17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

6 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

I'm just thinking about what the Marlins are going to demand. Aside from Groome, we really don't have another A-list prospect to dangle, and Groome is so far away from the majors that I see him as a secondary piece in the Marlins' return. I'd hate to trade Devers too but it's tough to envision a trade being completed without Devers or Benintendi included. Especially if other teams make this a bidding war.

Jackie Bradley, Eduardo Rodriguez, Jay Groome, and Tanner Houck could be a descent package if Miami doesnt eat anything.

2 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Jackie Bradley, Eduardo Rodriguez, Jay Groome, and Tanner Houck could be a descent package if Miami doesnt eat anything.

For Marcell Ozuna maybe. 

Like I wouldn't be shocked if this is close to the actual return but that would be an awful move for Miami.

15 hours ago, playmaker8267 said:

I'm just thinking about what the Marlins are going to demand. Aside from Groome, we really don't have another A-list prospect to dangle, and Groome is so far away from the majors that I see him as a secondary piece in the Marlins' return. I'd hate to trade Devers too but it's tough to envision a trade being completed without Devers or Benintendi included. Especially if other teams make this a bidding war.

Why would you trade an A-list prospect for a guy with a $300M contract though?  Unless that guys Mike Trout or maybe Harper, it doesn’t make sense. 

Stanton is great and would be fun in Fenway but realistically he’s in his late 20s and has alternated the last six years between MVP type seasons and major injury seasons and will be the highest paid player in baseball or close to it until he’s 38.  Benentendi will never have Stantons power but he could absolutely be an MVP caliber player someday and he’s 22 and essentially free for the next 6 years.  Very rare to have a 20-22 year old who is proven as a capable MLB player and has superstar upside, the Sox have two and they shouldn’t trade them. The choice isn’t a guy like Benentendi or Stanton.  Its whether you’d want Benentendi, JD Martinez, and a couple good relievers or Stanton because that’s what you could get with the money.

If the Marlins want to move Stanton they aren’t going to get full salary relief AND an A+ trade chip.  If they want someone like Benentendi they will need to eat a ton of money, and at that point they might as well just hang onto Stanton and build around him. 

15 hours ago, CAS22 said:

Benintendi has to be in the trade assuming Devers is untouchable.

Think about it this way, if Stanton were a free agent would the Marlins give him $300M in a vacuum? 

If not, why would they need a top prospect or young MLB stud in return just to dump that contract?  If they aren’t eating money they should be getting back a small package just to save face and any MLB team would be crazy to give them much more. 

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

Why would you trade an A-list prospect for a guy with a $300M contract though?  Unless that guys Mike Trout or maybe Harper, it doesn’t make sense. 

Stanton is great and would be fun in Fenway but realistically he’s in his late 20s and has alternated the last six years between MVP type seasons and major injury seasons and will be the highest paid player in baseball or close to it until he’s 38.  Benentendi will never have Stantons power but he could absolutely be an MVP caliber player someday and he’s 22 and essentially free for the next 6 years.  Very rare to have a 20-22 year old who is proven as a capable MLB player and has superstar upside, the Sox have two and they shouldn’t trade them. The choice isn’t a guy like Benentendi or Stanton.  Its whether you’d want Benentendi, JD Martinez, and a couple good relievers or Stanton because that’s what you could get with the money.

If the Marlins want to move Stanton they aren’t going to get full salary relief AND an A+ trade chip.  If they want someone like Benentendi they will need to eat a ton of money, and at that point they might as well just hang onto Stanton and build around him. 

It's up to how much $$$ they are willing to eat as I've said.

Archived