17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260157832/predicting-spots-for-top-25-mlb-free-agents/

Gotta love Duquette thinking Astros wont go after free agents. I doubt Rangers get both Arrieta and Lynn.

And I thought MLBTR's predictions were bad...this takes it to a whole new level.  Despite having plenty of money to spend, their signing a utility player to a 4 year, $40M deal whose a 2 WAR player at best over the course of his contract.  To be the super sub?  Lulz.

1 hour ago, CAS22 said:

To be honest TF, don't think the Astros are going to go after much in FA.  Maybe someone like Boone Logan but their quest for a OF bat will come via trade if I had to guess.

I dont expect us to be major players either but I at least hope we get a bullpen arm in free agency. Just one and I'll be happy LOL

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And I thought MLBTR's predictions were bad...this takes it to a whole new level.  Despite having plenty of money to spend, their signing a utility player to a 4 year, $40M deal whose a 2 WAR player at best over the course of his contract.  To be the super sub?  Lulz.

And the Giants, who really don't have any money this off season, are going to sign two of the top free agent outfielders. 

Just now, Forge said:

And the Giants, who really don't have any money this off season, are going to sign two of the top free agent outfielders. 

I guess you might be able to explain this one...how are the Giants constantly linked to Stanton?  IF they don't really have much financial wiggle room, and their farm system is pretty weak, why do they keep getting discussed as serious contenders for Stanton?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I guess you might be able to explain this one...how are the Giants constantly linked to Stanton?  IF they don't really have much financial wiggle room, and their farm system is pretty weak, why do they keep getting discussed as serious contenders for Stanton?

I honestly have no idea. Right now, I believe that we have the highest payroll actually on the roster heading into the season (159m, about 3.5 more than the Dodgers). And that's for 11 guys. Seriously. Posey, Cueto, Madbum, Moore, Pence, Span, Panda, Crawford, Belt, Shark and Melancon. That figure doesn't include arbitration eligible guys (5 or 6, I believe), many of whom will see a decent raise (IE, Panik should see an increase of about 3 million, I think projected it's going to be about another 13-14 million between those 5 guys). We also have pre-arb guys, and while it's likely most of them will just grab the minimum That's a few more million. So between all of them, that should put us around 177-180? Last year we were a shade under 200 million, and I think we are like 3 time luxury tax offenders? I'm not 100% on that. 

But we've definitely shown a lot of interest in him, so apparently, we are willing to take on the contract / luxury tax implications. If it were just Jon Heyman (earlier this month, he said we were the favorites to land him), I'd probably disregard it, but Nightengale has stated similar and some exec with the Marlins specifically called out the giants as being the team that had shown the most interest in Stanton thus far. But even if you are willing to take on the contract, there's still the issue of the prospects. Our farm system is pretty bad, and it's old to boot. Obviously if we are taking on the entire contract, we are going to get a discount on the prospect cost, but I still don't know that we have the prospects to make that work. We basically have 1 or 2 top 100 prospects in Beede and Arroyo, and that's it. 

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

To me, Houston has a great lineup, loads of talent on the team, defending World Series champs, can't see them doing much tweaking either.

Did you see our bullpen? I don't think they're as bad as they played in the postseason, a lot of guys underperformed like Devo and Giles, but they still need improvements. I think we'll get a BP arm too. 

7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I'm way too excited to see what the Marlins do. I wanna see if Jeter strikes a deal with the Yankees right off the bat just for the lulz.

I can't believe we are about to see Stanton get traded coming off the season he just had. 

Why would the Yankees trade for him though? They are good without him, never mind the young pieces and money they’d have to shell out

Archived