2021 Week Ten GDT Da Steelers host Da Lions! Oh my!!!

Steeler Hitman

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

All good.  It can be said again.

4th post on pg 1 BTW....

I’ll be honest: my not being able to watch all-22, watch every snap, and comment all the time is I haven’t been looking for the silver lining in every little thing. I’m just kinda watching for the first time in a while. And while it’s refreshing I’m seeing just how bad some things are I used to think were more ok. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It's funny to me that the guy who is always making excuses for the coaches, specifically the head guy, is now looking to blame Roethlisberger for Mason Rudolph sucking because he didn't call and give him a pep talk before the game.

This website is for football discussion. Not the discussion of other members. If you can’t accomplish this task, a warning will be issued. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’ll be honest: my not being able to watch all-22, watch every snap, and comment all the time is I haven’t been looking for the silver lining in every little thing. I’m just kinda watching for the first time in a while. And while it’s refreshing I’m seeing just how bad some things are I used to think were more ok. 

I know I’m the one that pushed back on player talent against 43 in the thread…and honestly, I still believe it. I think there were a lot of quality individual performances and reasons to think this isn’t a 5 year project to get talent. That’s also not saying I see us being super bowl contenders next year, but there’s a good amount of players roster wide to get excited about. 

But the one thing I absolutely agree with 43 on is questioning the coaching staff. Your always gonna run into problems if you are running your 4,5,7, and 8 defensive lineman out for heavy snaps…but how can we not get people lined up right, or adjust to motions, or teach gap integrity? Some of that’s in the players too, but at some point you gotta stop blaming them and just look squarely at the coaches who are meant to teach, correct, and adjust. And I’m staring right now…

32 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I know I’m the one that pushed back on player talent against 43 in the thread…and honestly, I still believe it. I think there were a lot of quality individual performances and reasons to think this isn’t a 5 year project to get talent. That’s also not saying I see us being super bowl contenders next year, but there’s a good amount of players roster wide to get excited about. 

But the one thing I absolutely agree with 43 on is questioning the coaching staff. Your always gonna run into problems if you are running your 4,5,7, and 8 defensive lineman out for heavy snaps…but how can we not get people lined up right, or adjust to motions, or teach gap integrity? Some of that’s in the players too, but at some point you gotta stop blaming them and just look squarely at the coaches who are meant to teach, correct, and adjust. And I’m staring right now…

Well, coaching certainly doesn't go without blame.  I won't deny that.

But, I will say you can't pull out someone every time they line up in the wrong gap or call time out when they go to the wrong spot.  There is a certain point of coaching until you can't coach anyone anymore because they won't do it.

I tend to put issues like that on the organization as a whole.  These are bottom of the roster fodder type players making mistakes.  Buggs, Mondeaux, Davis.  Like, these aren't guys you lose sleep over cutting.  Yet the team acts like it's the worst thing in the world.  So for the FO not to just say, "Hey Andrew Bilings is available to add to the PS and Geno Atkins can play DE in our sheme, we're gonna try to bring them in and ditch Mondeaux, and we'll reach out to Beau Allen.  They are vets who can pick up the scheme fast."

For the coaches, I would trust that they are working on this, but do they stop and make the guys change to being lined up right?  Do they make them answer?  Or do they move them?  How often are they quizzing the ILB's and S's to know where the gaps are and who has them so if they see something wrong they can fix it?  FWIW I think things like this are a casualty of the CBA's restrictive practice rules.  Can't just put them in pads and beat them to **** on sleds and line on line drills anymore.

For the players, our ILB's barely know where they should be so they can't line up linemen.  Minkah is too far off the ball to help.  How Mondeaux lined up shaded to Heywards side over and over and over then kept ending up in his gap over and over and over without noticing he did something wrong is a problem.  How Bush and Schobert kept getting pounded over and over and never noticed something was wrong and pointing it out to the DL.  

It really is a 3 level failure.

I dont see how they can retain Canada.   

They probably will, but it makes no sense.

Get rid of him and Danny Smith, and I could live with that in regards to coaching changes.    I swear Boswell is the only reason Danny Smith is still employed.   That, or he has dirt on the Rooney family.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This website is for football discussion. Not the discussion of other members. If you can’t accomplish this task, a warning will be issued. 

Let me know when you issue warnings to the guys like 43 and Warfelg themselves who routinely direct insults at other posters with no substantive argument. Pointing out the contradiction in someone's demonstrated logic is a football argument, anyway.

