2021 Week Ten GDT Da Steelers host Da Lions! Oh my!!!

Steeler Hitman

steelers_lions.jpg

Heinz Field on Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 1 pm. 

unnamed-1.jpg

Got beat by the Bengals, squeaked past the Bears, and now the Lions come to town! Oh my!

All Time Series History: Steelers lead 17-14-1. Last meeting won by the Steelers in Detroit 20-15.the-ref-who-couldnt-read-a-coin-14861743

Steelers have won 9 of 10 meetings with the only loss coming in the infamous Thanksgiving Day overtime coin toss debacle game versus the Charlie Batch led Lions.  In the immortal words of Jerome Bettis, "I said tails!"

z7omdngykmfajqwqdgj7.jpg

The color rush uniforms may have helped eek out a win, but did little for the OL and QB overall play. The Steelers got beat in the trenches and even Coach Tomlin admitted the OL took a step back after progress the previous weeks. Big Ben's production and the OL's ability to allow for a balanced attack go hand in hand. 

auadzzr6yp8elczpuwuq.jpg

The defense has not been top five or elite with some of the injuries and M.I.A. players. Where's Bush?

maxresdefault.jpg

I am sure that Coach Campbell and the Lions would love to get their first win of 2021 versus the Steelers. Protect those knee caps!!!1352294004.jpeg

When possible, use as much Muth as you can!

Steelers Keys to Victory on Offense

1. Hold onto the ball.

2. Eliminate pre snap penalties.

3. Win on first and second downs.

4. Stay out of third and long situations.

5. Keep running the ball.

GettyImages-1345870285.jpg?quality=65&st

Steelers Keys to Victory on Defense

1. Don't give up huge chunk plays.

2. Win the penalty battle

3. Win the turnover battle

4. Pressure, pressure and more pressure

5. Stuff the run

17122951.jpeg

Steelers Keys to Victory on Special Teams

1. Keep Boz safe and out of harm's way

2. More consistency from Pressy Harvin punting

3. Hold onto the ball Ray Ray

1200x0.jpg

Prediction: 

The Steelers squeeze out another close win against the Lions on another come from behind late TD 33 - 27.  The Steelers jump to a lead only to see the Lions roar back before the Steelers offense put together a late TD and hold off a Lions comeback before running out the clock for a victory. Looks like more heavy drinking and chest pains. 😁

This team rarely plays complete football games. They win and lose ugly. The defense still has a lot of question marks. With the Lions coming off a bye, I see them playing hard and trying to duplicate what  Bear's defense did against the Steelers OL and offense. 

if the jags can beat the bills, Lions can beat us. Game kinda feels like a toss up, but I like the steelers to win in another ugly fashion. 24-16. This is a must win, because after this week we might not be favored in a game until week 17. we need to be 6-3 heading into this tough stretch of games

• Like 1

It's a good game to break in the new offensive line of Chuks -- Dotson -- Green -- Turner -- Banner. 

Ya know, just speaking this into existence. The reality is, Banner will be another inactive because. That's the full thought. Just because. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, August4th said:

If the jags can beat the bills, Lions can beat us.

I get what you are saying, but honestly don't think one has anything to do with the other. The Steelers also beat the Bills before they went on a tear scoring 30 plus points the next several games and they beat up the Chiefs. The best teams don't always win, the team that plays together and is more determined often close the gaps. These are NFL teams and everyone is capable of beating everyone else, depending on the circumstances and ball bounces.  

I honestly just want to see this team play a full game of complimentary football. I have not seen that in several years now. Last year they played a great 28.5 minutes of the first half and the next closest was the first Browns game. 

At the end of the day I still believe that the Bills, Chiefs, Titans and Ravens are the strongest teams in the conference. All have some issues and all have proven to be beatable. I still think that Buffalo will be a team no one wants to see in January besides maybe Cleveland who can play bully ball against anyone. The Ravens are winning games, but could have several other losses hung on them as well (KC, Lions, Colts, and Vikings).  I take nothing from them as good teams find a way to win. You don't get credit for style points in the win loss columns. I prefer the ugly wins to the style point losses.

