17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

31 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Yeah, don't trade for Giancarlo Stanton because he's too expensive and just sign one of the other Giancarlo Stantons out there. 

How about just keep the future 6 WAR corner outfielder on your team, who is 22 and free for the next half decade? 

I'm not saying Stanton isn't great and teams shouldn't try to get him but trading a cost controlled 22 year old former top-5 prospect, whose already a borderline all-star caliber player, just for the privilege of paying someone an above market contract until they are 38 is ridiculous no matter how good that someone is.  And Giancarlo Stanton isn't even a top-5 player in baseball.

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

How about just keep the future 6 WAR corner outfielder on your team, who is 22 and free for the next half decade? 

I'm not saying Stanton isn't great and teams shouldn't try to get him but trading a cost controlled 22 year old former top-5 prospect, whose already a borderline all-star caliber player, just for the privilege of paying someone an above market contract until they are 38 is ridiculous no matter how good that someone is.  And Giancarlo Stanton isn't even a top-5 player in baseball.

I mean I think Beni is more likely a 3-4 win player but yeah, I get not wanting to trade him. 

I think fairish value for Stanton and his entire contract is something like Sixto Sanchez, Adonis Medina, and Nick Williams (or Scott Kingery, if you prefer). 

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I mean there's a reasonable argument to be made that the Red Sox have a better right fielder than Giancarlo Stanton... 

They don't. But also they could just move Betts to center and trade JBJ. They might do that for JD Martinez.

Just now, NewAge said:

They don't. But also they could just move Betts to center and trade JBJ. They might do that for JD Martinez.

I tend to agree with you because home runs are more important than defense, but are we just going to ignore that Giancarlo Stanton has missed a million games, or never hit 40 home runs before last season, or that he hit .240 a year ago?  He's an insanely talented player but has weaknesses and gets injured an awful lot for me to want to pay him 300/10.  If this was 5 years ago or he had a different contract, this would be a much different story. 

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I tend to agree with you because home runs are more important than defense, but are we just going to ignore that Giancarlo Stanton has missed a million games, or never hit 40 home runs before last season, or that he hit .240 a year ago?  He's an insanely talented player but has weaknesses and gets injured an awful lot for me to want to pay him 300/10.  If this was 5 years ago or he had a different contract, this would be a much different story. 

On 11/11/2017 at 3:57 PM, playmaker8267 said:

A divisional team, two NL teams, and an AL team with Davey Dombrowski at the wheel. All of this bodes really well for the Red Sox. I've argued in my mind of whether I actually want this to happen, because I know any deal is going to involve a king's ransom going back to the Marlins. If the cost is 1) Benintendi or Devers, 2) Jay Groome, and 3) a couple other top 15 prospects.. I do it. It would sting to trade Benintendi (he makes more sense given he's an outfielder) especially since we traded Yoan Moncada last year, but the window is the window.

I'd like to see Stanton at Fenway purely because it'd be fun to see a baseball actually go through the Green Monster.

A little late to the party, but can't imagine the Sox would be willing to move Benintendi or Devers.  Their package starts with Groome, and goes from there.  Is there enough?  Maybe.

40 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Just glanced at it, doesn't seem like there is a ton of detail here, but think I have two issues with the methodology:

1. Its looking at the population of players, rather than the sub-set of players who have been injured most often.  Obviously most players who get hurt are no more or less likely to get hurt in the future, but in a certain sub group of the population (the Pavanos, etc.) I would guess there is a very strong link.  We only care about the outliers here. 

2. Injury prone players are more likely to have career ending injuries and therefore drop out of the sample, so they are under represented. 

It would be interesting to compare players who have missed, say, at least 50 games due to three separate injuries to the general population. 

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A little late to the party, but can't imagine the Sox would be willing to move Benintendi or Devers.  Their package starts with Groome, and goes from there.  Is there enough?  Maybe.

I don't get the fascination with Groome.  A-ball pitchers should not be headliners for superstars.

3 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I don't get the fascination with Groome.  A-ball pitchers should not be headliners for superstars.

IF Stanton was on a halfway reasonable deal, I'd absolutely agree.  But there's only a handful of franchises who can take on that contract that doesn't either break their financial restraints or pushes them significant into the luxury tax territory.  But he's not.  He's due a TON of money, and no guarantee to opt out of his deal.

Just now, CWood21 said:

IF Stanton was on a halfway reasonable deal, I'd absolutely agree.  But there's only a handful of franchises who can take on that contract that doesn't either break their financial restraints or pushes them significant into the luxury tax territory.  But he's not.  He's due a TON of money, and no guarantee to opt out of his deal.

Ugh but the Marlins can do better than Groome can't they???

Archived