Panthers sign QB Cam Newton

RaidersAreOne

He was the perfect fashion clown to serve as a sorbet between Brady and whatever was next.

All NE compliments were really based on 'for a weirdo he's actually..."

From a football sense this Panthers team is dangerous. Their D can play and they have weapons in Moore and CMC.

For all of Cam's weaknesses as a passer, he knows how to use guys like Robby Anderson (See Ted Ginn with and without Cam)

I am not predicting great things from them but they could be a tough out as a 6th or 7th seed.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

He was the perfect fashion clown to serve as a sorbet between Brady and whatever was next.

All NE compliments were really based on 'for a weirdo he's actually..."

From a football sense this Panthers team is dangerous. Their D can play and they have weapons in Moore and CMC.

For all of Cam's weaknesses as a passer, he knows how to use guys like Robby Anderson (See Ted Ginn with and without Cam)

I am not predicting great things from them but they could be a tough out as a 6th or 7th seed.

7th seed in the NFC could be an 8 win team. I guess they’re on for it

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

I'll never understand the big deal about Cam. Above average until his anomaly MVP season and then got worse each season afterwards.

Yeah, that’s…fact.

I guess 2018 he was looking good before TJ Watt massacred his shoulder, but he’s generally seen as a one-elite year type QB. What a year that was though - I hated him then.

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

I'll never understand the big deal about Cam. Above average until his anomaly MVP season and then got worse each season afterwards.

You can really set your watch by fans of teams without mobile QBs conveniently forgetting about what a playmaker he was as a rusher in his prime. 5400 career rushing yards and 70 TDs is a LOT of value added, even if he was rarely an elite passer.

• Like 6

If you need to ignore 19 games of a career then your argument is weak.

Lets throw out 2006

• Rivers is now a .500 QB in San Diego.
  • Peyton Manning is now a 10-13 playoff QB.
    •  Manning is an 82 rated playoff passer over 25 games if you ignore the 2003 and 2004 Broncos games.
    • Those games happened so he's an 87.4 rated playoff passer.
    • You are free to manipulate reality all you want, just realize it can be done to almost everyone.

My favorite has always been that Nick Foles is a terrible QB if you pretend that about 28 of his Eagles games never happened.

Rodgers is a 7-9 playoff QB with no rings if you don't count 2010.  I just checked, 2010 counted.

I myself have drilled down to this level of detail when discussing things like "Is Manning the GoaT?" (fine tuning the top 10 to ever play, all of them great)

I don't see any value in this as a way to invalidate a players career.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Apparition said:

You can really set your watch by fans of teams without mobile QBs conveniently forgetting about what a playmaker he was as a rusher in his prime. 5400 career rushing yards and 70 TDs is a LOT of value added, even if he was rarely an elite passer.

Scored 35 touchdowns as a rookie (could be wrong but think Herbert last year is the only QB with more).  Over 30 TDs in 2013 and led us to a 12-4 record.  And he dragged a really depleted offense, talent-wise, to the playoffs in 2017 - Olsen was hurt for basically the entire season, Benjamin (who sucked anyway) got traded midseason so his #1 was Devin Funchess, Stewart was washed and McCaffrey wasn't being utilized properly because Shula is/was a horrible OC.  

Newton wasn't perfect and definitely fitting to question his consistency, but I don't get why people act as if 2015 was the only season he was good.  Newton was very good.  It is a shame his shoulder fell off by the time he got an OC who could design a modern passing scheme.  And this isn't me just saying this with the benefit of hindsight, because I was saying it at the time as well.  But it is telling that Newton's 2nd best passing season statistically is 2018, when the eye test would tell you it was probably the worst Cam we saw other than 2016 (another injury-ravaged season, but with Shula as OC).  Shula was just that bad.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Scored 35 touchdowns as a rookie (could be wrong but think Herbert last year is the only QB with more).  Over 30 TDs in 2013 and led us to a 12-4 record.  And he dragged a really depleted offense, talent-wise, to the playoffs in 2017 - Olsen was hurt for basically the entire season, Benjamin (who sucked anyway) got traded midseason so his #1 was Devin Funchess, Stewart was washed and McCaffrey wasn't being utilized properly because Shula is/was a horrible OC.  

Newton wasn't perfect and definitely fitting to question his consistency, but I don't get why people act as if 2015 was the only season he was good.  Newton was very good.  It is a shame his shoulder fell off by the time he got an OC who could design a modern passing scheme.  And this isn't me just saying this with the benefit of hindsight, because I was saying it at the time as well.  But it is telling that Newton's 2nd best passing season statistically is 2018, when the eye test would tell you it was probably the worst Cam we saw other than 2016 (another injury-ravaged season, but with Shula as OC).  Shula was just that bad.  

Newton was a victim of the hype train that came with his draft status, imo. 

The Heisman, national championship, and #1 overall selection were exceptionally overblown with him being a 1 year wonder at Auburn. 

I remember that draft and it's lead up vividly, and people were gushing over Newton as if he was going to redefine the QB position. Height, weight, speed, blah blah blah. 

Ultimately, people were sold a bill of goods that Newton was going to come in and absolutely 2018 Mahomes the NFL and if you couldn't see it, you were a blind hater. 

He went to a pretty bad team that rarely had weapons for him. He was average overall as a passer, but early on made up for it as a running threat. While solid, that wasn't what people were told he would be (and frankly, what they were told was practically impossible to attain, much less maintain long enough to justify the extreme hype levels). 

It's much like the insane amount of Trevor Lawrence hype. People, and it was more than just a handful, were calling for the Jaguars to make the playoffs and literally asking "How long will it take him to win 3 rings". It's an absurd amount of hype that will never be fulfilled. It's no guarantee Lawrence doesn't get through almost a decade before even making a playoff opinion, much less ever wins 1, much less 3 rings whilst tossing 5500 yards and 50 TDs per year. I'm not a fan of his at all, and even I can see the levels he got hyped up to are unmanageable even if he realistically plays up to his draft status. 

That was Newton before. He would've needed to replicate 2015 a few times before some folks would be pleased. The reality is, he was absolutely a franchise worthy QB for most of his time, and sprinkled in plenty of highlights. But it was never going to fulfill some of the prophecies made before he even took a live NFL snap. And that's not exactly his fault, but that of the ridiculous expectations put towards him through the media and many NFL fans. 

The guy who threw 8TDs and 10 ints in 15 starts last season?  A bit surprising to see so many people happy about this...

And to be fair, Darnold played pretty well early on with McCaffrey in the lineup.  When CMC went down is when Darnold fell apart..

in three games with McCaffrey: Darnold went 3-0, had 900 yards, 68% comp. rate, 6 total TDs, 2 Turnovers.

without McCaffrey, well, you know.

7 hours ago, frenchie said:

The guy who threw 8TDs and 10 ints in 15 starts last season?  A bit surprising to see so many people happy about this...

And to be fair, Darnold played pretty well early on with McCaffrey in the lineup.  When CMC went down is when Darnold fell apart..

in three games with McCaffrey: Darnold went 3-0, had 900 yards, 68% comp. rate, 6 total TDs, 2 Turnovers.

without McCaffrey, well, you know.

You know rushing touchdowns count the same as passing touchdowns? Cam had 21 total tds last season. Pretty disingenuous of you. You count Darnold’s rushing tds, but not Cam’s.

• Like 3