Game kinda feels like a toss up, but I like the Steelers to win in another ugly fashion. 24-16.

I agree and it should not be. I think the Steelers are a better team who are trying to find an identity/themselves. The Lions are trying to get a win to build from. If the Steelers play their A game, I think they can compete to beat anyone. The problem is that I haven't seen an A GAME (I have seen A series, quarters, and halves) from the Steelers in a long time. 

I think the physical OL play took a step back against the Bears. Try to reestablish that this week.  I also think the Steelers need to make Heinz Field a tough place to play in. Teams are coming into the Steelers home and out playing, out hustling, and at times out hitting the Steelers.  The Steelers need to try to dominate the Lions. I think both teams match up well, but the Steelers need to again jump out to a lead and pin their ears back and play defense. The defense is just not special. I honestly thought that they would be better and could be. 

This is a must win, because after this week we might not be favored in a game until week 17. we need to be 6-3 heading into this tough stretch of games

Yeah they dodged some bullets against the Bears. I think you have to get up on teams like the Bears and Lions and keep your foot on their throats. The Steelers ease up and teams start fighting back and often put their foots on the Steelers necks. They need to continue to build on something to grow from. Yes it can continue back upward with a strong game against the Lions. I am honestly not confident this team will do that. They typically don't. Not being negative, but honest.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

It's a good game to break in the new offensive line of Chuks -- Dotson -- Green -- Turner -- Banner. 

That is my hope. I think that the OT duo of Banner at RT and Chuks at LT needs to happen and begin to jell. Dan Moore has exceeded expectations as a fourth round LT, but his ceiling can only go so far this year. I believe that he is the Steelers future LT, but the future is not now. I am a Banner fan and hope that he can get on the field, because I think he brings leadership, an edge, and nastiness that our OL needs. He's big, strong, and tough. 

Ya know, just speaking this into existence. The reality is, Banner will be another inactive because. That's the full thought. Just because. 

I kind of feel that way, but I am hoping that after the step back in the Bears game at the point of attack, the Steelers look to ease Banner back in and Moore can play some swing tackle and continue gain some experience. 

Part of me hopes we lose, if just to get more eyes to widen as to whats going on.

We should've lost vs the Bears.  Say what you want about the roster..  it was another classic Tomlin collapse due to us not playing 4 full quarters.   

Happens multiple times.

Every ******* year.

We have zero chance of doing anything in the postseason.    Clinging on to false hope is partly why this team is in the shape its in right now.

Barely sneaking into the playoffs as a team that doesn't really deserve to be there only gives our front office more reason to maintain the status quo.

For as bad as Ben is, the issues go well beyond him, and beyond just the weaknesses on our roster.   

No, Im not trying to be doom or gloom.   This is just reality.   We need major changes, and frivolous "success" that ultimately takes us nowhere only serves as an illusion that things arent that bad.

This team doesnt just need tweaks.   We need an overhaul, even if people dont want to admit it.   The only 3 players I truly trust to be long term Steelers starters right now are Watt, Najee and Friermuth.    Everyone else is either aging or I have little faith in.

And unfortunately, the roster might not be the biggest issue.

Edited by 43M

12 hours ago, 43M said:

We need an overhaul, even if people dont want to admit it.

I strongly disagree. I think there is a lot to like about the team moving forward. 

I know you are not saying his, but I am not looking for 22 superstars, I am looking for a roster that checks boxes. We have a lot of guys that do that, and then we have the superstar types on top of that. 

Cam is getting older, but I still give him 2-3 years of being a high end/useful player. We have TJ locked down, and I know you are low on  paying Minkah, but he really is a very good player. So that's 3 players on defense in that upper tiers to build around. Add Sutton who does his job well, Bush who is fine (but wasn't worth the draft haul), Highsmith -- you aren't talking overhaul, your talking tinkering in order to have a top line defense. Money's very much available to us, so its very much doable. That's not even considering a guy like Norwood who could slot into a long term nickel/dime role or Edmunds who may come back or even someone like Tuitt who despite everything is a top line player. 

On offense, DJ and Claypool are both good and quality players. Freiermuth will be a top 5 TE in the league over his rookie contract. Najee is Najee. Dotson has definitely found his footing again and may not be the All-Pro social media wanted in the off-season, but he is a set it and forget it G for the next few years. Green has shown the flashes of why he can be special, but he has only played C for 1.5 years and needs to work on his body. 

We can absolutely sit her and nit-pick those names, but thats 13-14 names that are going to be good players/players that don't need replaced for multiple years to come. That's also not even considering guys like Loudermilk or Gentry who have come into their own too or even Moore who has shown well as a low round guy who needed to sit and learn but was thrust into action. I would just challenge you to find how many rosters that look like that in the NFL. I just went through the Chiefs and I'm at 11 to 13. The biggest difference is that they have Mahomes - the QB that they traded from 27 to 10 to get. With the Ravens, I get a very similar number to us and the Chiefs, the biggest difference again being Lamar who was drafted 32nd. 

My long story short, is I do not see overhaul. That would need to mean we have 2-5 future players that check the box of being able to play in the league, and we definitely do not have that. We have plenty of guys to build around and moving forward and we have the money to do it (both in where we are cap spend wise and the cap increase that's coming). We are a FA and a draft pick from improving the line (very doable). We are a FA CB away from having a solid secondary. Obviously some optimism in there, but looking league wide at all 32 rosters, I don't think you would see overhaul here in comparison. We need to overhaul the QB positions. That's about it (oh, and that's the hardest one.......unfortunately....).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I strongly disagree. I think there is a lot to like about the team moving forward. 

I know you are not saying his, but I am not looking for 22 superstars, I am looking for a roster that checks boxes. We have a lot of guys that do that, and then we have the superstar types on top of that. 

Cam is getting older, but I still give him 2-3 years of being a high end/useful player. We have TJ locked down, and I know you are low on  paying Minkah, but he really is a very good player. So that's 3 players on defense in that upper tiers to build around. Add Sutton who does his job well, Bush who is fine (but wasn't worth the draft haul), Highsmith -- you aren't talking overhaul, your talking tinkering in order to have a top line defense. Money's very much available to us, so its very much doable. That's not even considering a guy like Norwood who could slot into a long term nickel/dime role or Edmunds who may come back or even someone like Tuitt who despite everything is a top line player. 

On offense, DJ and Claypool are both good and quality players. Freiermuth will be a top 5 TE in the league over his rookie contract. Najee is Najee. Dotson has definitely found his footing again and may not be the All-Pro social media wanted in the off-season, but he is a set it and forget it G for the next few years. Green has shown the flashes of why he can be special, but he has only played C for 1.5 years and needs to work on his body. 

We can absolutely sit her and nit-pick those names, but thats 13-14 names that are going to be good players/players that don't need replaced for multiple years to come. That's also not even considering guys like Loudermilk or Gentry who have come into their own too or even Moore who has shown well as a low round guy who needed to sit and learn but was thrust into action. I would just challenge you to find how many rosters that look like that in the NFL. I just went through the Chiefs and I'm at 11 to 13. The biggest difference is that they have Mahomes - the QB that they traded from 27 to 10 to get. With the Ravens, I get a very similar number to us and the Chiefs, the biggest difference again being Lamar who was drafted 32nd. 

My long story short, is I do not see overhaul. That would need to mean we have 2-5 future players that check the box of being able to play in the league, and we definitely do not have that. We have plenty of guys to build around and moving forward and we have the money to do it (both in where we are cap spend wise and the cap increase that's coming). We are a FA and a draft pick from improving the line (very doable). We are a FA CB away from having a solid secondary. Obviously some optimism in there, but looking league wide at all 32 rosters, I don't think you would see overhaul here in comparison. We need to overhaul the QB positions. That's about it (oh, and that's the hardest one.......unfortunately....).