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

But, I will say you can't pull out someone every time they line up in the wrong gap or call time out when they go to the wrong spot.  There is a certain point of coaching until you can't coach anyone anymore because they won't do it.

I agree with this, but I do think there’s a point where you can’t keep letting it happen. I’m gonna pick on them (while I understand what you said at the end about the DL at the end) but at some point you gotta do something about Schobert AND Bush both baling on responsibility trying to run around blocks or overrunning their gaps and leaving just California freeway sized lanes to sprint through. I just don’t know how you can’t pull one of them, either one really, off for a series and sub in Spillane. I’m not asking for them to never get back in or get cut…but a series or two to watch someone else do their job…I think that stuff is powerful. And possibly career changing for a guy like Bush that we need to make a decision on this off-season  

Same as I kept harping last year about the only way to deal with drops was to actually have guys lose their jobs, even briefly. Look at Diontae this year vs last on the concentration side of catching the ball (not…ya know…running with it). 

I do agree, you can only teach and coach so much, but at some point the most powerful tool you have IMO is taking the game away from guys. Tomlin will not use that unless you are Brandon Boykin or Witherspoon. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I agree with this, but I do think there’s a point where you can’t keep letting it happen. I’m gonna pick on them (while I understand what you said at the end about the DL at the end) but at some point you gotta do something about Schobert AND Bush both baling on responsibility trying to run around blocks or overrunning their gaps and leaving just California freeway sized lanes to sprint through. I just don’t know how you can’t pull one of them, either one really, off for a series and sub in Spillane. I’m not asking for them to never get back in or get cut…but a series or two to watch someone else do their job…I think that stuff is powerful. And possibly career changing for a guy like Bush that we need to make a decision on this off-season  

Same as I kept harping last year about the only way to deal with drops was to actually have guys lose their jobs, even briefly. Look at Diontae this year vs last on the concentration side of catching the ball (not…ya know…running with it). 

I do agree, you can only teach and coach so much, but at some point the most powerful tool you have IMO is taking the game away from guys. Tomlin will not use that unless you are Brandon Boykin or Witherspoon. 

Oh yea, I don't disagree on the stuff about the LBer.  I asked liek why is Buddy Johnson, who was sold as the "next Vince Williams" can't get a hat.  Like, Scho and Bush are not it, yet Spillane (who is against the run) is in there on passing downs.  Both Scho and Bush play better against run stuffer LB's who lead the way into the hole.  Almost like they are FB's for the defense.

But like I pointed out.  Putting it all at the feet of one person, one coach isn't how it's going to change.  It's gonna take Art Rooney to turn into THE Art Rooney and start demanding some things.  I pointed out some DL that can come in and help, how about looking at LB's: Benardrick McKinney is out there, who I loved as a run stuffing ILB.  Kiser, Compton, Correa are all worth a tire kick.  Heck with TJ likely missing time, Aldon Smith is worth a quick call.  Ryan Anderson, Sheard.  Are they game changers? No, but if you use them right you make due.  Like I would call Smith and Sheard, pitch a "time share".  Sheard on run downs, Smith on passing downs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

It's gonna take Art Rooney to turn into THE Art Rooney and start demanding some things.

This is why I didn't want to reward Tomlin in the off-season with a contract extension. I had (have?) no problem with Tomlin continuing to be the coach beyond this year, but it was an opportunity from the top to say "hey, we need to do some things better....".

We had a chance to hire an OC, a new OL coach, and a DB coach. Tomlin was extended and we hire the OC and OL internally from severely underperforming units, and brought in an absolute unknown as a DB coach. 

We continue to have the smallest analytics unit. Still have one of the smallest coaching staffs. Still have the same problems just lining up. Still cant get people to tackle. Still can't handle motions and shifts defensively. Still run the football outta heavy sets on 2nd and 10+. Still have an extremely inconsistent ST unit (outside of Boswell). 

Just so much "still" in the issues department to give out that extension IMO. We rewarded mediocrity and our reward for doing so was little to no changes. I think we had a missed opportunity to put some feet to the fire and we decided to just increase the runway. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Basically Heyward is a tank but can’t do it all himself and they miss Alalua a ton...and it’s causing Schobert and Bush to get exposed.

Might wanna start pushing DL to the upper tier of needs come this offseason.

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to watch this one, but I did see Kozora's do one through SD the other day. The gist seemed to be that we have our over front to adjust to specific strength looks and the lions were motioning and shifting to the opposite strength and our response was .... 🤷‍♂️

Eventually we DID match strength to strength and started to stop the run again.