2021 Week Ten GDT Da Steelers host Da Lions! Oh my!!!

Steeler Hitman

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I didn't forget about the coaching staff, I just simply don't care to mention them if I am talking team talent. If you hate our offensive coordinator, that can change next year. Talent, team wide, takes much longer to overhaul. We aren't going to know who this offense is until Ben isn't on the field. It's hard running into 10 man boxes or throwing short game against 2 man. Until we can have a full playbook, it sucks we wont know what we have.

I agreed or at least didnt feel debating the other points, because youre right, some of the stuff we simply wont agree on.

I wasnt just talking about team talent in my original post though.  Thats why I said about it going BEYOND just the talent on the team.

And I wanted to touch on the bolded specifically.    I was NEVER a fan of promoting Matt Canada and dont have any faith in him as an OC.   Sure, if he got an elite QB, Im sure they could make him look good, but I feel like they shouldve moved in a completely new direction after Fitchner, and yet they decided to promote within.     

This is partly what Im referring to in regards to an overhaul.   Promoting Canada was a "tweak".   Bringing in a new offensive system is an overhaul, and thats what we need. 

Get Ben the hell out of here, and move this offense in a new direction with a QB that is open to new ideas and can actually throw downfield.

Bottom line....I just feel like we need a major change.    I made that thread in the offseason about us spinning tires.       I just feel like we need to move on in many areas....Ben being the obvious.  Numerous coaches need to be replaced IMO.   I know we wont fire Tomlin and Im not even really saying we should, but I do feel like this needs to be his last contract unless this team moves forward.   I dont care about his "not having a losing record" anymore.     If you arent moving forward, youre moving backwards.   I dont think Tomlin is a bad coach, but I feel like he has gotten complacent and feel like a change might be good for both him and us.    

This team has some bright spots and things to look forward too....maybe even more than Im giving credit for.     But its just hard to get excited for this team when you dont feel like there are any meaningful strides forward being taken.      We've made "tweaks" almost every year for the last decade with pretty much the same results. 

• Like 1

So, Ravens lost tonight.    

I feel like many Steeler fans will look deeper into this than they should.

I still believe we finishing with 8 to 10 wins and, at best, sneak in and get ousted pretty quickly in the playoffs.

However, I will say that the AFC is pretty wide open.   If we had a better QB and Oline, and Alualu was healthy, I might be kinda excited...but Ben doesnt have it and the OLine isnt good enough for the run game to really take off.   

I don’t think a major overhaul is necessary, if we had Ben from 5 years ago we would be one of the favorites for the SB. Imagine this team with Rodgers at QB, the opposition would have to respect the pass which would help out OL tremendously, Harris would have space to run and we could dominate TOP which would help the D.  We could still use a few pieces (CB, ILB, DL) but the offense would be set. So much of our problem is Ben gets no respect from the D and we can’t control the clock and run the ball. He’s been great for us but it’s time to move on. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I don’t think a major overhaul is necessary, if we had Ben from 5 years ago we would be one of the favorites for the SB. Imagine this team with Rodgers at QB, the opposition would have to respect the pass which would help out OL tremendously, Harris would have space to run and we could dominate TOP which would help the D.  We could still use a few pieces (CB, ILB, DL) but the offense would be set. So much of our problem is Ben gets no respect from the D and we can’t control the clock and run the ball. He’s been great for us but it’s time to move on. 

Ben 5 years ago alone isn’t the answer because Ben 5 years ago also head:

The best WR in the nfl (Brown)

the best RB in the nfl (Bell)

the best OL in the NFL

The lack of Brown and the OL hurts just as much as Bens massive decline. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

because youre right

I stopped reading after this 😎, anything said ....even immediately after this set of words that didn't end in a period... were ignored.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I know we wont fire Tomlin and Im not even really saying we should, but I do feel like this needs to be his last contract unless this team moves forward.   I dont care about his "not having a losing record" anymore.     If you arent moving forward, youre moving backwards.   I dont think Tomlin is a bad coach, but I feel like he has gotten complacent and feel like a change might be good for both him and us. 

