Week 9 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I will say this is probably the worst game Ryans has called as a coordinator, but I do remember people calling for Saleh’s job early in his stint here.

Well yeah, Salah's D was historically bad. Forcing just 7 turnovers in 2018 (an NFL record) and constantly failed to stop the run and generate pressure. 

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I will say this is probably the worst game Ryans has called as a coordinator, but I do remember people calling for Saleh’s job early in his stint here.

It honestly feels like we prepared for a Murray led team instead of McCoy and his noodle.

Just now, Justone2 said:

It honestly feels like we prepared for a Murray led team instead of McCoy and his noodle.

That should have been very easy to adjust to though. You knew that McCoy was mainly going to keep it underneath so you didn't have to worry about anything you have not seen before. Inexcusable, especially calling those blitz plays where you had to know they were going to set up the screen play.

Run defense is just bad and soft, but honestly it was solely dependent on one player who is no longer playing. Kind of expected but still a sad effort. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

That should have been very easy to adjust to though. You knew that McCoy was mainly going to keep it underneath so you didn't have to worry about anything you have not seen before. Inexcusable, especially calling those blitz plays where you had to know they were going to set up the screen play.

Run defense is just bad and soft, but honestly it was solely dependent on one player who is no longer playing. Kind of expected but still a sad effort. 

That kinda has been my main complaint with Ryans over the season. He plays so soft on third down and we don't seem to defend the sticks at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

That kinda has been my main complaint with Ryans over the season. He plays so soft on third down and we don't seem to defend the sticks at all.

Definitely, those 3rd and 4s and you are playing your DBs back so much? Also man, Ward is a cheat code with his covering ability and when he's not there, everything changes on 3rd down. He legit comes up and lines up against ANY receiver and just locks up. This game he tried putting Wilson and Hufanga on those same receivers/TEs and it didn't go well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why did the Cards not kick a FG there to go up 17? Obviously HIGHLY unlikely we come back, but what if there is a quick score and then a onside recovery? 

They had a chance to end the game with a first down, that was the right call 

Feel like the NFL needs to push the trade deadline back a week or two in the future with their being 17 games now. I think that there are too many teams who perceive themselves to still be in the hunt with the additional wildcard spot with where the deadline is now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

LOL 

Its one thing that we have one of the most RB friendly systems in the NFL yet continually use so many resources on the position. Its another thing that almost all of them don't end up working out. Its so wasteful 

Also, Sermon is actually decent? Not sure why he's on the bottom of the depth chart

Edited by 49ersfan

This game was infuriating for so many reasons 

Punting on the other teams 40 while down there scores in the fourth quarter is honestly a fireable offense. It won't happen, but that punt officially put him on the hot seat imo. 

Should have gone for two to make it a 16 point game. Should have gone for two last week to make it a 9 point (two score) game. 

These aren't overly complicated decisions. It's year 5. It's no different than Jimmy throwing that exact same interception to Budda Baker today that he has done 7+ times in the last few years - these are rookie mistakes that are getting made consistently. No excuse for it 

Kyle needs to be reigned back. He is either not the guy we hoped he was or he is too close to this thing. I haven't watched his post game presser yet, but these decisions are inexcusable 

The fact Tom Compton is our backup RT after Jalen Moore has played so well and McGlinchy has been terrible for a period that extends multiple seasons, shows how incompetent this staff is. It's almost worse than the punt because it shows how far Kyle and the rest of the offensive staff have their heads up their a$$es

These are such no brainer decisions from where I am sitting that it really makes me question everything about Kyle and this staff. 

• Like 1

Fission Mailed. Even with quarterback play that is fair to decent, another part of the squad just can't get it's head out of it's butt. Perhaps this was the L that just emphasized that the 49ers just aren't ready to sit with the big dogs on the porch this year. Turning the ball over, can't get turnovers, bad defense, bad offense, strange coaching choices, etc. And that at home against a depleted Cardinals team with 49ers players coming back from injury. As a fan I still want to the 49ers to just keep on fighting until they are eliminated from playoff contention, but after that I'd like to see some other players get some snaps for the future. Jed can't be pleased that the 49ers keep losing at home like this I'll say that much. Ah well, GO WARRIORS. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe