Garoppolo to San Francisco

Apparition

Poor trade when they could of gotten a first this past offseason. The Patriots are basically going the way of the 90's Chicago Bulls once Brady is gone for good b/c unless they find a QB they will be back to pre Brady results. I guess Bill Bellichick isn't thinking about the future at QB or maybe he knows he's planning on not sticking around once Brady is gone.

1 hour ago, PatriotsWin! said:

I don't get this at all. If you wanted to trade him why not do it before the season when he was worth a lot more?

More importantly, why do it now when we have no backup. We got rid of Brisset. There's no one ready to go if Brady goes down (no bum FA is going to learn our system midseason). This is insane.

This is directly correlated to Brady showing that he is not near done playing top tier QB. They had to keep Jimmy G until they knew for sure. Now that they know, they had to get whatever they could for Jimmy G. I know some people thought the Franchise tag was a possibility but I think that was always highly unlikely. Pats made the move they had to and get fair (if not better) compensation for a player on the last 3 months of his contract. Another good move by the Pats.

4 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Poor trade when they could of gotten a first this past offseason. The Patriots are basically going the way of the 90's Chicago Bulls once Brady is gone for good b/c unless they find a QB they will be back to pre Brady results. I guess Bill Bellichick isn't thinking about the future at QB or maybe he knows he's planning on not sticking around once Brady is gone.

Doubtful they would have gotten a first at any point in time for him. They wouldnt make this trade if they didn't think Brady would be back a few more years at a high level. BB is obviously thinking about QB's because he keeps drafting them in high rounds like 2nd and 3rd. BB probably stays beyond Brady, he loves football too much. 

Wish we could’ve kept him for the future, but given how Brady’s playing I can’t see it. If Bill wasn’t going to franchise him or work to extend him (maybe Jimmy outpriced himself?), then this is the best option. Wish it was more, but a high second is better than nothing. 

I have to believe that BB is in “ride or die” mode with Brady, and is gambling on Brady’s health for this season. That, or he wasn’t sure Jimmy would be able to replace him. Given the state of the so-so line play and limited defense, that probably isn’t too far fetched. 

Weird, but I’m happy to get the pick and for Jimmy. He probably looks mediocre this year, but a year with Shanahan and some more offensive weaponry, and he’ll look really good IMO.

For those scratching their heads about backing up Brady, do you think with this defense, anyone other than Brady and maybe Brees or Rodgers could lead this team to another ship. If Brady goes down, the season goes bust even with Jimmy IMO

14 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

Yeah but you still have to field a roster. There is zero chance that Bill just flat out gives up on the season even with Brady out. It'sd strange, even with Edelman being out as the emergency backup. I guess i might as well send my resume to bill tomorrow morning. lol

They'll probably bring in Hoyer. 

Breer says NE talked to him this offseason to try and work out a long term deal. That’s how much they liked him. Kid wanted to be a starter though so they held tight until now, until the last moment. 

I suppose he still could’ve been franchised, but it’s unclear whether that price in 2018 would be too costly or if they didn’t expect him to be quite cooperative being franchised. Maybe a little of both. 

Either way, still wish there was a way to have kept him going forward. 

45 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

Yeah but you still have to field a roster. There is zero chance that Bill just flat out gives up on the season even with Brady out. It'sd strange, even with Edelman being out as the emergency backup. I guess i might as well send my resume to bill tomorrow morning. lol

There is, but realistically he knows the score. Losing Brady is likely conceding the season anyways. 

Disappointed that they didn't see this coming in the offseason. Jimmy was never going to be happy signing a long-term deal with no sign of Tom retiring. The franchise tag was never a viable option given how much of their cap space would be tied up. To be fair they did a good job of getting essentially a late 1st rounder back (a helluva lot more than they got for Jamie Collins in a similar situation), but if the reports of them being offered a 1st round pick plus in the offseason were true, that was a serious mistake to turn that down.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

They'll probably bring in Hoyer. 

Hoyer's return to New England 'all but a done deal.'

Mike Reiss says that trading Garoppolo to the 49ers proves the Patriots' confidence in 40-year-old Brady and reports on the near deal to have former backup QB Brian Hoyer back in Foxborough.

Yep. I'll almost guarantee that it was part of the actual deal. Probably talked to Hoyer about it to before the deal was consummated to make sure that he was on the same page. His money was locked in by the 49ers, so no issues there, and by releasing and signing him, BB doesn't have to deal with the second year on the contract. He comes in for the rest of the season, and then he's gone. 

Archived