But seriously, a lot of what you said I agree with in terms of the coaching side. I am in the middle still on Canada because I still don't think we have any idea what he actually is as a coordinator as we jump back in forth between his concepts and Ben's/Fichtner's ideas. I don't think its possible to be both and it would take a year post Ben to even have an idea of if he is right or wrong for the team. So do we have a guy whose offensive designs and mind will push a limited QB forward or will he be more of what we are seeing now and its a waste of a year? I seriously don't know if we can answer that....and that sucks. 

I have banged the drum for years now that we need an expanded coaching staff and to really focus on hiring analytical members of the team to be part of game day. Look around the league and that's what you see teams doing, yet we sit here with one of the smaller coaching staffs and probably the smallest analytical department in the league. 

This may seem like nothing to some, but to me its telling. Sean McVay has been around since 2017. His coaching tree has 2 coordinators and 3 NFL head coaches in the league right now. Tomlin is in year 15 and is a highly thought of head coach -- what's his coaching tree look like? The Steelers continually have had solid defense or offense throughout his tenure. Where is the demand for his coaching staff? I understand some has to do with being a defensive HC in an offensive league, but Steelers coaches struggle to even find jobs after their tenure here. 

Teams that win have coaches poached. Teams with highly thought of HC's have their guys stolen for bigger gigs. Mike Tomlin and the Steelers, despite success, are largely avoided -- even in just interviews. John Harbaugh and their horrendous passing game and limited WR's got David Culley a head coaching gig. Tomlins "best" is Bruce Arians who was a Cowher hold over that Mike LET GO. I mean....

I was vocal about saying extending Tomlin last season was a mistake. I understand the idea of moving forward with him post Ben for continuity....but the only way to get change at times is to force change. I'll leave hiring Canada open as a possible good move, but he also followed that up by bringing in the guy who helped Eli Manning be overwhelmingly average and elevated the assistant coach from an extremely poor unit on the offensive line. IMO, it feels like we have won purely on talent for a long time. From the AB and Bell days, with Ben at his height, now to TJ, Cam, and Minkah. We seem to always be out-coached and when you see that no one wants our coaches and that we basically hold onto guys until we let them go into oblivion....it makes me wonder if the other 31 teams KNOW we are not well coached top to bottom. 

Annnd sorry for the wall of text. That one got away from me there....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

So, Ravens lost tonight.    

I feel like many Steeler fans will look deeper into this than they should.

I still believe we finishing with 8 to 10 wins and, at best, sneak in and get ousted pretty quickly in the playoffs.

However, I will say that the AFC is pretty wide open.   If we had a better QB and Oline, and Alualu was healthy, I might be kinda excited...but Ben doesnt have it and the OLine isnt good enough for the run game to really take off.   

This. I’m not predicting total wins or loses. The Everyone in the AFC looks beatable and gives me hope. Makes me wish that Cox trade went through.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Displayname said:

This. I’m not predicting total wins or loses. The Everyone in the AFC looks beatable and gives me hope. Makes me wish that Cox trade went through.

After looking at it more, I wish they woulda done it. 31 and high cap hit the next few years but the AFC is a crapshoot this year.

3 hours ago, Displayname said:

I honestly didn't know anything about us trying to get Fletcher Cox until you mentioned it.   

Im glad it didn't happen though.    Im never in favor of lucratve trades for aging vets unless they are potentially the missing piece of a Superbowl team.   He wasnt the piece that would put us over the top, and it may have cost a 2nd round pick to get him.

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I honestly didn't know anything about us trying to get Fletcher Cox until you mentioned it.   

Im glad it didn't happen though.    Im never in favor of lucratve trades for aging vets unless they are potentially the missing piece of a Superbowl team.   He wasnt the piece that would put us over the top, and it may have cost a 2nd round pick to get him.

Rumor is that they wanted a 3rd FWIW and the Steelers passed.

44 minutes ago, AFF said:

Rumor is that they wanted a 3rd FWIW and the Steelers passed.

Thats actually not bad, but again, he wasnt going to put us over the top.

Id prefer they wait to the offseason to make some major moves instead of making an impulsive move just before the trade deadline.   I wouldn't have complained...but Im not upset we passed, either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Thats actually not bad, but again, he wasnt going to put us over the top.

Id prefer they wait to the offseason to make some major moves instead of making an impulsive move just before the trade deadline.   I wouldn't have complained...but Im not upset we passed, either.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I'd love to have someone of Fletcher Cox' ability. I'd rather have him for an extended period of time, though. Not just for the last half of the season.