17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Big deals stay secret all the time. The Lucroy deal leaked because the Brewers FO leaked it. Hell, the night the deal was agreed to, David Stearns showed up on the Brewers TV broadcast and gave a "well it's not official until it's official but there are reports out there" answer. If the Marlins have concerns about the team they are trading Stanton to, they won't leak it. These deals are known by 3 parties, the 2 teams involved and the player/agent. None of those parties are going to have any incentive to leak that a deal was agreed to, then nixed by Stanton's no-trade clause. If the Astros transcripts should tell us anything, it's that most big name trade discussions aren't leaked.

I guess I remain more skeptical that ALL parties will keep quiet.  Remember, it only takes one person to leak something for it to come to attention.  You're telling me that you think every party is going to keep quiet until the deal is officially sent to the league office to be approved?  I guess I'll remain skeptical that happens.

But honestly, having egg on your face in a newspaper isn't that big a deal. How many casual baseball fans remember trades that get nixed, like Lucroy-Indians, Gomez-Mets, or any number of the Orioles trades? It's really not that big a deal, and absolutely not worth reducing the number of teams making offers. Especially when the majority of teams can't afford him.

First off, the Lucroy and Gomez deal ended up netting better packages for the Brewers.  Remember how upset you were when you heard that Zach Wheeler was the return for Gomez?  As for the Orioles, they nix trades because of medicals all the time.  They're known for it.  And how many times have they taken a PR hit for them nixing a trade?  Too many times to count.

No one has ever said the Marlins "have" to move $40M. There have been reports that it is a goal from ownership, but they aren't going to rush to sell Stanton when he's under contract for either 3 years or more than a decade because they absolutely need to move him now. You're trying to drum up this sense of urgency that just isn't going to be there.

Unless I've misunderstood Jeter's comments, they have to drop payroll significantly.  And from what I've seen $90M is roughly where they're targeting their payroll to be for the upcoming season and the next one until their new TV contract kicks in.  That's $40M give or take.  Do you truly believe they're going to go into the 2018 season with a payroll north of where it was this year?  Not a chance.  You can sugarcoat it however you want, but their payroll has to come down.  It's already been discussed ad nauseam.

Dee Gordon gets you $10M, Prado probably saves you $10-15M over the life of the deal, so let's call it $5M. That's $15M. Brad Ziegler is movable, that gets you to $24M. You're already within somewhere $15M of the ownership goal whether or not you trade Stanton, and ownership isn't going to lose leverage on a potential half a billion dollar deal because of $15M.

First off, you shrug off that $15M difference as it's nothing.  That's still a good amount of money.  Secondly, I'm not advocating that they dump Stanton off for the first halfway decent offer.  But you said it yourself, the Marlins are stuck in between a rock and a hard place because of that contract.  They need to shed salary AND Stanton's contract is cumbersome.  I'm not sure what's changed about your stance several days ago and now.

Do you think the Marlins can field a competitive baseball team with Stanton's contract still on the books with the ~$90M payroll constraints?

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

The percentage of multiple Cy winners in the HOF is pretty damn high, what do you guys think Kluber's chances are

The two Cys are nice, but he's at a 27 War (granted, almost all over 4 years, which is impressive as hell) and he's going to be what, 32 next year? He definitely needs more peak seasons. Right now, he's in that Brandon Webb tier. Maybe a little bit higher, but pretty comparable all told to one another. I'd give Kluber the edge just based on better peripherals overall, but not by enough that he's a hall of famer and Webb isn't. I don't see him slowing down at the current point in time, but you kind of never know when that is going to hit someone. If he doesn't put together a few more good seasons like he has the last 4, I don't think that he gets in. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that comes as a shock. It's the only real reason the Giants have a shot - if they're willing to hit the luxury tax again and take on the full deal, then they can probably swing some sort of package. 

I don't understand the tweet's logic.  Why does that mean the Marlins have to include cash?  Of course a 28 year old locked up to a contract will cost moe in assets to acquire than a free agent.

Archived