Vast majority of offensive talent is on C1....Vast majority of defensive talent is either on C1 or beginning C2.

They also have a lot of cap room with another $35mill or so possible with an easy Watt restructure and possible Schobert/Banner/Watt/Haeg/Wormley/Alaulu cuts...plus the $7 mill or so they can carry over from this year.

There’s no reason they can’t get 2 upper end FAs if they want to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We've got to look at some reinforcements at D-line, CB, and OG. I'd love to get a DT and a CB. Those will be expensive. Maybe we can find a nice affordable OG. 

WR is also a possibility with Juju and Washington FAs at end of year.

Truthfully, I think finding an Alpha type WR would’ve huge for this offense...wether it’s in FA or the draft.

1% chance of happening but bringing Rodgers and Adams to Pittsburgh would be a dream scenario.

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

WR is also a possibility with Juju and Washington FAs at end of year.

Truthfully, I think finding an Alpha type WR would’ve huge for this offense...wether it’s in FA or the draft.

1% chance of happening but bringing Rodgers and Adams to Pittsburgh would be a dream scenario.

I am more than okay skipping top end WR because I think we are really good at assessing the mid round talent and we are transiting into a run team. 

BUT! If we actually did go get an Aaron Rodgers, I would love to look at some assassin contracts on someone like Allen Robinson to rebuild his value. If we really wanted to spend at a top end guy, Chris Godwin would be my happy place. 

My Shopping list:
- IOL: Connor Williams, Austin Corbett
- CB: Carlton Davis, JC Jackson, Donte Jackson, Levi Wallace
- WR: Adam Humphries, Jamison Crowder, Cedrick Wilson
- DB: Daniel Sorenson -- championship!*

*just kidding 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I know you are not saying his, but I am not looking for 22 superstars, I am looking for a roster that checks boxes.

Of course Im not saying that, but alot of players dont check the necessary boxes....at least not yet.

Cam is getting older, but I still give him 2-3 years of being a high end/useful player.

Me too...but thats not long.   That's whi I said long term.

We have TJ locked down, and I know you are low on  paying Minkah, but he really is a very good player.

This is a debatable statement.

He is a very TALENTED player.  Ill give you that.

And Im more against HOW MUCH we might pay him than paying him in general.

Add Sutton who does his job well,

We must be watching a different Sutton.    He is cheeks this year.

We need two new starters at CB.    

If he is one of your "top" DBs, youre in trouble.

Bush who is fine (but wasn't worth the draft haul.

He is Larry Foote type insomuch as he needs a better player to hold his hand,  like Farrior did for Foote.  He isnt that good on his own.   He needs a really good ILB next to him, or at least a good run defending NT.

Highsmith --

We still really dont know what we have in him.

you aren't talking overhaul, your talking tinkering in order to have a top line defense.

2 new starting CBs.

Good ILB or NT....maybe both.

DLine will need work pretty soon.

I agree the defense doesn't need an overhaul....but it needs more than tinkering.

Money's very much available to us, so its very much doable. That's not even considering a guy like Norwood who could slot into a long term nickel/dime role or Edmunds who may come back or even someone like Tuitt who despite everything is a top line player. 

Lets be real....all of that is pretty wishful thinking.

People are overrating Norwood based on very limited play.   Not the first time thsts happened.

Edmunds...meh.

Tuitt I love, but we have no idea what his future holds.

On offense, DJ and Claypool are both good and quality players.

I agree, but neither are consistent and have limitations which have hurt us.

Not proposing we get rid of them.   But Im not sure they provide enough....at least not consistently.

Freiermuth will be a top 5 TE in the league over his rookie contract. Najee is Najee.

I mentioned them, so I can agree.

Dotson has definitely found his footing again and may not be the All-Pro social media wanted in the off-season, but he is a set it and forget it G for the next few years. Green has shown the flashes of why he can be special, but he has only played C for 1.5 years and needs to work on his body. 

