Kyrie Irving requesting trade out of Cleveland

titans0021

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically, what do you think happens with this?  Supposedly the only teams he wants to get traded to are the Knicks, Spurs, Heat, and Wolves.  And according to Ian Begley, the Knicks would offer Carmelo and picks for him.

Realistically I think he gets moved to the Magic.

I don't know much about Koby Altman, and possibly one of our trusted Cavs fans has more insight than I do on him. But I couldn't find much on him other than "Gilbert was highly impressed with his work after Griffin and the team went their separate ways"

My thoughts ultimately believe that he's just a great yes man and is one of Gilberts lap dogs that will do anything to impress him.

He's not going to the Knicks, with LeBron's imminent departure there is no way Melo would agree to live in a city like Cleveland without a guarantee of a finals appearance. I don't see him moving to the Spurs as they seemed to have learned their lesson about bringing in inefficient players already with Aldridge. He also doesn't seem like a player like Popovich would want if he's tired of playing with LeBron, as Pop and LeBron are fairly open with their relationship. The Heat have a good enough point guard already, and made previously mentioned on coaches. If he doesn't want to play with LeBron, I doubt Spoelstra is going to like his attitude. Goran is getting up there in age, but with Miami already top ten in salary pay out I don't see adding on another 20 million being all that worth it to them. Considering they'll need to run a whole new offense through Irving. And the Wolves are far too young and none of their core pieces are moving for a possible 2 year rental. Also coaching comes into mention again, as Thibs won't want someone on his team who doesn't give 100% every possession.

I say the Magic are a good landing spot as Hammond will likely look to make a splash with his new team. As well as them having a ton of B level young talent on smaller contracts. I'm not going to simulate this so I'm not 100% sure if the salary demands would work. But I could see Payton and Ross coupled with a 2018 1st for Irving and maybe a protected 1st sometime in the future.

But I'm not a GM, and hate to speculate trades.

Where Kyrie wants to go does matter, especially since it's been leaked.  If Gilbert doesn't at least try to move him to one of those teams, unless of course the Cavs get an amazing offer from another team they can't turn down, then he's going to get even worse of an image to players.  By trying to accommodate Kyrie it at least shows that he's will to try and help players even if they aren't going to be with the team anymore and might repair some of the damage from "The Letter" though outside of LeBron I don't see why people should care.  It wasn't at any other player that left, it was at a single player who had kept holding the franchise hostage and then backstabbed them when Gilbert was under the impression, based on what LeBron had been saying/doing, that LeBron was returning.  I mean LeBron's doing the same thing to the franchise again with being non-committal which makes it almost impossible to sign FAs to vet min contracts like what GSW did.  Several of the players that went to GSW could've been paid the same by the Cavs but why would they come somewhere when LeBron isn't showing the commitment to the team?  With Kyrie, I can see why he doesn't want to play with the prima dona.  The team has to be built to fit the way he plays, he wants "his guys" and forces us to outbid ourselves for their services, and then he doesn't even make the commitment to the team or try to recruit players so they can actually improve.  Even with a lack of long term contract players would've signed if LeBron told them that it was simply his way of getting the max amount of money, but that obviously isn't happening.

So screw LeBron and him coming back to the Cavs.  The title was nice but he screwed up what could've been developed into a special team for a much longer period of time.

4 hours ago, Gmen4ev said:

But I could see Payton and Ross coupled with a 2018 1st for Irving and maybe a protected 1st sometime in the future.

But I'm not a GM, and hate to speculate trades.

more than cool w/ that & i'm a "kyrie hater". i'd even include Vuc and take on one of their bad contracts. 

& just to clarify, keep seeing peeps refer to hammond as ORL's decision maker... that's like saying Weltman was calling shots in TOR.

Weltman is the "ORL GM". Hammond is the AGM. 

Just now, jfinley88 said:

more than cool w/ that & i'm a "kyrie hater". i'd even include Vuc and take on one of their bad contracts. 

& just to clarify, keep seeing peeps refer to hammond as ORL's decision maker... that's like saying Weltman was calling shots in TOR.

Weltman is the "ORL GM". Hammond is the AGM. 

I was fully unaware that Weltman was in charge. Realistically only did a google search for Orlando's GM and didn't delve much further into that.

