Panthers sign QB Cam Newton

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, I was always under the impression that teams could cut a guy opted on their 5th year with no cap hit...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/sam-darnold-25098/

Per Spotrac, a post 6/1 release designation means no cap penalty... so the Panthers have an out to get from under that deal.

They are fully guaranteed now as soon as the option is exercised.  But you are right that you used to be able to cut someone to get out of it, but that changed in 2018 (it used to be only guaranteed for injury or when the new league year starts).

1 minute ago, pwny said:

He started a season and a half worth of games in his first stint. I’ll allow it, but not quite what I was looking for.

That's all that came to mind, tbh. Goodness knows it's the closest thing Philly had to a franchise QB since my twin...

donovan mcnabb happy dance GIF

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

How many other times has a franchise QB left a team, and came back after playing elsewhere?

(obviously excluding signing solely to retire)

Fran Tarkenton did way back in the day.  He didn't see eye-to-eye with head coach Norm VanBrocklin, so they traded him to the Giants.  Later, when VanBrocklin was replaced by Bud Grant, Bud brought Francis back and they went to three Super Bowls together.

51 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

But man our QB decisions have been disastrous.  I really hope they leave future QB decisions out of his hands.

Yeah, I never quite understood going after Teddy and giving him that kind of money. Like you, I understand letting Newton go if your goal was to tank. But they clearly thought Bridgewater was an upgrade. 

Then Darnold.....man, I'm sorry for you guys. Dude has always been awful. He's just not good. 

Frankly, you guy may have genuinely fared better one way or another just keeping Kyle Allen and seeing what was around the corner. Hard to say Bridgewater or Darnold are head and shoulders better, but they costed more lol.