8 in that category. 

Its not even INT's, its losing fumbles. Feels like every fumble we have on offense bounces right into the defender, while most fumbles we cause go back to the offense or right out of bounds. The Aiyuk fumble alone was a 10 point swing as we lost a good opportunity for 7 and the Cards got 3 on that drive. 

10th. Forgot to add that part. Of course we're not the best lol. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Didn't expect this even. Interesting they gave up 2 BTT throws yesterday, most he's had in a game all season. 

Anyway, even if we had Dan Marino in his prime this roster just isn't living up to it's potential. More demoralizing than having a seemingly talented roster is losing or playing lackluster with that caveat in your pocket. Because at that point it points to a deeper problem than just Jims and Joes. Squad shouldn't be looking like an expansion team. On to the Rams. 

After the first game against the Lions, my opinion of the defense was that the DL and LBs didn't seem to work together. I thought it'd be remedied pretty quickly. After all, we have Fred Warner out there, and his DC is someone who played at a similar level Fred does. It shouldn't even be a question that they would get it done. And they did get it done on a few occasions. But last sunday, the DL, LBs and the secondary all seemed lost. There was no coordination. I think there should be someone responsible for coordination. Like, a coordinator, or something... oh wait a minute!!

But it's not just the defense. The offense can never get on a roll. It's disjointed at times. Sometimes the pass blocking is good, but the routes go nowhere. Sometimes the running game looks decent, but we get away from it. If only there was someone at the top, at the head, making sure the body worked well... like a head coach, or something...

I don't know if there's something going on with Kyle personally. He's way off his coaching game. I don't know if he managed to stay under the radar because of the injuries in the past, but he always seemed to be coaching his butt off. This year, it feels like every one of his decisions backfires. And he seems bitter. The personnel decisions are very odd. He can't trust certain players on the field, but it's his job to coach these guys up. These are the guys you have, you can't shorthand yourself just because you don't trust the young guys. You need to use those guys, and in order to use these guys, you need to coach them up. I think our depth issues are self-inflicted, and I'm not even talking about how, why and where we brought players in. You have to play your hand. You can't cut off two of your fingers then excuse your performance because you only have 3 fingers.

And there's a lack of character on this team. Everyone is the best teammate they've ever had. George is the best! Fred is the best! Trent is the best! But who gets angry at halftime? Who fires people up on the sideline? Seriously, I feel the humiliation. And I know a thing or two about humiliation! Someone will have to step up, or this season will end in a severe downward spiral.