Good to know.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Where Kyrie wants to go does matter, especially since it's been leaked.  If Gilbert doesn't at least try to move him to one of those teams, unless of course the Cavs get an amazing offer from another team they can't turn down, then he's going to get even worse of an image to players.  By trying to accommodate Kyrie it at least shows that he's will to try and help players even if they aren't going to be with the team anymore and might repair some of the damage from "The Letter" though outside of LeBron I don't see why people should care.  It wasn't at any other player that left, it was at a single player who had kept holding the franchise hostage and then backstabbed them when Gilbert was under the impression, based on what LeBron had been saying/doing, that LeBron was returning.  I mean LeBron's doing the same thing to the franchise again with being non-committal which makes it almost impossible to sign FAs to vet min contracts like what GSW did.  Several of the players that went to GSW could've been paid the same by the Cavs but why would they come somewhere when LeBron isn't showing the commitment to the team?  With Kyrie, I can see why he doesn't want to play with the prima dona.  The team has to be built to fit the way he plays, he wants "his guys" and forces us to outbid ourselves for their services, and then he doesn't even make the commitment to the team or try to recruit players so they can actually improve.  Even with a lack of long term contract players would've signed if LeBron told them that it was simply his way of getting the max amount of money, but that obviously isn't happening.

So screw LeBron and him coming back to the Cavs.  The title was nice but he screwed up what could've been developed into a special team for a much longer period of time.

How does it make it impossible to get guys to commit to one year deals? That's atrocious logic.

I think they stick together this year and either make a trade at the deadline where they get good enough to loose to GS in 5 or they stay put and get swept. Then Bron goes, then Kyrie and Klove get traded for a good amount of assets.

Kevin Durant out here destroying the league with 1 move xD

24 minutes ago, CrashMan510 said:

I think they stick together this year and either make a trade at the deadline where they get good enough to loose to GS in 5 or they stay put and get swept. Then Bron goes, then Kyrie and Klove get traded for a good amount of assets.

Kevin Durant out here destroying the league with 1 move xD

Not sure what move they could make to get "good enough"/better, they're already a far and away 2nd best team in the leauge. Getting better at this stage is going to be hard unless they bring in a healthy Embiid.

1 hour ago, Gmen4ev said:

Not sure what move they could make to get "good enough"/better, they're already a far and away 2nd best team in the leauge. Getting better at this stage is going to be hard unless they bring in a healthy Embiid.

A move good enough to not loose in 4 to the Warriors. aka another Korver type move. If they stay pat they are getting swept

Just now, CrashMan510 said:

A move good enough to not loose in 4 to the Warriors. aka another Korver type move. If they stay pat they are getting swept

Yeah I understand what you meant. Just don't believe there is a realistic move they could make that will help them improve any more. Maybe bringing in Rose for a 1 year deal will give their bench more depth. But to a point they're only getting 1% better. They'd need to make a real splash if they even wanted to compete with the Warriors. And I don't think making a "Korver" type deal helps them much at this stage.

30 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Minnesota could make sense with Wiggins as the centerpiece. 

Jimmy Butler loves him some Kyrie, he might have enough pull to get that one done. 

Butler has no pull with the Cavs. That would be weird for the Cavs to trade for Wiggins since they traded him for Love. Plus Wiggins hasnt really proven that much.

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Butler has no pull with the Cavs. That would be weird for the Cavs to trade for Wiggins since they traded him for Love. Plus Wiggins hasnt really proven that much.

Pull with the Wolves

Wiggins + Tyus Jones for Kyrie is an offer that I'd take if I was Cleveland. 

22 hours ago, utley4568 said:

It really doesn't matter who he wants to get moved to. He doesn't have a NTC.

I wasn't trying to imply that he had that much leverage.  The problem is the Cavaliers are clearly a win-now team, which means rebuilding pieces aren't going to be what they're looking for.  And for teams acquiring Kyrie Irving, you're probably looking at a team that has a more win-now mode, which creates an issue.  Both teams want win-now players, so you're either giving up rebuilding pieces from a team that wants to win now OR you're essentially trying to find a PG swap.  How many PGs are out there that wouldn't be a significant drop off from Irving and their teams would view it was an upgrade?

Wiggins has either signed or is on the verge of signing a $140-150m extension, yes? Minnesota is on Kyrie's preferred destination list. With the addition of Butler and the chance to add Kyrie this would make Wiggins somewhat expendable. The Cavs would have Wiggins under control for several years and after LeBron leaves. 

However LeBron will be there and LeBron purposefully left Wiggins out of his little love note obviously he was in control and knew that was an asset that would need to be dealt in order to get a proven star.

Would LeBron want Wiggins back? Would Wiggins really want to go to Cleveland after that? 

If you believe LeBron will 100% leave sure do this try and compete with GS or whatever you think you can do with this team but this certainly won't entice him to stay, will it? Then next year it's Wiggins, Love and a bunch of old heads that will likely win 38 games. 

42 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Pull with the Wolves

Wiggins + Tyus Jones for Kyrie is an offer that I'd take if I was Cleveland. 

I'm saying that would be an obvious move for the Wolves to make. The team you would have to convince to make that move is the Cavs, where Butler has no say. 

Wiggins doesn't do anything besides iso score. He's a worse version of Derozan. I don't think he would be that appealing to the Cavs. Especially since they traded him in the first place.

Archived