Kyrie Irving requesting trade out of Cleveland

titans0021

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, cool I guess.

I'm just curious in an era of superteams what "his own team" looks like and how they compete.

LeBron couldn't get regular rest without the second unit (led by Kyrie) losing leads.  The Cavs record without LeBron is horrific.  Kyrie is as talented of a scorer as anyone in the game but he hasn't had much success without LeBron on the floor with him.

I agree. A Kyrie led team probably isn't that great. A place like San Antonio, Denver, or Milwaukee etc would be interesting because he'd be the go-to scorer and the most relative star on the team while not being the best player and the guy making the team go. 

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

He's a superstar (in his mind and popularity wise) that is the #2 guy on his team. He wants his own team. I understand it. 

i think the "his own team" things is being overblown. i still believe he thinks lebron is leaving, and he doesn't want to be stuck with the aftermath. 

that, or he doesn't like playing with lebron that much. 

i agree with you that i think a team like san antonio, denver, milwaukee or similar would be best. he can do what he does best (score) and allow other players (e.g. jokic, giannis) to do their things.

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

He's a superstar (in his mind and popularity wise) that is the #2 guy on his team. He wants his own team. I understand it. 

true but whatever team he goes too, wont be built to fully support him.

what kind of team does Irving need around him?

For Irving to be successful, I would assume he needs two shooters on the floor to dish it when defenses collapse. A rebounder to gather missed shots or when Irving misses a shot, and a defensive  center who can erase his poor defense.

That is pretty much what Cleveland has minus the defensive center.

If a team has to be perfectly built for him, its going to be hard for him to win. He had a pretty solid surrounding cast around him in Cleveland and he still struggled to carry the team when Lebron was off the floor and everything was going through him.

I was a big Irving fan but I dont know If I see him as a true #1/franchise carrying kinda player. I think his defense hinders that and I want to see him try to keep it up when he is truly asked to carry the team to the playoffs if he doesnt go to a team like Minny or Spurs.

1 hour ago, IrishGreen said:

i think the "his own team" things is being overblown. i still believe he thinks lebron is leaving, and he doesn't want to be stuck with the aftermath. 

that, or he doesn't like playing with lebron that much. 

i agree with you that i think a team like san antonio, denver, milwaukee or similar would be best. he can do what he does best (score) and allow other players (e.g. jokic, giannis) to do their things.

I dont think the aftermath would truly be that bad. The first season after Lebron would be rough because they wouldnt have  that much cap space but the following year, the only ppl potential to be under contract and worth a damn would be Love, Irving, Thompson, and maybe Cedi. Love and Irving have a great year, they could try and lure a FA to come and play with them. 

By the 2nd year year the team could be fully built around Irving. Hell Love could be traded for other pieces around Irving, even tho I think Irving and Love would be good together.

1 hour ago, jfinley88 said:

ORL seems like they're positioning themselves to make a trade fwiw. 

What kind of package could/would Orlando offer up that would entice Cleveland to move him?  Assuming Cleveland actually does follow up on moving him, they're looking for win-now pieces.  Don't think Orlando really has that to offer.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What kind of package could/would Orlando offer up that would entice Cleveland to move him?  Assuming Cleveland actually does follow up on moving him, they're looking for win-now pieces.  Don't think Orlando really has that to offer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaryr5n2

Orlando

Kyrie | Mack | Augustin
Fournier | Afflalo | Shumpert 
Simmons | Hezonja | Iwundu
Isaac | Frye
Biyombo | Speights | Birch

Cleveland

Rose | Payton
Ross | Korver | Smith
LeBron | Green | Osman
Love | Gordon
Vucevic | Thompson

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

true but whatever team he goes too, wont be built to fully support him.

what kind of team does Irving need around him?

For Irving to be successful, I would assume he needs two shooters on the floor to dish it when defenses collapse. A rebounder to gather missed shots or when Irving misses a shot, and a defensive  center who can erase his poor defense.

That is pretty much what Cleveland has minus the defensive center.

If a team has to be perfectly built for him, its going to be hard for him to win. He had a pretty solid surrounding cast around him in Cleveland and he still struggled to carry the team when Lebron was off the floor and everything was going through him.

I was a big Irving fan but I dont know If I see him as a true #1/franchise carrying kinda player. I think his defense hinders that and I want to see him try to keep it up when he is truly asked to carry the team to the playoffs if he doesnt go to a team like Minny or Spurs.

i mean what you said is pretty much exactly what I said. He'd be best in a place where he is the clutch time scorer, but not the best player. 

10 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

strong pass then just cause kyrie could bolt soon obviously. 

a blue chip prospect would be necessary to make it happen, IMO.

Orlando is too far away from being good to make it worth it. More interesting for a team like Denver imo bc w Irving they would be a good playoff team

19 hours ago, Raves said:

Sounds like the relationship is pretty much in the toilet now.  Sure they might be able to swallow their pride if need be to play the season, but I wouldn't be too sure it wouldn't just blow up as well.  Obviously when you trade a player like Irving, you will get significantly worse as it's almost impossible to get fair value as typically you trade them when you are wanting to rebuild so you get a lot of young players with great potential rather than looking to win right now.  If they are looking to make a trade with Irving where they arguably remain as good overall, though a huge downgrade at PG, the trade where teh Cavs get Bledsoe and Melo for Irving/Shump/Frye makes sense, especially with the Rose signing, as their roster would be:

PG-Derrick Rose/Eric Bledsoe/Kay Felder

SG-JR Smith/Kyle Korver

SF-LeBron James/Cedi Osman

PF-Carmelo Anthony/Kevin Love

C-Tristan Thompson/Edy Tavares

Lots of other ways you can look at starting line-ups including going for a bigger starting line-up with James/Melo/Love all starting, even possibly with TT as well.

Why would you start Rose over Bledsoe?  Bledsoe is twice as good as Rose, if not 3x better.

Archived