Elden Ring

showtime

On 3/4/2022 at 3:25 AM, animaltested said:

You get it from

Reveal hidden contents

the Witch who shows up at the starting church (Santa Claus cosplay vendor) if you rest there a couple of times.

Had apparently played too long before visiting the church at night so had to buy the things from the lady at RoundTable.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:14 AM, Spartacus said:

Only boss I have no interest in fighting solo. Seems like his whole schtick is based on attacking him with an army of people. I cheesed him hard by using dragon rot and just summoning guy after guy to keep aggro off of me. Tried fighting him straight up a few times and got slaughtered and I have solo beat every FromSoft game since Demon Souls so i'm pretty damn good. 

I'm fighting him now and same here, he completely ruined my hope to solo the whole game.

In fact at the moment he's ruining my enjoyment of the game. This fight just feels so out of place and doesn't feel like a real test of skills.

So far I've died twice before reaching him (figuring out what is going on), died once fighting him in the first stage, and died twice after he turns into a meteor and lands right on me. If it wasn't a mandatory boss fight I'd just be skipping it and moving on with my life.

I ended up cheesing Radahn.

Spoiler

I looked online and found that he crumbles in the face of Scarlet Rot, so I went and acquired Rotten Breath. Made him a cakewalk.

Not sorry. I had no desire to spend the next week fighting him.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, Jetzger said:

Currently trying to beat Radahn without using spirits or any of the summons in the arena.  I'll let y'all guess how that's going haha. 

I beat him last night after about 2-2.5 hours of straight attempts. The fight is incredibly unique and fun, but also very frustrating and luck based. I was level 62 when I beat him. I got lucky with bleed and had him down to super low health before he 'disappeared' to go into his 2nd phase. Otherwise, on previous attempts, I'd have his health down to his name and those 4 homing meteors would destroy me every time. It's a really tough fight for different reasons than normal- you need Torrent to move around effectively at a good speed, but he can't dodge anything. You need help from the summons to draw aggro and deal chip damage, but they occupy physical space in the game so they can get in the way of your spacing/dodge rolls at inopportune times. The biggest problem I had with him is how unforgiving the fight is overall. I was dead to any 2 hits, and his combos are long, have range, and can hit anywhere around him. It was really, really hard and a little frustrating, but I'm glad I didn't cheese him and it was fun, but I'm glad it is over. The lore and story surrounding him is probably my favorite in any Souls game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Apparition said:

I think my most hated boss in the game is Commander Niall. Just an atrocious encounter design. 

Commander Niall is easy. Witching branch is your best friend in that fight and a fairly interesting mechanic for those who pay attention to the items. The only boss fight I absolutely despise is the Auriza Hero's Grave Crucible Knight Duo. Just such an uninteresting slog of a crappy boss fight. 

Other then that the human centipedes and the large spider hands suck the most. 

Edited by Spartacus

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Commander Niall is easy. Witching branch is your best friend in that fight and a fairly interesting mechanic for those who pay attention to the items. The only boss fight I absolutely despise is the Auriza Hero's Grave Crucible Knight Duo. Just such an uninteresting slog of a crappy boss fight. 

Other then that the human centipedes and the large spider hands suck the most. 

having to use a witching branch to give players a chance is kind of a bs way to design a fight IMO

anyway, I'm at Malenia now and hoooooooooly crap...

I got to Leyndell, Royal Capital today and have been exploring for a few hours. My god, I love this place.

It's got such a pure Dark Souls feeling here. Massive labyrinthine city area with shortcuts dotted through it (now including jumping from roof to roof), so much to find, and enemies around every corner including some big, tough ones you might want to run away from. The best time I've had in the game so far after the initial wow-feeling from the massive open world. And I haven't even found any bosses here yet.

• Like 1

Progression question: I currently

Spoiler

Have beaten Godrick, Rennala, and Radahn. Activated Godrick's great rune, not the other 2. Fully explored Limgrave and mostly explored Liurnia (haven't gotten to that plateau in the southwestern most corner yet, but I think you get there after Ranni's quest). I have been to the Altus Plateau and ran through the gates to get to the first Royal Capital grace point, but otherwise haven't done anything there. I just unlocked Nokron. I haven't explored much of Caelid at all.

Where should I go/what should I do next: explore Altus Plateau, explore Caelid, Leyndell, or Nokron?

15 hours ago, Apparition said:

having to use a witching branch to give players a chance is kind of a bs way to design a fight IMO

FromSoft did this with Sekiro too. There were a few enemies (Corrupted Monk most notably) who were super, super weak to a very specific item that was limited in quantity. It's slightly frustrating, but I appreciate that they reward players who read item descriptions diligently and try out interesting and unique strategies.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Progression question: I currently

Hide contents

Have beaten Godrick, Rennala, and Radahn. Activated Godrick's great rune, not the other 2. Fully explored Limgrave and mostly explored Liurnia (haven't gotten to that plateau in the southwestern most corner yet, but I think you get there after Ranni's quest). I have been to the Altus Plateau and ran through the gates to get to the first Royal Capital grace point, but otherwise haven't done anything there. I just unlocked Nokron. I haven't explored much of Caelid at all.

Where should I go/what should I do next: explore Altus Plateau, explore Caelid, Leyndell, or Nokron?

I would do Nokron first, overall it's a slightly lower "intended level" area than the other two.  Definitely explore Altus and Caelid before you do Leyndell. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jetzger said:

I would do Nokron first, overall it's a slightly lower "intended level" area than the other two.  Definitely explore Altus and Caelid before you do Leyndell. 

Great! That's what I wanted to do anyway, since I wanted to complete Ranni's/Blaidd's questline and I think that is the next step in doing so.