Again, alot of this is wishful thinking.

I have hopes for Moore and Banner as well....but I also had hopes for other players that didn't work out.

At best...we probably need 2 new starters on OLine.   At worst, we probably need 4....hell, maybe 5.    Too soon to say, but Im not counting anything as a sure thing unless it is.

We can absolutely sit her and nit-pick those names, but thats 13-14 names that are going to be good players/players that don't need replaced for multiple years to come.

Half of them are kinda to very questionable or dependent on other factors.

That's also not even considering guys like Loudermilk or Gentry who have come into their own too or even Moore who has shown well as a low round guy who needed to sit and learn but was thrust into action. I would just challenge you to find how many rosters that look like that in the NFL. I just went through the Chiefs and I'm at 11 to 13.  The biggest difference is that they have Mahomes - the QB that they traded from 27 to 10 to get

You mean the last place in the AFC West Chiefs even with the best QB in the league?

. With the Ravens, I get a very similar number to us and the Chiefs, the biggest difference again being Lamar who was drafted 32nd. 

Not sure why you are talking about where these QBs are drafted.   Are you implying we will find a good QB not picking high?   Because for every Mahomes and Lamar there is a Leinart, Flacco, Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and Dwayne Haskins.

You forgot to talk about coaching staff.   I have zero faith in any of our offensive staff.  Danny Smith needs to go.   And while many wont entertain the thought, Im not completely sold on Tomlin ever getting us back to a SB.

So, with that and....

QB

RB depth

Maybe a starting WR

2 to 5 starters on the OLine

Perhaps the entire DLine in 3 years...maybe sooner.

A good ILB or NT to make up for  Bush's flaws.

Two new starting CBs.

Probably 1 new starting safety (Edmunds).

Call it what you want...but sounds alot closer to an overhaul than just "tweaks".

"Overhaul" doesn't necessarily mean a page 1 rewrite or starting from scratch.   It just means major changes...which I think is needed.    That, or finding a top end elite QB, which is unlikely.

Edited by 43M

We just are not going to agree on talent here @43M, so I wont respond to all. But I appreciate the feedback regardless. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Me too...but thats not long.   That's whi I said long term.

IMO, 2-3 years in the NFL is long term. If Cam holds on for 2 more years, thats 3 draft/fa cycles to find replacements. It's also 2/3 draft/FA cycles that you don't need to worry about his starting spot. That's an eternity in the league. So, for me, a guy like Kevin Dotson or Cam Sutton (I just don't agree at all with your assessment) are okay starters for at least 1 more year. That gives me more runway rather than a need to run out the door for a replacement. That allows me to find the other pieces. The replacement to Haden, the slot corner, the RG position that's open, etc. Even a guy like Edmunds who is, at worst, average. I'll take average all day over unknown and allow myself to focus more on other position. Give me Cam, Tuiit, Alualu, Bush, TJ, Highsmith, Cam, and Minkah and I feel good about where we are starting as a baseline. As Ive stated above with my FA wish list, add one of those impact CB's, bring back Edmunds, bring back Schobert, and add through the draft and mid-lower tier FA (all of which is reasonable and doable) and you should see a pretty strong outlook for a top defense.

The offense I get being a different animal, but the QB play is really holding back what the talent might be. I see TE as a place we don't need to touch with Muth and Gentry. Honestly, same with receiver - a mid tier/lower level FA or mid round draft pick is sufficient for a season. Don't care about RB #2 as a place to spend money or draft picks (though, I agree we could get better). And I have seen enough from Dotson and Green to think they hold their spots. And being 25 and 22, there's a definite growth curve -- however small it might even be -- to reasonable improvement. 

I think we have more than enough pieces to maintain a core and build around them. Some of the other stuff I just see as life in the NFL. Like potentially needing 2 OL. That's just kinda how it all goes. The Browns have a fantastic group of 5 starting OL.....outside of running back, they have 0 eligibles to feel good about. I just think we have enough guys on the roster with years left under team control that are capable of playing football on Sundays to be comfortable about our future outlook rather than considering burning it down in a sense (losing games) to build it back. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

You mean the last place in the AFC West Chiefs even with the best QB in the league?

