Which teams will have new head coaches next year?

notthatbluestuff

And who will they be?

To my mind, the most obvious candidates are:

Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
New York Giants
Miami Dolphins 
Jacksonville Jaguars
Las Vegas Raiders

Outside chance:

Detroit Lions (tough to see any coach going one-and-done, but if it's 0-17, well...)
New York Jets (surely Saleh gets more time) 
Houston Texans (awful results; but what were they expecting from Culley? Do they want to compete?) 
Philadelphia Eagles (how unhappy are they with Sirianni? I feel like he'll get at least another year regardless) 
Denver Broncos (depending on how they look down the stretch) 
Cincinnati Bengals (as above) 

Edited by notthatbluestuff

My guess is the Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, and Las Vegas Raiders (If it counts?) all have new coaches come March 2022.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

My guess is the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, and Las Vegas Raiders (If it counts?) all have new coaches come March 2022.

Absolutely, I forgot the Raiders. They’ll definitely be looking for a new coach in my opinion. 

On 11/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

And who will they be?

Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
New York Giants
Miami Dolphins 
Jacksonville Jaguars
Las Vegas Raiders

Outside chance:

Detroit Lions (tough to see any coach going one-and-done, but if it's 0-17, well...)
Houston Texans (awful results; but what were they expecting from Culley? Do they want to compete?) 
Philadelphia Eagles (how unhappy are they with Sirianni? I feel like he'll get at least another year regardless) 

A month ago, I would have been all in with you on Urban getting canned, but he undoubtedly still has the locker room.  We have a shortage of talent in many areas, but the players we do have seem to be putting forth a lot of effort every week.  I could actually see Shahid Khan giving Urban another year if he can steer clear of any more off field buffoonery.

Edited by Uncle Buck

- You can probably say that unless they retire of their own accord or do something truly disturbing off the field, McDermott, Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Stefanski, Vrabel, McVay, LaFleur, Arians, and Payton aren't going anywhere.
- Reich, Carroll, and Shanahan should be fine for this year, but sooner or later they'll need to show results.
- Taylor, McCarthy, and Kingsbury entered the season needing to show results and are delivering so far, so as long as they don't collapse during the second half of the season they'll be safe.
- Fangio, Zimmer, and Nagy entered the season needing to show results and are not delivering so far, and after years of mediocrity probably won't get another chance if they don't turn things around during the second half of the season.
- I wouldn't be surprised if Flores, Judge, Rivera, or Rhule got the boot this year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they got one last chance given that it's only their second year(third in Flores' case). But if they suck again next year they're gone.
- So far Staley and Smith have had their ups and downs but they're first-year head coaches so they're probably going to get at least another year or two.
- Saleh, Culley, Siranni, and Campbell have had pretty brutal starts to the season but they should get at least another year(it's possible Culley and/or Campbell get canned if they go 1-16 or 0-17 but I don't think they will).
- Meyer will probably have quit or lost the locker loom by the end of his first season.
- Not going to predict an interim coach.

Edited by jonnguy2015

I don't think it would be that shocking if Matt Rhule got fired, if the Panthers don't turn it around.  I'm not saying I want it to happen, because I like Rhule although his QB decisions have been disastrous, but by all accounts Tepper doesn't seem like someone who wants to settle for mediocrity for too long.  And it isn't like he can't afford to easily give up on the Rhule contract.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 9:06 PM, Uncle Buck said:

A month ago, I would have been all in with you on Urban getting canned, but he undoubtedly still has the locker room.  We have a shortage of talent in many areas, but the players we do have seem to be putting forth a lot of effort every week.  I could actually see Shahad Khan giving Urban another year if he can steer clear of any more off field buffoonery.

Did he? 

On 11/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

And who will they be?

Minnesota Vikings
Miami Dolphins 

Outside chance:

IMO, guaranteed:

Chicago Bears (4-9 this year, and no matter how many .500 seasons Nagy gives them, he just isn't the guy)

Jacksonville Jaguars (fired Meyer)

Las Vegas Raiders (fired Gruden)

New York Giants (Joe Judge is 6-10 and 4-9. His QB situation hasn't done him any favors, but he isn't a good coach. It's plain as day.)

Possibles:

Detroit Lions (terrible record, but didn't really have much talent on the team to begin with.)

Denver Broncos (19-26 so far for Fangio. If they don't make the playoffs, that could be the nail in his coffin)

Minnesota Vikings (Zimmer has led them to 7-9 and 6-7. IF he doesn't finish above .500 this year, I could see them saying, "Look, you never had back to back winning seasons. This hovering around .500 isn't good enough).

New Orleans Saints (Hear me out here. Not saying he'll get fired by any means. Saying that he might just be ready to hang it up and be done with coaching. He's been coaching the Saints for 16 years and at a certain point, what else is there for him to accomplish? Especially since he doesn't really have a QB anymore.)

Seattle Seahawks (See the Saints and Payton)

Miami Dolphins (Dark Horse here. Flores seems to be well respected in Miami and QB situation has really just now started to get good for them.)