Not sure why you are talking about where these QBs are drafted.   Are you implying we will find a good QB not picking high?   Because for every Mahomes and Lamar there is a Leinart, Flacco, Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and Dwayne Haskins.

I'll combine these, but are you comfortable thinking the Chiefs, who own the second biggest turnover differential in the league (largely caused by Mahomes who has never turned it over like this before), will finish in the basement? I think we all know their defense isn't good, but I'm not going to start calling them a bad team. 

In terms of mentioning QBs, just kinda pointing it back to how you mentioned you wish we would lose. You just said it yourself here....for everyone great player there's bad ones. Such is life. But it also goes to show you shouldn't be worry about losing 1-2, 3-4 more games for a better throw at the draft dart board. I'd rather have a team that tries than a team that doesn't -- and that's coming from and Orioles fan. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

You forgot to talk about coaching staff.   I have zero faith in any of our offensive staff.  Danny Smith needs to go.   And while many wont entertain the thought, Im not completely sold on Tomlin ever getting us back to a SB.

I didn't forget about the coaching staff, I just simply don't care to mention them if I am talking team talent. If you hate our offensive coordinator, that can change next year. Talent, team wide, takes much longer to overhaul. We aren't going to know who this offense is until Ben isn't on the field. It's hard running into 10 man boxes or throwing short game against 2 man. Until we can have a full playbook, it sucks we wont know what we have. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

It just means major changes...which I think is needed

I just don't think we need major changes in terms of player talent, rather just an infusion of more. I don't want to derail into an off-season projection but IMO, if you look above where I listed my FA wish list, I think if you can grab one guy from each line and maintain the people we have already on roster....you are in a really good space to go into the draft and say I need a LT, DL/ILB, and a DB high and feel good about where that leaves you. That's pretty realistic with where we are cap wise and probably having 4 picks in the top 103 of the draft. 

I understand that's leaving out QB, but honestly, I don't see anyone in the draft worth taking and unless someone like Carr becomes available or A-A-Ron really comes here....I think we are SOL for another year, so I'd rather stack more talent. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, 43M said:

Part of me hopes we lose, if just to get more eyes to widen as to whats going on.

We should've lost vs the Bears.  Say what you want about the roster..  it was another classic Tomlin collapse due to us not playing 4 full quarters.   

Happens multiple times.

Every ******* year.

We have zero chance of doing anything in the postseason.    Clinging on to false hope is partly why this team is in the shape its in right now.

Barely sneaking into the playoffs as a team that doesn't really deserve to be there only gives our front office more reason to maintain the status quo.

For as bad as Ben is, the issues go well beyond him, and beyond just the weaknesses on our roster.   

No, Im not trying to be doom or gloom.   This is just reality.   We need major changes, and frivolous "success" that ultimately takes us nowhere only serves as an illusion that things arent that bad.

This team doesnt just need tweaks.   We need an overhaul, even if people dont want to admit it.   The only 3 players I truly trust to be long term Steelers starters right now are Watt, Najee and Friermuth.    Everyone else is either aging or I have little faith in.

And unfortunately, the roster might not be the biggest issue.

It is likely that the Steelers -- at best -- are one and done in the playoffs. However, there are not a lot of teams in the AFC right now that don't look much better. I am posting now after the Ravens just got dominated by the Dolphins. 

The D is solid, but not spectacular. Certainly good enough to help the team win, The O is struggling primarily due to poor OL play. Ben is adequate at best, but he is really terrible when the OL has multiple breakdowns.

If the Steelers can get by Detroit, they'll be tied with Baltimore for the AFC North. After that, there are quite a few games the Steelers will be underdogs. If they manage 4-4, they'll be 10-7 with a chance to make the playoffs.

All things considered, I'll take it. Would you prefer to be the Jets, Jags, or Texans?